Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: A Believer Thread

A Believer Thread

This kind of straddles politics and religion, but I think it is insightful. The blog post is by David French, whose wife is Nancy French. I know them both from the Romney campaign and think highly of them. They are never-Trumpers, and I often agree with them, but not always. Here David writes about some recent manifestations of the “horseshoe theory,“ which is that extremes at opposite ends of the ideological spectrum eventually grow to be more and more like one another.

The Church’s Real Political Correctness Problem]

The religious right has created a mirror image PC complete with cancel culture and performative anger.

[https://frenchpress.thedispatch.com/...c65SW0UZE5W-rY

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I had no idea these fringe groups even existed.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...-lori-daybell/

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I had no idea these fringe groups even existed.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...-lori-daybell/
    Riighht. That's exactly what someone in one of those groups would say.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Riighht. That's exactly what someone in one of those groups would say.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This kind of straddles politics and religion, but I think it is insightful. The blog post is by David French, whose wife is Nancy French. I know them both from the Romney campaign and think highly of them. They are never-Trumpers, and I often agree with them, but not always. Here David writes about some recent manifestations of the “horseshoe theory,“ which is that extremes at opposite ends of the ideological spectrum eventually grow to be more and more like one another.

The Church’s Real Political Correctness Problem]

The religious right has created a mirror image PC complete with cancel culture and performative anger.

[https://frenchpress.thedispatch.com/...c65SW0UZE5W-rY
    My High School Model UN teacher essentially taught this, that politics is more a circle than a line, and as you rotate left or right toward 6:00 o'clock, you get closer with the other "extreme". I thought it a very good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Feb. 21: The LDS Church began to close certain Temples, began quarantining missionaries in various missions and suspended church meetings in certain areas.
    Feb. 27: The Church announced that it was discouraging members from outside the US from traveling to the US for General Conference.
    March 11: The Church announced that members would not be allowed to attend General Conference.
    March 13: The Church cancelled all Sunday services.
    March 25: The Church closes all Temples.

As I watched Conference today, I determined that I will know it is safe for me to resume normal life when the Temples are re-opened and Sunday services begin again.