Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: A Believer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    LA, what choir is this?
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    LA, what choir is this?
    I wish I knew!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This is a fine essay by Terryl Givens: Letter to a Doubter

An excerpt from his concluding section:

I know I am grateful for a propensity to doubt because it gives me the capacity to freely believe. I hope you can find your way to feel the same. The call to faith is a summons to engage the heart, to attune it to resonate in sympathy with principles and values and ideals that we devoutly hope are true and which we have reasonable but not certain grounds for believing to be true. There must be grounds for doubt as well as belief in order to render the choice more truly a choice, and therefore more deliberate and laden with more personal vulnerability and investment. An overwhelming preponderance of evidence on either side would make our choice as meaningless as would a loaded gun pointed at our heads. The option to believe must appear on one’s personal horizon like the fruit of paradise, perched precariously between sets of demands held in dynamic tension. Fortunately, in this world, one is always provided with sufficient materials out of which to fashion a life of credible conviction [Page 145]or dismissive denial. We are acted upon, in other words, by appeals to our personal values, our yearnings, our fears, our appetites, and our egos. What we choose to embrace, to be responsive to, is the purest reflection of who we are and what we love. That is why faith, the choice to believe, is, in the final analysis, an action that is positively laden with moral significance.

The call to faith, in this light, is not some test of a coy god waiting to see if we “get it right.” It is the only summons, issued under the only conditions which can allow us to reveal fully who we are, what we most love, and what we most devoutly desire. Without constraint, without any form of mental compulsion, the act of belief becomes the freest possible projection of what resides in our hearts. Like the poet’s image of a church bell that reveals its latent music only when struck, or a dragonfly that flames forth its beauty only in flight, so does the content of a human heart lie buried until action calls it forth. The greatest act of self-revelation occurs when we choose what we will believe, in that space of freedom that exists between knowing that a thing is and knowing that a thing is not.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

This is a fine essay by Terryl Givens: Letter to a Doubter

An excerpt from his concluding section:
    Interestingly, many people see their status as a non-believer as ennobling and reflective if their bravery, honesty, etc. I'm not sure whether both sides are right to some degree or if this is just the human tendency to flatter ourselves or both.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Interestingly, many people see their status as a non-believer as ennobling and reflective if their bravery, honesty, etc. I'm not sure whether both sides are right to some degree or if this is just the human tendency to flatter ourselves or both.
    It is indeed interesting. I think how you see it depends on where you stand. Funny how that works out in life. For example, Elder Holland said in the April GC:

When problems come and questions arise, do not start your quest for faith by saying how much you do not have, leading as it were with your “unbelief.” That is like trying to stuff a turkey through the beak! Let me be clear on this point: I am not asking you to pretend to faith you do not have. I am asking you to be true to the faith you do have. Sometimes we act as if an honest declaration of doubt is a higher manifestation of moral courage than is an honest declaration of faith. It is not! So let us all remember the clear message of this scriptural account: Be as candid about your questions as you need to be; life is full of them on one subject or another. But if you and your family want to be healed, don’t let those questions stand in the way of faith working its miracle.
    Depending on the circumstances, both you and he can be right.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I googled it, and the first link to it was from BYU online, so I posted the second link instead.
    You have a problem man.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    You have a problem man.
    Cut the man some slack. I think he dislikes Café Rio.

--Yeats

Cut the man some slack. I think he dislikes Café Rio.
    Which speaks to high character and taste

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Which speaks to high character and taste
    Yes. it would make him a kindred spirit with FM. A guy has to be good to his kindred spirits.

--Yeats

It's a good story, though. Did you read it?

What can I say? I like having a rival. I get all my hate out of the way on something trivial, and I have none left for the things that actually matter.
    That makes you a bigot. I prefer to hate everything and everyone equally.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    That makes you a bigot. I prefer to hate everything and everyone equally.
    Hating people in general just saves time

I finally made it through his letter. I have a hard time reading him for some reason. I like his ideas fine, but his style seems a little ... I don't know the word. It's like when you read the Joseph Smith history, which is beautifully written, and then you hit the part at the end written by Oliver Cowdery, which is a bit over the top.
    Verbose? I agree.

I finally made it through his letter. I have a hard time reading him for some reason. I like his ideas fine, but his style seems a little ... I don't know the word. It's like when you read the Joseph Smith history, which is beautifully written, and then you hit the part at the end written by Oliver Cowdery, which is a bit over the top.
    Givens is not always my cup of tea, but I think he's a super-smart guy and that this letter is well intentioned.

I also think that contemporary issues pose a greater threat to the faith of LDS membership than murky or unsavory history.

(I would categorize the ongoing debate about how to broach these difficult topics in LDS history, institutional openness, and apologia into the "contemporary issues" category.)
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Givens is not always my cup of tea, but I think he's a super-smart guy and that this letter is well intentioned.

I also think that contemporary issues pose a greater threat to the faith of LDS membership than murky or unsavory history.

(I would categorize the ongoing debate about how to broach these difficult topics in LDS history, institutional openness, and apologia into the "contemporary issues" category.)
    Maybe it's just me but I see the Holland talk, this Givens piece (and other such writings and speeches that I am forgetting) as evidence that the church's faithful intelligentsia are trying to respond to the difficult topics being so widely discussed these days. Givens is great, my only reservation being that his writing seems to emote just a bit too much.

