Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Larry Krystkowiak Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    I have seen Lahat in scrimmages.
    You and I seem to judge players in a very similar manner, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. So just know that you're really getting my hopes up here.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    You and I seem to judge players in a very similar manner, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. So just know that you're really getting my hopes up here.
    OSU, don’t disappoint U-Ute. You wouldn’t like him when he’s disappointed.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The Fire Larry Krystkowiak Thread

I hadn’t seen this article posted yet. Despite the headline, these comments from Larry do not inspire confidence about next year.

For example:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...xt-season.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think he didn't get Andre and Hansen until the year after. The next year was just Jessie and Doliac.
    Negative. Hansen was a true freshman on the 1994-95 team (remember, his last game was the national title loss to UK, in 1998), and Andre sat out because he was Prop 48. Alex played a year before leaving on his mission, missed the 1996 and 1997 seasons, and was a sophomore on the title-game team.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...utah/1995.html

Ben Melmeth was another freshman on this team, but he was a redshirt freshman and sat out the 14-14 season the year before.

I seem to remember that it was Andre and Jessie that got in trouble at Cottonwood Mall.

Or was it Andre and the dope smoker... (something Wright? - not Delon)

I seem to remember that it was Andre and Jessie that got in trouble at Cottonwood Mall.

Definitely Brandon Jessie.

The other Wright you're thinking of was Darroll Wright, who averaged 11.4 PPG on 11.8 shots per game (Yikes!) in the non-con before he left the team or was kicked off, can't remember the specifics of that.

Jessie and Andre were nailed in a shoplifiting incident that cost them the season opener against Kansas in the 1996-97 season.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The other Wright you're thinking of was Darroll Wright, who averaged 11.4 PPG on 11.8 shots per game (Yikes!) in the non-con before he left the team or was kicked off, can't remember the specifics of that.

Jessie and Andre were nailed in a shoplifiting incident that cost them the season opener against Kansas in the 1996-97 season.
    I loved Darroll Wright. He used to play ball at the outdoor courts near the old (now razed) dorms. He and Silas Mills would come out and school us, a bunch of 15 year old punk kids. But he was extremely nice in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Danny also made the US Olympic team, although the 1980 team didn’t play because of the US boycott. I don’t think any other Utah basketball player has been on an Olympic team, so that sets him apart from everyone else right there. He was such a pleasure to watch.
    Bogut has been on Australian national team.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Does this reasoning apply to Krystkowiak? From Jon Wilner yesterday: "USC is hemorrhaging cash on game day. Question isn't whether Trojans can afford to fire Clay Helton. It's whether they can afford to keep him."

Does this reasoning apply to Krystkowiak? From Jon Wilner yesterday: "USC is hemorrhaging cash on game day. Question isn't whether Trojans can afford to fire Clay Helton. It's whether they can afford to keep him."
    It probably does, but to a much lesser extent. The U is doing a lot of stuff this year to get people to basketball games, but I don't know if it is helping very much.
    We have 2 season tickets, although we will not be able to use any of the PAC 12 tickets other than Oregon and Oregon St. and possibly Colorado. (Anyone interested in purchasing the tickets, Sec. C, Row 29, Seats 5/6 - let me know. I will sell each game for $25). We went to the Mississippi Valley State game and there were very few people there. However, for the Minnesota game, the lower bowl was packed. They had the upper bowl curtained off and there were students who were standing because there were not enough seats. We did not go down from Park City to the UCD game because of the snow, but from TV attendance did not look good. I imagine a good crowd for BYU although the 6:00 pm start will not help. I suspect the last home Non-con game against Arkansas State will be bad. We will miss because we are headed to PAC 12 Champ. game. (anyone wants those tickets, let me know).

I think there are a number of things impacting buying and attending games: 1) pricing for many people is too high; 2) the unpredictability of game days and start times; 3) poor competition; 4) the ease of buying the games you want on the secondary market. (this will impact Utah football beginning next year as you could walk up and buy tickets from scalpers for $10-$20 for every home game this year).

I don't think firing LK will change any of those things. I think for the most part the basketball season tickets holders have already been winnowed down to the diehards and until the factors I have listed and probably others I haven't thought of are addressed, nothing will change.

