Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Rocks

Red Rocks

I want to be the first to wish the Gymnastics team good luck in their top 10 showdown versus Stanford tomorrow. It's also a blackout meet, I believe the first time that's ever been done in gymnastics.

For those not in the know, Utah is currently ranked #7 in the nation. Tory Wilson is the #1 ranked vaulter in the nation. Becky Tutka is ranked 6th in the nation for floor. Utah has 25 crowds over 14k at home and going for #26 tomorrow night.

Here's a "getting to know" about Georgia Dabrits

IMO - the Red Rocks need their own sub-forum

Point noted. We will be reevaluating some of the format after some experience with where fools sirens their time.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Looking forward to the meet tonight. It's going to be a tight one. Who else will be there?

Whoa!! Just noticed the picture at the top of the thread. That is a fantastic shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Point noted. We will be reevaluating some of the format after some experience with where fools sirens their time.
    What an auto-complete masterpiece!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by redpatty View Post
    Looking forward to the meet tonight. It's going to be a tight one. Who else will be there?
    I will be there!! Blackout meet.

This team gets a little more exciting all the time. They're a young team which leads to inconsistency, but I love the big score capability we have. They really need to step it up on bars and beam tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by redpatty View Post
    This team gets a little more exciting all the time. They're a young team which leads to inconsistency, but I love the big score capability we have. They really need to step it up on bars and beam tonight.
    And losing Corrie Lothrop was a huge blow. Excited to see how they perform tonight. And the snow has stopped. So, hopefully, plenty of people come to support them.

Red Rocks beat Stanford 197.300 to 197.075. Lia Del Priore hit a 10.0 on the floor.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Red Rocks beat Stanford 197.300 to 197.075. Lia Del Priore hit a 10.0 on the floor.
    Terrific! Did many people brave the snow to go watch or did people stay home and watch on tv.

These razor thin wins in women's gymnastics always surprise me. Sometimes they look so narrow but really aren't close at all. This one looks like it was fairly tight. Getting a 10 in this sport, to me, is like a triple double against a great defense - incredibly impressive.

My crew braved the storm with our normal routine of dinner at Hires then up to the meet.

I love Lia's FX and she performed it beautifully tonight. The fact that she could score a 10 is amazing, but the fact that she did it out of the #2 position in the lineup is even more amazing. Lots of fun moments tonight, along with some nerves at the end. Standford was awesome on the BB.

If these gymnasts can settle down on BB and clean it up on UPB's they can compete with the top teams in the country.

Lia is H-man's fiancee.
    Has he been over here yet?

1088057.jpg
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    Lia is H-man's fiancee.
    Has he been over here yet?
    I don't believe so. He's quite close to Webmonkey, I wonder if he feels he might be betraying UF.N if he spends time over here.

I had a group that attended the meet. It was absolutely amazing. After Lia's FX I think everybody knew it was a 10. The place just exploded. Can't describe the feeling. Redpatty is right, if they can clean up bars and beam (the main issue with last nights meet being so close) they can contend for the title. Stanford rocked the beam!

The scoring last night was questionable at times.

Some very odd lack of deductions on some routines, and some very odd phantom deductions on others.

I like this team, but with Florida and OU hitting 198 it's going to take a pretty big jump I consistency to be contenders.

Vault landings really need to be cleaned up. At nationals Nansy isn't going to get a 9.9 without a stick.

Bars has a lot of small form and execution errors to be addressed, especially on the road.

Beam needs aggressiveness

Utah has to post a couple really good road scores to up the RQS, otherwise that road through regionals could be the toughest yet.

Maas Greg said post meet, the '"leg" events are t a real issue just minor cleanup. The finesse events need a lot of polish

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The scoring last night was questionable at times.

Some very odd lack of deductions on some routines, and some very odd phantom deductions on others.

I like this team, but with Florida and OU hitting 198 it's going to take a pretty big jump I consistency to be contenders.

Vault landings really need to be cleaned up. At nationals Nansy isn't going to get a 9.9 without a stick.

Bars has a lot of small form and execution errors to be addressed, especially on the road.

Beam needs aggressiveness

Utah has to post a couple really good road scores to up the RQS, otherwise that road through regionals could be the toughest yet.

Maas Greg said post meet, the '"leg" events are t a real issue just minor cleanup. The finesse events need a lot of polish
    There is a lengthy article in CNN about the abuses of John Geddert, the famed gymnastics coach and associate of Larry Nassar. Some of his former gymnasts assert he ‘needs to be locked up with Larry, maybe more so.’

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018...geddert-abuse/

When you read the stories here and reflect on Majerus’ similar style of coach it makes me think that his extreme antics rightfully wouldn’t stand today and I’m convinced he needed to go.

It will be interesting to see how coaching evolves as these methodologies become less accepted. It’s also crazy to me that parents would get so fixated on scholarships that they would let this stuff ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we have anybody in the pipeline who is remotely comparable to Mykela or McKenna? Seems like a big drop off after those two.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Do we have anybody in the pipeline who is remotely comparable to Mykela or McKenna? Seems like a big drop off after those two.
    We have some good gymnasts coming.

But first let’s be clear. MyKayla is on a level that exceeds anyone else at Utah, and pretty much anyone else in the country save Maggie Nichols

MaKenna has become an excellent gymnast, but in reality MyKayla is Michael Jordan.

Next years freshman class has a lot of talent, and Sydney Soloski who is a freshman this year is very talented.

Kari Lee and Missy Reinstadtler are both 39.5+ capable all around competitors as well.

Next years team has the potential to be the best team we’ve had in years.

How about alexa birch? (???)

How about alexa birch? (???)
    Alexia is a bit of mystery still.

