Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Too good.
    The ghost of Aiona Key still haunts this program.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

2016 Recruiting Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

What was the name of the tight end that was almost as dominant as Chuck Norris who never made the field?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    What was the name of the tight end that was almost as dominant as Chuck Norris who never made the field?
    Dudley LaPorte. One of the greatest college football player names ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Too good.
    LOL. RDUFS: Repeatedly Disappointed Ute Fan Syndrome. We all suffer from it to some extent.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Hey Aiona key blocked like 3 punts. He was worth it for hours special teams play
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

He also blocked a bunch of passes. 😢

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    New guy: DT Lorenzo Neal from Houston. Beat BSU, OSU (beavers, not bucks), and Purdue. 2 star by Yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...zo-Neal-161449
    Wonder if he is related to the former NFL fullback of the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Hey Aiona key blocked like 3 punts. He was worth it for hours special teams play
    I will forever remain convinced that Key was in that TCU kicker's head in the 2008 game. First one missed left, second one wide right. And Key blocked a FG vs. UNM the week before. TCU makes one of two FGs if Key isn't in the game.

Is this for real? It's Bleacher Report but seems legit:

4-Star Melquise Stovall Opens Up on USC Decommitment, What's Next

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ent-whats-next

Stovall said he's open to hearing from all schools, but schools like Notre Dame, Utah, Washington State and Washington are among those that could be in the running thus far. Stovall added that Utah and Notre Dame are two schools that will receive official visits. Actual dates have yet to be determined.

"I watched [Utah's] game against USC, and I liked the way they moved the ball everywhere,"
    Stovall said of the Utes. "The quarterback runs the ball, the running backs catch…everybody gets the ball. I like that they want to use me as a running back and a slot. Plus, I've got a great relationship with the coaches.

Notre Dame is in the mix too, so maybe we shouldn't get too excited about this one.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-11-2015 at 09:34 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Notre Dame is in the mix too, so maybe we shouldn't get too excited about this one.
    Get on the horn with this kid, Dennis.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

LOL. Of course it's not real.

"I watched [Utah's] game against USC, and I liked the way they moved the ball everywhere," Stovall said of the Utes. "The quarterback runs the ball, the running backs catch…everybody gets the ball. I like that they want to use me as a running back and a slot. Plus, I've got a great relationship with the coaches.

3 Start Washington OL Scott Peck Commits. He his other P5 offer is Washington St.

3 Start Washington OL Scott Peck Commits. He his other P5 offer is Washington St.
    6'7" 285 ish. Like the length we're getting

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    6'7" 285 ish. Like the length we're getting
    Me too. Real tackles instead of guards who can move their feet slightly better.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Here's an article about St. Thomas Aquinas' (home of Florida RB commit Devonta'e Henry-Cole) 35-3 rout of powerhouse Booker T. Washington. Booker T. had a 41 game win streak going till last night. Henry-Cole had 118 yds. on 25 carries and 1 TD.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/hi...e32714874.html

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Me too. It keeps me distracted in the off season.
    It's amazing how loaded some of these high schools are. St.Thomas is full of D1 talent kids including tOSU's DE commit Nick Bosa, Scouts #2 ranked player.

2016 Recruiting Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, we beat out Army, Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Tennessee State and Western Kentucky. Probably another diamond in the rough.

--Yeats

Well, we beat out Army, Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Tennessee State and Western Kentucky. Probably another diamond in the rough.
    The most important part of this commitment that I read was an acknowledgment by recruits (talking to each other) that Utah is a viable option. I love the work we're doing there right now.

Leki Fotu, DE out of Herriman.

Leki Fotu, DE out of Herriman.
    I heard his name over the loudspeakers last weekend and wondered: is he related to Nai?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I heard his name over the loudspeakers last weekend and wondered: is he related to Nai?
    I'll bet he is. Every Poly football player I've met has a zillion cousins all over the place.

--Yeats

Not sure if this has been posted.

Here is a DN article about recruiting and Ty Jones, a 6'3", 3* WR, Utah commit. The salient point is that Jones is keeping his options open and is now "seriously" considering TDS; UW, WSU, and Beavers are also recruiting him. Two reasons Jones listed for considering TDS are (1) his conversation with Torre, a TDS QB commit from Bingham and (2) his game-day experience at a TDS game.