You can't just live off diehards (no disrespect to our Diehard).

nearly forgot that we have a basketball game tonight.

college hoops appears to be dying a slow death

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    nearly forgot that we have a basketball game tonight.

college hoops appears to be dying a slow death
    College hoops always dies a slow death until its annual March resurrection. DNF likes our chances tonight...I still don't like our chances. Hopefully Carlson is back.

it only seems like college basketball is dying from our limited perspective. College basketball at Utah is dying, that's for sure. I've seen countless Utah games. I was a manager for the team. But I have never seen the awful curtain some of you have described. To hear about that turns my stomach. How many times have I seen the arena full, even in preseason? A lot. Now, here we are with Salt Lake City a lot bigger, Utah in the Pac 12, etc and we have this curtain going up. It's a travesty. Sad.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

it only seems like college basketball is dying from our limited perspective. College basketball at Utah is dying, that's for sure. I've seen countless Utah games. I was a manager for the team. But I have never seen the awful curtain some of you have described. To hear about that turns my stomach. How many times have I seen the arena full, even in preseason? A lot. Now, here we are with Salt Lake City a lot bigger, Utah in the Pac 12, etc and we have this curtain going up. It's a travesty. Sad.
    I was just thinking back to the mid 90's, where places like Utah, New Mexico, UNLV and UCLA (with sizable arenas) were consistently packed and now those schools can't give away tickets

UNLV’s announced attendance, which includes tickets out, averages 8,559 in the 18,000-seat building, its sixth decline in a row and its lowest figure in the Thomas & Mack, which opened in 1983

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...-mack-1603650/

Here are the attendance averages from the previous three seasons: 8,620 (2017-18), 11,183 (2016-17), and 8,073 (2015-16). Attendance at Pauley Pavilion this season has been well below that: 7,673. If you subtract the 12,985 that went to the Notre Dame game (which still couldn’t fill the 13,800 seats), the average drops to 6,913.
    https://gojoebruin.com/2018/12/26/uc...-free-tickets/
    Last edited by Scorcho; 12-04-2019 at 03:07 PM.

We've all experienced the full Huntsman Center, and it is sad to see the curtain. We recently have had higher attendance than anyone else in the Pac-12 other than Arizona. I think we're still there or close to there. The death of college basketball is a national trend. It may be happening faster in SLC due to our mediocrity, but it seems to be happening everywhere.

Teams like Duke/UNC/Kentucky/etc are, of course, still selling out, but it's not the same. I have been a Duke fan since 2001, when I started grad school there. The buzz is less than it has been because it takes a lot of energy to re-invest in an almost entirely new team every season. Last season, we had Zion to keep interest in college hoops. Who do we have this season? Who are the players/teams we are excited to watch? We don't know yet because 90% of them are 1-and-done freshmen.

For the college basketball junkies on this board...if you look at the top 10, can you name the players on the teams? Who are the leading candidates for the Wooden award? It's crazy to me that I can't answer those questions anymore.

Duke just lost to Stephen F Austin. It looked like men against boys with a bunch of jacked, 20-something Texas studs against a bunch of lost, skinny, 18-year-old Dukies. But Duke was ranked #1 and SFA was in the 250s in Kenpom.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I was just thinking back to the mid 90's, where places like Utah, New Mexico, UNLV and UCLA (with sizable arenas) were consistently packed and now those schools can't give away tickets

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...-mack-1603650/

https://gojoebruin.com/2018/12/26/uc...-free-tickets/
    Those schools had good teams then.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Those schools had good teams then.
    We still lead the PAC-12 in attendance, or at least are near the top. Our arena is too big for the times -- college basketball attendance is down nationwide, with rare exceptions. People watch on TV.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    People watch on TV.
    Or they dont watch at all. The interest in college bb has dwindled significantly since the advent of the one and done and the explosive growth of nba.

Anyone in ABQ and want to watch the game with me? I'm at spectators. I'll be the guy watching the byu vs Utah gam
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Everybody brace yourselves for the 50 posts from SU on how we screwed up not recruiting Childs

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Everybody brace yourselves for the 50 posts from SU on how we screwed up not recruiting Childs
    Single biggest mistake of Larry's tenure.

This program feels so dead right now. Nobody's in the stands for BYU/Utah.

We do not have a single player with a post game. We also don't have much outside shooting. We need Allen and Gach to drive on every play. Its the only effective piece of the offense.

Several times I was ready for the blowout and here we are at 4 points

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Several times I was ready for the blowout and here we are at 4 points
    Yeah, if they could just miss some of those threes....or if any of ours could go down. I think we are a shooter and a post presence away from being pretty good.

So, the TV guys said that Mark Pope took a time out to ask for a review on the bad moving screen call against Janunen. Pope wanted them to call it a flagrant!

Rylan Jones is going to be fun. Should be some good matchups between him and Mannion at AZ.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

This is a nice win for this young team!
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Beautiful!

wow, nice win by Utah