Thread: A Believer Thread

Hybrid View

Just ran across this thread, I know I'm a little late but thought I would chime anyway. I certainly don't want to turn this into a soap box for what I believe but I find religion and faith make up who I am to a great extent. For the record I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, like many I don't always agree with what the members of the church do and say(myself included) but I believe the church to be the true church of Jesus Christ. I was enthralled with the picture of the Sombrero Galaxy and the stats of the suns that are in that galaxy. A great struggle for me personally has always been the idea of infinity. As mortal beings we measure everything in the finite realm. Initially explorers set out to map the earth we live on and give everything finite measurements. It seems for the most part that goal has been completed and the same process has been turned to the cosmos. While I don't to be any sort of expert in astrology, it amazes me how scientists of the world continue to learn more and more about the universe and the many galaxies within it. As our knowledge of the surrounding universe expands, it seems to me that the idea of a finite universe is not feasible. The known universe continues to expand and strengthen my belief in God's infinite creations. The idea that God is acutely aware of any one of us, is completely mind boggling to me and my finite mind. I believe that is where faith comes in. Faith allows me to believe in something that I can't understand or measure but I believe to be true. Faith allows me to believe what I can't see or understand.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I googled it, and the first link to it was from BYU online, so I posted the second link instead.
    You have a problem man.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    You have a problem man.
    Cut the man some slack. I think he dislikes Café Rio.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Cut the man some slack. I think he dislikes Café Rio.
    Which speaks to high character and taste

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Which speaks to high character and taste
    Yes. it would make him a kindred spirit with FM. A guy has to be good to his kindred spirits.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's a good story, though. Did you read it?

What can I say? I like having a rival. I get all my hate out of the way on something trivial, and I have none left for the things that actually matter.
    That makes you a bigot. I prefer to hate everything and everyone equally.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    That makes you a bigot. I prefer to hate everything and everyone equally.
    Hating people in general just saves time