Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: The Larry Krystkowiak Thread

Did not expect that. Fun game to attend! Crowd was loud but would have been deafening if it were more than 2/3 full. Jahntunen is going to be good-loved his D; soft hands around the rim. Great win!
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We still lead the PAC-12 in attendance, or at least are near the top. Our arena is too big for the times -- college basketball attendance is down nationwide, with rare exceptions. People watch on TV.
    We may lead in tickets sold and student seats allotted, but unless the high is 5,000, there is no way we lead the league in butts in the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Or they dont watch at all. The interest in college bb has dwindled significantly since the advent of the one and done and the explosive growth of nba.
    Just this year I heard Daryl Morey say on Feakonomiks that the NCAA playoffs make more money than the entire NBA regular season combined. He was arguing that the NBA needs to drastically shorten the season and go to single elimination in the playoffs.

College basketball is superior.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    .......This program feels so dead right now. Nobody's in the stands for BYU/Utah.
    ??? I liked the energy tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Rylan Jones is going to be fun......
    Ive seen this kid play a lot of ball. Mark my word, he’ll be one of the all-time great Utes by the time he leaves the hill, assuming he stays healthy.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

This past NCAA playoffs was the greatest ever in my estimation. I’ve never seen anything like Virginia’s close wins. A team built on payers who’d been there for years.

An average of about six ones and dones a year. That is ruining college basketball? I don’t think so. We’re characteristically stuck in our own prism.

https://theundefeated.com/features/all-the-nba-drafts-one-and-done-lottery-picks-a-scorecard/
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Everybody brace yourselves for the 50 posts from SU on how we screwed up not recruiting Childs
    Even I’m smart enough to look at the ESPN 100 and see that the 45th kid lives 20 minutes from campus, and say, We need to offer that guy.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Even I’m smart enough to look at the ESPN 100 and see that the 45th kid lives 20 minutes from campus, and say, We need to offer that guy.
    So after an offseason where you referred to Mark Pope as a "real" coach, you dont have anything to say about the game "your" team just won, but instead, you go to an old, worn out, obvious talking point?

I am stunned.

I agree with you... Larry's biggest mistake was not recruiting him.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

This thread is embarrassing. I hereby disassociate myself from it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This thread is embarrassing. I hereby disassociate myself from it.
    If you read the thread, the thing wrong with this thread is the title. Why don’t you merge the content into the general Larry Krystkowiak thread. If there isn’t one, just change the title.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I did not start the thread. But there have been harsher judgments than the content of this thread posted under the Kyle Whittingham thread. So just get rid of the title as I suggested.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I did not start the thread. But there have been harsher judgments than the content of this thread posted under the Kyle Whittingham thread. So just get rid of the title as I suggested.
    We just have too many threads in general. It's unwieldy. When (if) there is a reboot for this site, we should have only a handful of threads (channels):

Utah football
    Utah basketball
    Utah recruiting
    Utah other sports
    Pac-12 sports
    NCAA sports
    Professional sports
    Politics
    Religion
    BYU
    General Chat

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Awesome stuff! Thanks for posting!
    Seattle Ute pointed out that the "Fire Larry Krystkowiak" Thread wasn't really focusing on firing Larry at all - and he suggested we merge the content.
    (see here: https://www.utahby5.com/showthread.p...l=1#post129094 )

It's a good point but, rather than merge the threads, I'm just going to bump this one and encourage people to be smart about what they post in which thread.

If individual posters want to have their own posts migrated or merged to this thread, let me know and I'll spend hours fumbling with a keyboard until I figure it out.
    Last edited by Solon; 12-09-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

If you read the thread, the thing wrong with this thread is the title. Why don’t you merge the content into the general Larry Krystkowiak thread. If there isn’t one, just change the title.
    We do have a Larry K. thread that took me awhile to find since it hasn't been posted to in 4.5+ years.
    I'm not going to merge them, but I'm going to bump it.

Here it is:

https://www.utahby5.com/showthread.p...tkowiak-Thread
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Merged.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Merged.
    Yes, merge them all!

