Thread: Recruiting thread

Recruiting thread

for those that follow recruiting there is a rumor on twitter tonight that 2013 OL Logan Stott from St. George will enroll at Utah. He was rated 4 star on rivals and was a VERY early commit to Arizona, he enrolled there early but left school shortly after enrolling. pretty interesting considering he was a U of A commit for over a year, sounds like he could be here for spring ball though. our OL depth is looking great for this upcoming season.

Great news if true.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

The poster is the publisher of The Arizona Scout site. So this may have some legs.

Says he left because the O line coach left. That O line coach is Anae. Thanks for digging Utebuntu

Ranked the 3rd best player in the state by rivals, 5th by Scout, 4th by ESPN and 12th by 247.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Logan-Stott-113356

Crazy. Had the top 8 players stayed in-state they all would have gone to Utah.

https://twitter.com/JasonScheer/status/304856301979189248

Last edited by stretchiute; 02-22-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UTE FANatic View Post
    for those that follow recruiting there is a rumor on twitter tonight that 2013 OL Logan Stott from St. George will enroll at Utah. He was rated 4 star on rivals and was a VERY early commit to Arizona, he enrolled there early but left school shortly after enrolling. pretty interesting considering he was a U of A commit for over a year, sounds like he could be here for spring ball though. our OL depth is looking great for this upcoming season.
    If he enrolled, unless it was in a grey shirt capacity, wouldn't that mean he has to sit out two years (if he is truly coming to Utah ) due to inter-PAC12 transfer rules?
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

I thought so too, but nothing is straightforward when it comes to the NCAA

Interesting. My understanding was that he had no interest in the U and thus we did not pursue him. If this is true, he's the best instate pick-up this year outside of Lotulelei.

So, because he didn't sign any financial aid forms, does that mean he can go where he wants and play right away? I feel bad for him (not loving his commitment school), but am very excited to have him in the fold as a Ute!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    If he enrolled, unless it was in a grey shirt capacity, wouldn't that mean he has to sit out two years (if he is truly coming to Utah ) due to inter-PAC12 transfer rules?
    There are some exceptions to the two year rule. He'd would still have to sit one for sure, but basically it would be a redshirt year, which, as a lineman, he would undoubtedly do anyway.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Interesting. My understanding was that he had no interest in the U and thus we did not pursue him. If this is true, he's the best instate pick-up this year outside of Lotulelei.
    I think it had as much to do with stating he only had interest in Arizona.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    This rule is often misunderstood. The rule is not that you lose two years for an intra-conference transfer. It is that you sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility. In other words, the year you sit out is not counted as a redshirt--the year is gone as if you had played. If that rule is in effect here then Stott would sit out 2013 and have it count as his freshman season. He would then begin 2014 as a sophomore with three years to play.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    This rule is often misunderstood. The rule is not that you lose two years for an intra-conference transfer. It is that you sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility. In other words, the year you sit out is not counted as a redshirt--the year is gone as if you had played. If that rule is in effect here then Stott would sit out 2013 and have it count as his freshman season. He would then begin 2014 as a sophomore with three years to play.
    Does anyone know how it would affect Stott, where he transferred so quickly? Does he have to sit out a year, or did he do it quick enough that he does not have to sit out?

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Does anyone know how it would affect Stott, where he transferred so quickly? Does he have to sit out a year, or did he do it quick enough that he does not have to sit out?
    He was enrolled, so I am guessing that he will have to sit.
    André Gide

I read an article that gave the impression that he was forced out by Rich Rod. That doesn't make a lot of sense (since Rich Rod recruited him) unless Stott screwed up somehow.

Logan Stott never considered another school because he came from a long line of Arizona alums. It seems that once he got there he found he wasn't a good fit and left. It will be interesting to see what can be worked out as far as his eligibility to play, and I understand there are discussions on-going about that.