Thread: A Believer Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    LOL.

I am not even going to touch your first 'point' because its point-less. "An LDS church leader condemned racism which is hilarious because lots of racists have been leaders in the LDS church! How ironic! LOL!" Ok cool.......

Anyway, I believe you are referencing APurposefulWife.....a) she was at one point Mormon, but last I checked she had set out on her own due to disappointment with the LDS church. b) the First Presidency issued a statement that didn't name her but condemned everything she stands for when she started to get a following. "allow her to be so prominent"? Get out of here with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post

You probably don't want to hear my opinion, but here it is:

At least he warned you.

As for A Purposeful Wife, I'd love to see your reference on that. Your "when she started to get a following" is a little generous. After she "started to get a following" the New York Post did a highlight piece on her on March 31, 2017. The Salt Lake Tribune did a response piece on her dated April 2, 2017. On August 13, 2017, in response to the Charllotesville, Virginia rally that resulted in the death of a rally protester, the LDS church offered a statement that read:
    For members of the Church, we reaffirm that teaching today and the Savior’s admonition to love our neighbor.
    “Our prayers are with those who are suffering because of this intolerance and hatred. We pray for peace and for understanding. Above all, we pray that we may treat one another with greater kindness, compassion, and goodness.
    And then finally, two days after that, they finally address the 'movement' as directly as they ever have, with another press release:

It has been called to our attention that there are some among the various pro-white and white supremacy communities who assert that the Church is neutral toward or in support of their views. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the New Testament, Jesus said: ‘Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself’ (Matthew 22:37–39). The Book of Mormon teaches ‘all are alike unto God’” (2 Nephi 26:33).
    “White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them. Church members who promote or pursue a ‘white culture’ or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church.
    So...4 1/2 months after she had received national press for her views of Mormonism and white supremacy. I think the response could have been a little quicker. Also, one thing that I find annoying is the idea that these little press releases are enough. Just because you put in on a website doesn't mean it's been properly addressed. I had the same complaint when the released the series on polygamy and blacks and the priesthood, etc. Progress is progress, but I'd be really curious as to how many people actually see those things. I was really hoping for some strong words over the pulpit six weeks later during General Conference, but didn't hear them.

As a kicker, he's a quote from the Wife herself:
    However, let me be perfectly clear, I have at no time been disciplined, or even spoken to, regarding my political views or activism by a leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints, at any level, from Bishop to Prophet.
    It seems Twitter found a way to address her voice faster than her local leadership. That's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    At least he warned you.

As for A Purposeful Wife, I'd love to see your reference on that. Your "when she started to get a following" is a little generous. After she "started to get a following" the New York Post did a highlight piece on her on March 31, 2017. The Salt Lake Tribune did a response piece on her dated April 2, 2017. On August 13, 2017, in response to the Charllotesville, Virginia rally that resulted in the death of a rally protester, the LDS church offered a statement that read:

And then finally, two days after that, they finally address the 'movement' as directly as they ever have, with another press release:

So...4 1/2 months after she had received national press for her views of Mormonism and white supremacy. I think the response could have been a little quicker. Also, one thing that I find annoying is the idea that these little press releases are enough. Just because you put in on a website doesn't mean it's been properly addressed. I had the same complaint when the released the series on polygamy and blacks and the priesthood, etc. Progress is progress, but I'd be really curious as to how many people actually see those things. I was really hoping for some strong words over the pulpit six weeks later during General Conference, but didn't hear them.

As a kicker, he's a quote from the Wife herself:

It seems Twitter found a way to address her voice faster than her local leadership. That's a shame.
    I have no interest in debating the timeline. I think people knew where I was going with that. I would argue that you can find a talk in every single general conference that makes a point, at various levels, that racism has no place in the LDS church and beyond that, I don't know what reasonable measures the church could have taken. They issued the statement when they did, APW responded that she was angry and last I checked she had set out on her own. Shes been booted on twitter. Church discipline at some point has probably either already happened, is happening, or is soon to come if she hasn't left on our own.