Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Playing for Seeds: Utah vs. Washington & Washington St.

Playing for Seeds: Utah vs. Washington & Washington St.

The goal of this road trip is simple. Go 2-0. Nothing else will be deemed acceptable. Discuss.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The goal of this road trip is simple. Go 2-0. Nothing else will be deemed acceptable. Discuss.
    It would be a nice way to end the conference season since we haven't managed to go 2-0 on a PAC-12 road trip yet.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It would be a nice way to end the conference season since we haven't managed to go 2-0 on a PAC-12 road trip yet.
    Neither of these games should be close. Washington St. gave UCLA a tussle last night, but even so, we should beat them both by double digits. We've played ourselves into having to fight for that #2 seed, and it would be a shame to let this Arizona game beat us twice by losing on the road this weekend.

I think Larry will rally the troops.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We haven't won consecutive road games on the same trip since our last NCAA Tournament year in 2009.

"Unacceptable" is a high bar give how difficult it is to win on the road.

If the Utes want a 3 seed, they'll need to sweep. That's what 3 seeds do.

Can we sweep? I believe so. I believe this team is a 3 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

A week ago, I posted the 3 seed requirements:

1) Beat ASU, WSU, UW
    2) Beat Zona once this year
    3) Make the final in Vegas

Since we lost to Zona (why did we foul Pitts at the end of the half? Those two FTs may have been the difference), the requirements have been condensed into:

1) Beat WSU and UW
    2) Win the Vegas

I think less than that gets us a 4-6 (depending on how much less).

Duke just about lost at VT last week. VT is as bad as UW and worse than WSU. Anything can happen on the road. WSU worried me more than UW. It's always hard to win on someone's senior night, though.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

Agree. If we want a shot at a 3 seed, we sweep this weekend. If we lose to either team, our seeding might go into a free fall.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We haven't won consecutive road games on the same trip since our last NCAA Tournament year in 2009.
    Even more telling. That says to me that if they sweep this week it will be huge -- for their confidence if nothing else.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I would suspect WSU presents the biggest risk. Probably good we play them first, since it is a short turn around. Short turn around makes a sweep even more difficult.
    Last edited by concerned; 03-02-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Sizing up Washington St:

They go 8 deep on the number of guys that play 17 minutes or more, but this team still runs through Devonte Lacy. Lacy is averaging 17.3 PPG, which puts him just barely into 4th in the conference in scoring. They also boast the league's leading rebounder in Justin Hawkinson. Nobody else in the league is averaging double digits in rebounding except Hawkinson.

The cougars best win of the year is a 108-99 OT win over our nemesis the Oregon Ducks. Outside of that, in their other 5 conference games that they've won, their largest margin of victory has been 4 points.

Brandon Taylor lead the way for the Utes in the 86-64 drubbing in Salt Lake back in January, and the Cougars turned the ball over 17 times, to Utah's 4.

Like most games for the Utes, this will come down to defense, rebounding, and shooting. In the game in January, Taylor had 18, Loveridge had 14, and Delon added 17 as well. We'll need this type of balanced attack, and keep a strong focus on rebounding to thwart the Cougars chances at an upset in Pullman

In his weekly presser yesterday, he channeled a little Dr. Seus:

The first, he said, was for the media:

“Oh the places you'll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all . . . Fame! You'll be famous as famous as can be, with everyone watching you win on TV, Except when they don't because sometimes they won't . . . I'm afraid that some times you'll play lonely games too. Games you can't win 'cause you'll play against you.”

Krystkowiak explained that he grew up on ol’ Dr. Suess and then read one more excerpt for the team:

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And you are the one who'll decide where to go.”

Second Place is the First Loser - the Washington Road Swing

Hopefully our team has more heart than you guys do. Tip off and no thread yet? With Oregon breathing down our necks, we need to put together our first road sweep. Third place would be disappointing. I think we pull it off.

Well, here I am in my hotel in San Francisco, and lo and behold! My room TV has ESPNU! I'll be watching the game!

--Yeats

Oops.

Stupid vcu... you are down 20 with 2 minutes left. Don't fouls or full court press
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I don't want to missed the first part of the game
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Nice to see that we've kept the streak of losing the opening tipoff alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Nice to see that we've kept the streak of losing the opening tipoff alive!
    7 foot man why you no jump....or dunk?
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

Horrible start for the Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Horrible start for the Utes.
    No kidding....

#3 seed here we come!....in the pac12 tourney that is.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

For those that didn't hear. Ogbe out. Injury from earlier in the year has flared again.

Lid on the basket.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Lid on the basket.
    And no energy.

I would have bet you a $1000 dollars that roxy Bernstein was a chick

Dozens of spectators in the stands. I hate when you can hear individual fans yelling word for word in the background.

I wonder if Seattle Ute is in attendance? He mentioned he might.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Dozens of spectators in the stands. I hate when you can hear individual fans yelling word for word in the background.

I wonder if Seattle Ute is in attendance? He mentioned he might.
    The female yelling in the student section is behind obnoxious

Poeltl doesn't know how to be physical.

Edit: without fouling

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    The female yelling in the student section is behind obnoxious
    "Go back to Utah!"

No wonder we started slow, she's not very friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    Poeltl doesn't know how to be physical.

Edit: without fouling
    I've been concerned about Poeltl the last few games. Has he played? Should someone file a missing persons report?

I've been concerned about Poeltl the last few games. Has he played? Should someone file a missing persons report?
    Oh he plays.

*enters game*
    *fouls*
    *leaves game*