Have no idea what's going to happen, nor do I care that much about it. That said, if I were a "good" 6'3" WR prospect, Utah's offense certainly would not exactly excite me. Whit et al have some work to do, I think.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ones-saga.html
    Last edited by justaute; 09-23-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted.

Here is a DN article about recruiting and Ty Jones, a 6'3", 3* WR, Utah commit. The salient point is that Jones is keeping his options open and is now "seriously" considering TDS; UW, WSU, and Beavers are also recruiting him. Two reasons Jones listed for considering TDS are (1) his conversation with Torre, a TDS QB commit from Bingham and (2) his game-day experience at a TDS game.

Have no idea what's going to happen, nor do I care that much about it. That said, if I were a "good" 6'3" WR prospect, Utah's offense certainly would not exactly excite me. Whit et al have some work to do, I think.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ones-saga.html
    I'm not one to go out on the ledge over losing recruits (and I know you are not either) but I am worried that our program must look unattractive to good WR prospects. Assuming Whit can ever get religion about "the throw game" (a big assumption, at this stage of his career) it would still take several years of demonstrated Utah success in that part of the game to change the public perception.

--Yeats

I'm not one to go out on the ledge over losing recruits (and I know you are not either) but I am worried that our program must look unattractive to good WR prospects. Assuming Whit can ever get religion about "the throw game" (a big assumption, at this stage of his career) it would still take several years of demonstrated Utah success in that part of the game to change the public perception.
    There was a good discussion on UteNation a week or so ago about BYU's recruiting this year and as of now, on paper, they seem to have the edge on us this year. Especially with in-state recruits. I know that they tend to get their commits earlier than we do, but they do seem to have some momentum. How they've accomplished this after several non-inspiring seasons in a row? I'm not sure. Ty Jones' twitter page is BYU retweet after retweet. Sure, wide receivers might be a tough sell for Utah, but BYU is also getting commits from guys like Max Tooley and Keenan Pili, who would have been solids gets for Utah. Now, since I know the Pili family, there was very little chance of Utah getting him away from BYU, but it seems like Utah is struggling with in-state kids, despite supposedly holding the best cards: conference, better schedule, especially home schedule, brand new facility...

Good comments, guys.

I like to think that I maintain pretty objective views in life. Clearly, with regard to LDS kids, BYU has certain edge -- not always, but it is there. In addition, I believe BYU's offensive philosophy, coupled with its QB legacy (real/perceived/whatever) also provide certain attraction. Now, if BYU can achieve/maintain a top-25 status, that's even more ammunition.

Sure, Utah is in P12, which obviously comes with certain prestige -- though, ask WSU how that's working, in aggregate. Is that prestige somewhat lessened by Utah's inconsistency on the offensive side of things? Whit's recent carousel of OCs certainly didn't help. My point is that there are a myriad of factors to consider, notwithstanding Utah's P12 affiliation.

As a former collegiate athlete in another era, today's young prospects have so much more information. Having recently coached a bunch of division-1 level high school players, albeit a minor sport of women's volleyball (300+ D1 programs), I know first-hand some of the things those players consider.

Just vomiting some thoughts.
    Last edited by justaute; 09-23-2015 at 06:18 PM.

It's hard to get too caught up in a 2017 kid. I mean, you could argue that it is silly to be excited about a commitment that is well over a year away from coming to fruition. It seems to me that we're not having trouble with WR prospects outside of the state. We typically seem to be in the mix for JC guys etc. With the in-state guys the hill is a little tougher to climb, but I think the coaches will figure that one out too.

If a 2017 kid chooses the Y to play with Tanner Mangum he could be in for a rude surprise. If Mangum is NFL quality, he could/should bolt after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    If a 2017 kid chooses the Y to play with Tanner Mangum he could be in for a rude surprise. If Mangum is NFL quality, he could/should bolt after next year.
    You're right. From the NFL's perspective, he isn't getting any younger. I hadn't considered that.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Next Heisman guy up.

Word on the Twitter street is that Handsome Tanielu is taking a look at BYU. How does a talented Snow College DT, who's been Tweeting Star highlights get so confused? I mean, he's not dumb enough to fall for jokes like this, is he?