How great are the Joseph Smith quotes that he uses? I have long thought that the problem with documentaries/histories about Joseph Smith is that it takes so long to explain who he was and what he did that there is never any room for what he taught. And not what he taught about controversial subjects - what he taught about charity, service, etc. His quotes on those topics are beautiful.
    I agree, and I don't think I had ever seen most of them before. I am clueless as to why those are not more widely known.

--Yeats

I'm confused by what you mean by "contemporary issues." Are you saying that the debate about whether to embrace/ignore historical warts is more of a threat to faith than the warts themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm confused by what you mean by "contemporary issues." Are you saying that the debate about whether to embrace/ignore historical warts is more of a threat to faith than the warts themselves?
    Exactly.
    In my opinion (and my experience), believing LDS have an easier time coming to grips with Joseph Smith's polygamy, or Book of Mormon historicity, or the sketchy timeline of the Melchizedek priesthood restoration more easily than with the way a lesson manual might whitewash or omit or selectively interpret these issues.

Every religion has a messed up past. It's the present that matters more to people (IMO).
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Exactly.
    In my opinion (and my experience), believing LDS have an easier time coming to grips with Joseph Smith's polygamy, or Book of Mormon historicity, or the sketchy timeline of the Melchizedek priesthood restoration more easily than with the way a lesson manual might whitewash or omit or selectively interpret these issues.

Every religion has a messed up past. It's the present that matters more to people (IMO).
    It has been my observation that for many converts the 'one true church' aspect is less important that what is happening in the now, and what they believe the church to currently be and how it is going to fulfill their spiritual needs. Coming to terms with that decision, that whole aspect becomes more important as validation of their choices. Members wanting to reinforce that feel it necessary to ignore the human elements of its leaders, all the way down to a local level.

Conversely, when we discover the human elements that are off-putting we then seek validation for why we don't like a person. I'm guilty of this very thing. A couple of weeks ago I had an employee I was very close to who told me he is moving on to another job in a less than ideal manner. When before I might have let pass some of his professional shortcomings, now those are what I seem to focus on when I'm trying to rationalize him going way.

Same thing with church leaders past and present. We'll dismiss or focus on their shortcomings dependent on our position relative to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    It has been my observation that for many converts the 'one true church' aspect is less important that what is happening in the now, and what they believe the church to currently be and how it is going to fulfill their spiritual needs. Coming to terms with that decision, that whole aspect becomes more important as validation of their choices. Members wanting to reinforce that feel it necessary to ignore the human elements of its leaders, all the way down to a local level.

Conversely, when we discover the human elements that are off-putting we then seek validation for why we don't like a person. I'm guilty of this very thing. A couple of weeks ago I had an employee I was very close to who told me he is moving on to another job in a less than ideal manner. When before I might have let pass some of his professional shortcomings, now those are what I seem to focus on when I'm trying to rationalize him going way.

Same thing with church leaders past and present. We'll dismiss or focus on their shortcomings dependent on our position relative to them.
    This is so true. For example, your status as a Ute fan makes me blind to (or at least very forgiving of) your shortcomings. In fact, that's the main reason I can stand associating with most of the nincompoops on this board.

--Yeats

This is so true. For example, your status as a Ute fan makes me blind to (or at least very forgiving of) your shortcomings. In fact, that's the main reason I can stand associating with most of the nincompoops on this board.
    I think that's something that's somewhat unique to the LDS church. It's more like a private club in that aspect, a unique built in networking system.

I think that's something that's somewhat unique to the LDS church. It's more like a private club in that aspect, a unique built in networking system.
    I was talking about Ute fanhood covering a multitude of sins. (I was kidding, too.) As for the LDS network I always say that for most people there are six degrees of separation. Mormons have only two.

--Yeats

I was talking about Ute fanhood covering a multitude of sins. (I was kidding, too.) As for the LDS network I always say that for most people there are six degrees of separation. Mormons have only two.
    I know (both on the Ute and kidding points), but it brought the LDS point to mind. I think that's why everyone starts a conversation with "what ward are you in?"

I know (both on the Ute and kidding points), but it brought the LDS point to mind. I think that's why everyone starts a conversation with "what ward are you in?"
    When people from Salt Lake learn that I am also from SLC, they always ask where I went to high school.

--Yeats

When people from Salt Lake learn that I am also from SLC, they always ask where I went to high school.
    That's usually the second question I get...although the people in handcuffs don't get a real answer haha

Where did you go to high school?
    48187900.jpg

--Yeats

The Believer Thread

That explains a lot LA

(My Dad went there too....)

That explains a lot LA

(My Dad went there too....)
    I played football with your uncle there.

--Yeats

I played football with your uncle there.
    Ok. Couple years ahead of my dad then.

It warms my heart to see the red bleeding through in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    It warms my heart to see the red bleeding through in the background.
    In my day any vandalism by the hooligans from the secondary education entity located in northeastern Salt Lake was always covered up within an hour or two.

--Yeats

Where did you go to high school?
    1989_org.jpg
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.