Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Red Rocks

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Not a great showing in the Super Six last night. Started the event on floor, typically our best scored event, only to pull in a season low score. And then followed that up with another season low on vault.

    They ended up repeating last year’s finish in fifth.

    Kudos to UCLA. They looked to be in solid third place but roared to a national championship by scoring a 10 on their last event. Peng-Peng Lee actually scored two 10s in her last two event. Glad that someone besides Oklahoma won.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MaKenna struggled when the pressure was on.

    I think Tom is right, the team put too much internal emphasis into being perfect, who knows why.

    Next years team is loaded. It’s a good recruiting class and Tiffani Lewis is the only major on floor loss, although losing Maddy is a blow off the floor


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #32
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    MaKenna struggled when the pressure was on.

    I think Tom is right, the team put too much internal emphasis into being perfect, who knows why.

    Next years team is loaded. It’s a good recruiting class and Tiffani Lewis is the only major on floor loss, although losing Maddy is a blow off the floor


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    just read on the twitter that they will return 20 of 24 routines

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    although losing Maddy is a blow off the floor


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    do you mean off the beam?

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    do you mean off the beam?
    No. Outside of the gym.

    She was a great lead beam worker, but her leadership was far more valuable.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #35
    Is it true that our fans were screaming at the judges? I think this was in the top 12, not the super 6 that I had seen it reported.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,162
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Is it true that our fans were screaming at the judges? I think this was in the top 12, not the super 6 that I had seen it reported.
    wow, I hope not. A couple things I don't understand about collegiate gymnastics.

    maybe I'm wrong, but I get the sense that Utah gymnastics isn't viewed favorably by other gymnastics programs. Some of that is jealousy, size of the fan base, making the meets more like a rock concert vs. a piano recital. On Friday someone hired a plane to fly around St. Louis with the Drum n' Feather flag. I'm guessing no other fan base is doing that? The gymternet which I've never visited seems to have a hate relationship with Skinner (which I don't understand).

    the other thing that's seems unfair is that UCLA opts to have their gymnast specialize. If one is great at the floor but weak at the vault, they'll only do 1 or 2 routines. That seems weirdly unfair.

    bottom line I don't understand this sport as well as I'd like to.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Is it true that our fans were screaming at the judges? I think this was in the top 12, not the super 6 that I had seen it reported.
    I give the fans a pass on this one.




  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    wow, I hope not. A couple things I don't understand about collegiate gymnastics.

    maybe I'm wrong, but I get the sense that Utah gymnastics isn't viewed favorably by other gymnastics programs. Some of that is jealousy, size of the fan base, making the meets more like a rock concert vs. a piano recital. On Friday someone hired a plane to fly around St. Louis with the Drum n' Feather flag. I'm guessing no other fan base is doing that? The gymternet which I've never visited seems to have a hate relationship with Skinner (which I don't understand).

    the other thing that's seems unfair is that UCLA opts to have their gymnast specialize. If one is great at the floor but weak at the vault, they'll only do 1 or 2 routines. That seems weirdly unfair.

    bottom line I don't understand this sport as well as I'd like to.
    The U hires the plane. They do it for away football games as well.

    The “gymternet” folks are just weird.

    Utah has never been liked, and much of why is unknown. There’s a false reputation that Utah’s team and fans aren’t welcoming....yet if you talk to other gymnasts they usually rave about Utah’s treatment of them. UCLA is the exception, but they also tend to forget their actions. And in the gymnastics world UCLA can do no wrong.


    Skinner is seen by the internet folks as being arrogant and cocky. Which is totally wrong, but they don’t really care. The Olympic trials cemented their dislike of her, since she had the audacity to retweet complimentary things said about her....and openly express her belief she should have made the team over Gabby Douglas.

    The actual programs themselves, not the fans, love the U. Look no further than how Elizabeth Price and BYU’s individual were treated by Utah this weekend.

    As for UCLA and specialists. They can choose to do that. UCLA is a “star” designation so they get athletes who dont take scholarships.

    The warm weather schools have an advantage over Utah. Gymnasts love warm weather.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #39
    It's hard to trust a sport where referees are not supposed to be booed. The judges should be booed, and loudly, when they screw up. They should be cheered when they favor the home team. This is how sports work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •