Thread: 2015-16 Utah basketball team

2015-16 Utah basketball team

So what do we think for next year?

I say Chapman makes the leap
    Kuzma provides some good minutes
    Loveridge and Taylor are who they are
    We start wright, Taylor, Chapman, loveridge and poetl
    Olsen plays the batshitzinky role well
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Forgot bealer. .. he will start
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    So what do we think for next year?

I say Chapman makes the leap
    Kuzma provides some good minutes
    Loveridge and Taylor are who they are
    We start wright, Taylor, Chapman, loveridge and poetl
    Olsen plays the batshitzinky role well
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Forgot bealer. .. he will start
    Ahead of whom does Bealer start? Wright, Loveridge or Chapman? That'll be interesting.

Reyes will be 7th or 8th man unless he figures out how not to be such a liability.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

It'll be Wright or Taylor, Bealer is a 2. I imagine you'll see Brandon play more at the 1 next year with he and Wright spelling each other.

-I hope Jakob comes back. We could really use him.

-im excited to see what happens with Kenneth Ogbe. I think he could be anything from our starting 2 to a logjam transfer casualty.

-i wouldnt be surprised if there was an out of the blue signing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It'll be Wright or Taylor, Bealer is a 2. I imagine you'll see Brandon play more at the 1 next year with he and Wright spelling each other.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Bealer play some 3.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Draftexpress currently has Jakob going 11th overall. I guess going toe to toe with Jahlil Okafor and holding your own will do that.

ESPN's early look...one of the paragraphs will tell you how dialed in they are:

To return to the NCAA tournament, a team needs contributions from both returning and incoming players. Here's a look at Utah and its chances of dancing again in 2016.Quick references:
    2014-15 roster
    2015 recruiting

Possible 2015-16 starting five
    G Dakarai Tucker
    G Brandon Taylor
    F Brekkott Chapman
    F Jordan Loveridge
    C Jakob Poeltl

Who is lost: The Runnin' Utes will lose arguably the best player in the conference in Delon Wright. He was not only the quarterback of the squad, but also the catalyst for their Pac-12 runner-up finish (tied with Oregon). The Utes also will have to replace Dallin Bachynski, a backup center and who provided rebounding, solid post defense and solid screens.
    Who is added: Larry Krystkowiak didn't have to tap into the European market this time around as he added a terrific trio of prospects from the West Coast. Makol Mawien is quite raw, but he has the physical tools (length/bounce) to be a potential starter at the 4 position down the road.Noah Togiai is a quintessential glue type who affects the game in multiple ways with his relentless energy, strength and athleticism. The final piece of the trio, Gabe Bealer (City College of San Francisco), arrived a year earlier than expected. Bealer, a slashing wing who can score from all three perimeter levels, is redshirting after suffering a knee injury.
    What it means for next season: There is no one in the program who can duplicate Wright's all-around skills and savvy. Taylor is a solid point guard with a ton of moxie and Isaiah Wright is a solid playmaker, but neither of the returnees have the innate playmaking ability that Wright possessed. However, Krystkowiak's club should be more productive at every other position other than point guard. Poeltl is a future lottery pick, and sophomore Chapman should mold into an all-conference performer next season with his point forward skill set. Tucker should provide timely shooting and Loveridge is another prototypical glue type who affects the game with his skill, savvy and strength. In addition, the Utes should be excited about the potential of Kyle Kuzma, who showed flashes of his budding talent during his freshman campaign.
    Trending: Down. The key for the Utes as they head into the 2015-16 season obviously will be the development at the point guard position. However, an upper-echelon finish in the Pac-12 should be expected considering how talented and deep the roster is heading into next season.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    ESPN's early look...one of the paragraphs will tell you how dialed in they are:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Lol on the togiai comment.

Ill be interested to see this class grow,

Sounds like the Aggies have hired internally, so Tommy Connor is safe.....for now.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Sounds like the Aggies have hired internally, so Tommy Connor is safe.....for now.
    Good for them.

...and for us!

so much of the 2015/2016 success will depend on the strength of the PAC-12. I think overall the league will be better (UCLA, OR, WA should be much improved). AZ will still probably be the favorite in the conference, but they wont be as dominant as the 2014/2015 team.

Remember Utah basketball following the 97/98 team. Most of the predictions for Utah were down because Van Horn had left, but ...

Maybe Delon leaving will have the same affect?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    so much of the 2015/2016 success will depend on the strength of the PAC-12. I think overall the league will be better (UCLA, OR, WA should be much improved). AZ will still probably be the favorite in the conference, but they wont be as dominant as the 2014/2015 team.
    I thought the same thing would have been said about the 14/15 team after Griffin and Johnson left and look at how that worked out. :/

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I know Arizona has a great class coming in full of more 1-and-done superstars.

UCLA - they lose Looney. Who is coming in?

UW - why should they be much better? Just because they couldn't be any worse? NWG is gone, right?

Oregon - do they have a strong class coming in? They lose Joe Young.

I know Oregon State has a ranked incoming class.

Others? CU, USC (one year older, maybe the experience will help), Wazzu (I know nothing), ASU (lost all their recruits when they fired Sendek), Stanford (loses Randle), Cal (I know nothing)
    AZ, Oregon, Oregon St. Wash and UCLA are all supposed to have very good classes coming in from what I've read.