So far this season, the original thread here is not aging well.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

So far this season, the original thread here is not aging well.
    Well, the guy who started it hasn't been around for a while, so you're preaching to the choir.

I told you guys you don't need five stars or ones and dones, who are often poison. You need chemistry, and it helps that if the players are together for more than one year.

And life is better with a good point guard.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

If you look at Utah's better teams, they always have had a good, true point guard. I know the Utes are in for a long season when I hear the coaches say that we don't really have a true point guard and that multiple players can handle the ball. It is never about handling it. It is about distributing it for good shots.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    If you look at Utah's better teams, they always have had a good, true point guard. I know the Utes are in for a long season when I hear the coaches say that we don't really have a true point guard and that multiple players can handle the ball. It is never about handling it. It is about distributing it for good shots.
    This is so true especially in college basketball. As great as Majerus was, his legacy would look very different if you subtract one player, Andre Miller, whose greatness was quite unexpected.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

The Larry Krystkowiak Thread

Well, the guy who started it hasn't been around for a while, so you're preaching to the choir.

I told you guys you don't need five stars or ones and dones, who are often poison. You need chemistry, and it helps that if the players are together for more than one year.

I knew you would find a way to say this proves you were right all along. Wonderful! LOL.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-19-2019 at 06:33 PM.

--Yeats

I knew you would find a way to say this proves you were right all along. Wonderful! LOL.
    I'm also the one who told you to merge the threads.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I just saw this Seattle - couldn't agree with you more. Shout out to my friend Jim Soto as well who was critical to the early success Majerus had. I was just sitting here thinking about a number of the teams I enjoyed and point guards came to mind in all of them - Jeff Jonas, Scott Martin, Pace Mannion. Tim Drisdom and Mark Jackson deserve mention as well. Interesting to note that Delon Wright is probably the only really good point guard Larry has had until now. I look at Pritchard at Oregon and I wonder if Rylan is that effective his junior and senior years? He might be be.

I still think this Utah team is heading for a tough Pac-12 season. I hope they prove me wrong.

I'm also the one who told you to merge the threads.
    Your superb diversionary tactics never disappoint.

bowing.PNG

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I just saw this Seattle - couldn't agree with you more. Shout out to my friend Jim Soto as well who was critical to the early success Majerus had. I was just sitting here thinking about a number of the teams I enjoyed and point guards came to mind in all of them - Jeff Jonas, Scott Martin, Pace Mannion. Tim Drisdom and Mark Jackson deserve mention as well. Interesting to note that Delon Wright is probably the only really good point guard Larry has had until now. I look at Pritchard at Oregon and I wonder if Rylan is that effective his junior and senior years? He might be be.

I still think this Utah team is heading for a tough Pac-12 season. I hope they prove me wrong.

I would say Justin Bibbins was also a very good point guard, and that was, not surprisingly, one of the best teams under Krystko.

Brandon Taylor is in the running for top player 6' and under ever at the U (in my lifetime). The list off the top of my head

Mark Jackson
    Brandon Taylor
    Justin Bibbins (only one year)
    Jimmy Soto
    Johnnie Bryant
    Tommy Connor
    Tyrone Tate
    Jeremy Killian
    Tyler Kepkay
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Brandon Taylor is in the running for top player 6' and under ever at the U (in my lifetime). The list off the top of my head

Mark Jackson
    Brandon Taylor
    Justin Bibbins (only one year)
    Jimmy Soto
    Johnnie Bryant
    Tommy Connor
    Tyrone Tate
    Jeremy Killian
    Tyler Kepkay
    +Manny Hendrix
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

At this rate, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which we're debating Larry's future after this year (OK, we can all find monsters under that bed, but we've really got nothing to base them on but the past). The Kentucky win is major currency for my demographic of Ute fan, and was the first noticeable increase in Larry's goodwill tank in some time. I'm still not convinced we're a tournament lock, and I think Oregon is going to blow our doors off. Past that, anything is possible. San Diego State will be a massive test for us -- how do we respond off a seismic win? A win there, and we can start talking about the Pac-12's status as perhaps the best league in the country (A collective bounce-back by the league is the one thing that hasn't surprised me, pleasant as that has been). I would count 8 likely/potential NCAA teams at that point. (That one of them wouldn't be UCLA strengthens that point even more.)