She’s earned Megan’s trust on beam, haven’t seen enough of her everywhere else to know what kind of impact she’ll have, but from everything I’ve been told she’s a bit of a sleeper pickup which can be really good in gymnastics

Gymnastics is a weird recruiting sport....because athletes often are “done” by their twenties it takes a lot of evaluation to see who still has 4 years in their tank.

MyKayla is a bit of an oddity....she’s 21 and throwing the hardest difficulty stuff in the NCAA.

We have some good gymnasts coming.

But first let’s be clear. MyKayla is on a level that exceeds anyone else at Utah, and pretty much anyone else in the country save Maggie Nichols

MaKenna has become an excellent gymnast, but in reality MyKayla is Michael Jordan.

Next years freshman class has a lot of talent, and Sydney Soloski who is a freshman this year is very talented.

Kari Lee and Missy Reinstadtler are both 39.5+ capable all around competitors as well.

Next years team has the potential to be the best team we’ve had in years.

I've been impressed with Soloski this year.

Utes had a great regional showing yesterday.

They comfortably won, and still have room to improve. They left probably .3 on bars and .2 on beam.

If they hit like they can, they’re a 198 team.

Now, it’s time for a rant.

The way the Pac-12 and NCAA treats MyKayla Skinner is ridiculous

She’s won two straight Pac-12 all around championships. She’s won two straight NCAA regional championships. She holds the Pac-12 career record for gymnast of the week awards, and was the only gymnast named all conference in all 5 events.

Yet she has never been named gymnast of the year in the conference or at regionals and wasn’t freshman of the year last year.

I’ve been going to gymnastics for 26 years. I’ve seen a lot of amazing gymnasts, including attending nationals for 10 straight years. She’s the best athlete I’ve ever seen, yet her “reputation” has apparently black balled her from being recognized.

If you talk to anyone who actually knows her, they’ve got nothing but great things to say about her.

This year she lost out to Elizabeth Price for Pac-12 gymnast of the year and regional gymnast of the year. She’s a great gymnast. But MyKayla has now beaten her all 3 times they’ve gone head to head this season. There was some speculation Price was given the award so she would have it as it’s her last chance since she’s a senior, yet she was Pac-12 gymnast of the year as a sophomore.

I’m hoping the U is making some waves behind the scenes over this.

I wasn't paying close attention to Stanford yesterday, since they were out of it from the very beginning, but I didn't even notice Elizabeth Price. How did she finish? never mind; I see she was named gymnast of the year. I didnt notice that either.

The square off between Cal and Auburn at the end was a lot of fun, even though there was no rooting interest (except I really wanted another Pac 12 team to qualify over an SEC team).

BTW, I thought the whole set up was very confusing. No programs; nothing to identify who is performing at any given point in time. I haven't been to a lot of multi-team meets, so I don't know if this is standard. And the names on top of the final scores were too small to read.

Utah may have won comfortably as it turned out, but after Kari Lee fell, it was still in doubt. Missy R. and Makayla really came through.
    Last edited by concerned; 04-08-2018 at 10:47 AM.

I wasn't paying close attention to Stanford yesterday, since they were out of it from the very beginning, but I didn't even notice Elizabeth Price. How did she finish? never mind; I see she was named gymnast of the year. I didnt notice that either.

The square off between Cal and Auburn at the end was a lot of fun, even though there was no rooting interest (except I really wanted another Pac 12 team to qualify over an SEC team).

BTW, I thought the whole set up was very confusing. No programs; nothing to identify who is performing at any given point in time. I haven't been to a lot of multi-team meets, so I don't know if this is standard. And the names on top of the final scores were too small to read.

Utah may have won comfortably as it turned out, but after Kari Lee fell, it was still in doubt. Missy R. and Makayla really came through.
    Price placed second, behind MyKayla, for the third time this year.

While the conference thing is nice, I’m still friends with Jeff Graba and his family. I like to see Auburn do well because of that Utah connection. They’re really good people.

That’s a standard regional/nationals setup. The NCAA controls most everything and does a mediocre job.

That all changes next year. They’re going to be 4 regional sites instead of 6, and it’ll be a 3 day competition. The first day will be a “play in” which will be a dual meet with the winner advancing.

Day 2 will have 2 sessions with 4 teams each, leading to the top two from each session going to a 4 team “super regional” on day 3. The top 2 teams from each “super regional” will advance to the semifinals at nationals.

There will be two 4 team semifinals, and the top 2 from each semi will advance to the finals.

Utah advances to the Super Six, along with LSU, UCLA, Nebraska, Florida and Oklahoma

MyKayla Skinner is the NCAA vault champion (3 way tie) and all-around runner up. (She beat Elizabeth Price for the 4th time this year....Elizabeth rotated with Utah and MyKayla sent out a picture with her earlier today saying she was excited to compete with her)

Utah advances to the Super Six, along with LSU, UCLA, Nebraska, Florida and Oklahoma

MyKayla Skinner is the NCAA vault champion (3 way tie) and all-around runner up. (She beat Elizabeth Price for the 4th time this year....Elizabeth rotated with Utah and MyKayla sent out a picture with her earlier today saying she was excited to compete with her)

do the 6 fibalists start from scratch tomorrow or do today's scores count?

do the 6 fibalists start from scratch tomorrow or do today's scores count?
    Everything resets to 0

Only the team title is on the line. Everything else was decided last night.

Not a great showing in the Super Six last night. Started the event on floor, typically our best scored event, only to pull in a season low score. And then followed that up with another season low on vault.

They ended up repeating last year’s finish in fifth.

Kudos to UCLA. They looked to be in solid third place but roared to a national championship by scoring a 10 on their last event. Peng-Peng Lee actually scored two 10s in her last two event. Glad that someone besides Oklahoma won.