Delon picked up a 2nd team AP all-american. Again, does anyone know if 2nd team is enough to get his name in the rafters?
    I am pretty sure he has to be a consensus AA, and I think that means first team. SCP may know more about that.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I am pretty sure he has to be a consensus AA, and I think that means first team. SCP may know more about that.
    Delon has a 1st team and three 2nds from the four A-A teams that determine your consensus A-A team. So it's not happening -- Kaminsky, Okafor, Grant, Russell and Cauley-Stein are your consensus A-As.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post

Remember Utah basketball following the 97/98 team. Most of the predictions for Utah were down because Van Horn had left, but ...

Maybe Delon leaving will have the same affect?
    Utah didn't necessarily get better after KVH left just because it made it to the national title game. Utah made it to the national title game because Kentucky finally wasn't in our bracket.

I was thinking about this the other day... where does this 2015 Utah team rank in terms of all-time greats at the U? Not "most accomplished", but if you had to pick a team from Utah history to win one game, how would you tank them?

This is how I would rank the best Utah teams that I've seen in my lifetime:

1. 1997
    2. 1998
    3. 1996
    4. 1991
    5. 1999
    6. 2015
    7. 2005

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day... where does this 2015 Utah team rank in terms of all-time greats at the U? Not "most accomplished", but if you had to pick a team from Utah history to win one game, how would you tank them?

This is how I would rank the best Utah teams that I've seen in my lifetime:

1. 1997
    2. 1998
    3. 1996
    4. 1991
    5. 1999
    6. 2015
    7. 2005
    I think this team was a notch better than 1991, so I'd rank them this way:

1. 1997
    2. 1998
    3. 1996
    4. 1999
    5. 2015
    6. 1991
    7. 2005

I'm just ranking them from 1990 forward. If we go farther back then we have to think about the Final Four teams of the 1960s and the Vranes-Chambers 1981 team.

--Yeats

People always want to use rule changes to define the "modern era" of a sport. Wrong. The modern era is always 25 years. If you have a 25 year old son who wasn't alive for it, it's not the modern era.

Speaking of the early nineties, as I re-watched the Fast and the Furious quarter mile, I noticed that the number on the train is 3134.
    I didn't know that you lived your life a 1/4 mile at a time.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I think this team was a notch better than 1991, so I'd rank them this way:

1. 1997
    2. 1998
    3. 1996
    4. 1999
    5. 2015
    6. 1991
    7. 2005

I'm just ranking them from 1990 forward. If we go farther back then we have to think about the Final Four teams of the 1960s and the Vranes-Chambers 1981 team.
    That's how I'd rank them. I was serving a mission during the '95 and '96 post seasons, so I have no idea how good KVH's junior year team was. I too think this year's team was better than '91. I still don't know what to make of the 2005 team. That's got to be our most overrated team ever. If we could put that team against Britton Johnson's senior year team ('03?) before he went down with mono, I think Britton's team wins.

1999 may have been the best. It went undefeated in conference through the tournament, in a crazy engorged WAC, including with a good Bill Self coached Tulsa team. At the end of the regular season it was killing everybody. They were upset in the second round of he NCAA tournament, but I think Andre lost some abandon after he fell in the WAC tournament.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Also, I don't know how anyone could rank any team over 1998 after it beat up the two top seeds in the NCAA tournament and came within 5 minutes of winning the title. To say 1997 was better is just asinine.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    1999 may have been the best. It went undefeated in conference through the tournament, in a crazy engorged WAC, including with a good Bill Self coached Tulsa team. At the end of the regular season it was killing everybody. They were upset in the second round of he NCAA tournament, but I think Andre lost some abandon after he fell in the WAC tournament.
    Man, it's tough between 1998 and 1999. The 1998 team has the Final Four, but Utah had made Final Fours before (albeit not for a very long time). The 1999 team is the only one in schools (and WAC?) history to go undefeated in league and tournament play. That Miami loss is a crusher. It would've faced a weaker Kentucky team in the Sweet 16 and a Michigan State team that Utah fared very well against the following year when it won it all. (Incidentally, had Utah won that game, it would faced ... you guessed it! ... Kentucky in the Sweet 16). Even if the 1999 team doesn't get to the Final Four, beating Kentucky deep in the tournament would be good enough for me to rate it as the best of the expanded bracket era.

2015 Utah team

It definitely wasn't the same Andre after the bang-up.

--Yeats

Also, I don't know how anyone could rank any team over 1998 after it beat up the two top seeds in the NCAA tournament and came within 5 minutes of winning the title. To say 1997 was better is just asinine.
    LOL. I think it's a close call. After beating a good Stanford team that also made the Final Four in 1998) the 1997 team ran into Kentucky and Ron Mercer in the Elite 8. Mercer was unstoppable. If that team, with both Van Horn and Miller, could have made the FF I think they'd have had an excellent shot at winning. You may be right about 1998. (But not about your typically colorful and empty hyperbole.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

A lot of declarations for the NBA draft yesterday. Poeltl not among them.

According to this Wikipedia page, underclassmen have to declare for the draft no later than 60 days before the draft. The draft is June 25 this year, which puts the last day to declare as April 26th.

Can we keep Poeltl busy until then?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    A lot of declarations for the NBA draft yesterday. Poeltl not among them.

According to this Wikipedia page, underclassmen have to declare for the draft no later than 60 days before the draft. The draft is June 25 this year, which puts the last day to declare as April 26th.

Can we keep Poeltl busy until then?
    I am thinking maybe a month-long excursion to the Australian Outback in a place with no cell service.

--Yeats

ESPN's way-too-early poll has us 14th next year, assuming Poeltl returns.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ketball-season

--Yeats

ESPN's way-too-early poll has us 14th next year, assuming Poeltl returns.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ketball-season
    They accurately note that with him the team's ceiling is "Great" and without it is "Good."
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.