I grossly underestimated what Timmy Allen was capable of. I would not have been surprised if he largely peaked last year, and the best we were gonna get from him was a 15 PPG guy. He's already shown more improvement than Jordan Loveridge ever did, and he's done it without benefit of a reliable 3-point shot. Another major plus for this year's team has been 3-point shooting. With the increased distance, and losing Sed and PVD, one would think we'd both shoot fewer 3s, and be less successful when we did. Instead, the dropoff has been minimal. Prior to UK, we were taking about 1 less 3 per game from last year (26-25), and making 1 less percent (37-36).

Defensively, we've gotten much better, although with so few games, two games like Weber and Kentucky will really move the meter. Pomeroy has us 156th in adjusted defense -- we've been in the mid-200s for a good chunk of the non-con, IIRC. We are 17th in luck, which suggests something, although I don't know what it is. We have blown sizable leads in two of our wins, and better load management by Pope with Childs in the BYU game might result in a different outcome there as well.

No matter. The results are better than what we've expected, and anyone who says otherwise is lying. That said, Myrtle Beach was a disaster, UC-Davis further showed we're not immune from playing down to the competition and we still don't know what this offseason will bring. But so far, the team has largely overdelivered, and that was a must to keep Larry from coaching for his job in the 2020-21 season.

I'm the same. Agree with MRD about Brandon Taylor, though. I love that guy.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    At this rate, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which we're debating Larry's future after this year (OK, we can all find monsters under that bed, but we've really got nothing to base them on but the past). The Kentucky win is major currency for my demographic of Ute fan, and was the first noticeable increase in Larry's goodwill tank in some time. I'm still not convinced we're a tournament lock, and I think Oregon is going to blow our doors off. Past that, anything is possible. San Diego State will be a massive test for us -- how do we respond off a seismic win? A win there, and we can start talking about the Pac-12's status as perhaps the best league in the country (A collective bounce-back by the league is the one thing that hasn't surprised me, pleasant as that has been). I would count 8 likely/potential NCAA teams at that point. (That one of them wouldn't be UCLA strengthens that point even more.)

I grossly underestimated what Timmy Allen was capable of. I would not have been surprised if he largely peaked last year, and the best we were gonna get from him was a 15 PPG guy. He's already shown more improvement than Jordan Loveridge ever did, and he's done it without benefit of a reliable 3-point shot. Another major plus for this year's team has been 3-point shooting. With the increased distance, and losing Sed and PVD, one would think we'd both shoot fewer 3s, and be less successful when we did. Instead, the dropoff has been minimal. Prior to UK, we were taking about 1 less 3 per game from last year (26-25), and making 1 less percent (37-36).

Defensively, we've gotten much better, although with so few games, two games like Weber and Kentucky will really move the meter. Pomeroy has us 156th in adjusted defense -- we've been in the mid-200s for a good chunk of the non-con, IIRC. We are 17th in luck, which suggests something, although I don't know what it is. We have blown sizable leads in two of our wins, and better load management by Pope with Childs in the BYU game might result in a different outcome there as well.

No matter. The results are better than what we've expected, and anyone who says otherwise is lying. That said, Myrtle Beach was a disaster, UC-Davis further showed we're not immune from playing down to the competition and we still don't know what this offseason will bring. But so far, the team has largely overdelivered, and that was a must to keep Larry from coaching for his job in the 2020-21 season.
    I think Allen's progress owes a lot to Rylan Jones. In college basketball, PG is the dominant position on a winning team. To Allen's credit, he has heaped credit on Jones, calling him already the best PG in the conference. That's a stretch at this point, but I can't think of a Ute PG, for all the great ones we've had, including Miller, who had so successful a freshman season as Jones is having so far. It's a tough position to master.

Jones has been the most surprising development to me. I had low expectations for a point guard who was a star locally but now had to scale a huge transition. He also is evincing the iron will that is required of great point guards.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo