Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: A Believer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    As a graduate student at the U, I taught at that high school as a long-term sub for most of a semester just after the Sept. 11 attacks.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

In my day any vandalism by the hooligans from the secondary education entity located in northeastern Salt Lake was always covered up within an hour or two.
    In your day I'm sure there wasn't much vandalism, as the superior education entity located in northeastern SLC was busy winning state titles.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    We had a song we used to sing about your school. It was about where we thought you all should go as your eternal reward.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    In your day I'm sure there wasn't much vandalism, as the superior education entity located in northeastern SLC was busy winning state titles.
    Oh, I figured you were going to say that it was because spray paint had yet to be invented

It warms my heart to see the red bleeding through in the background.
    When I went to Highland, I hated East. Now my kids go to East and I hate Highland. Kicked their butts in lacrosse Saturday.

We had a song we used to sing about your school. It was about where we thought you all should go as your eternal reward.
    Yeah, well my Vranes beat your Judkins!
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Yeah, well my Vranes beat your Judkins!
    They weren't even in school at the same time. Typical Eagles exaggeration! Juddy graduated one year after me. We called him "spider."

By the way, we beat you in football two out of my three years.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

They weren't even in school at the same time. Typical Eagles exaggeration! Juddy graduated one year after me. We called him "spider."

Now I'm beginning to doubt myself. Maybe they did overlap a little bit in high school. Age is playing tricks on me. I can't help it.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Oh, I figured you were going to say that it was because spray paint had yet to be invented
    My Dad tells a story of when he was in high school at East, garage door openers were just becoming popular, and all of the newer Highland High homes on the hill had garage door openers. However, there were apparently not a lot of frequencies in use, so my Dad and his friends gathered up a bunch of garage door openers and went around the neighborhoods pushing them all, opening random garages. If no one closed it or came out to investigate after several minutes, they would assume no one was around and they were in the clear. They would then scope out the garages for red and white paint, which they helped themselves to in order to paint over the "H."

When people from Salt Lake learn that I am also from SLC, they always ask where I went to high school.
    I can say based on 20+ years experience, it is absolutely true that "in every city in the country, they ask you where you went to college. In Salt Lake, they ask you where you went to high school."

Fair enough, Lowell. The year I graduated we took state in football and hoops.

Not to go all Uncle Rico on you or anything, but don't look up the number of state football championships at Skyline vs Highland. It'll ruin your afternoon.

On the other hand, John Bytheway was a Rams grad. So at least you have that.

My Dad tells a story of when he was in high school at East, garage door openers were just becoming popular, and all of the newer Highland High homes on the hill had garage door openers. However, there were apparently not a lot of frequencies in use, so my Dad and his friends gathered up a bunch of garage door openers and went around the neighborhoods pushing them all, opening random garages. If no one closed it or came out to investigate after several minutes, they would assume no one was around and they were in the clear. They would then scope out the garages for red and white paint, which they helped themselves to in order to paint over the "H."
    What is the statute of limitations on that sort of activity, counselor?

My son spends Saturday nights running in a large pack of teenage boys all through the neighborhoods and Bonneville golf course, and I don't think it has changed much.

Fair enough, Lowell. The year I graduated we took state in football and hoops.

Not to go all Uncle Rico on you or anything, but don't look up the number of state football championships at Skyline vs Highland. It'll ruin your afternoon.

On the other hand, John Bytheway was a Rams grad. So at least you have that.
    That kind of smack is on a par with BYU 84 national championship smack. Skyline now has 400 kids in its senior class (not 1000) and it cant recruit football players any more, and you are down with the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    My son spends Saturday nights running in a large pack of teenage boys all through the neighborhoods and Bonneville golf course, and I don't think it has changed much.
    Sounds like that's exactly how it was 43-44 years ago when it was my Dad, and I know that's how it was 18-19 years ago when it was me.

That kind of smack is on a par with BYU 84 national championship smack. Skyline now has 400 kids in its senior class (not 1000) and it cant recruit football players any more, and you are down with the rest of us.
    This is kind of fun. Is there anyone on here that will admit having attended Olympus? (Drops mike and walks away)

The year I graduated ('76) we had +/- 1100 kids in the senior class. There was no need to recruit outside the boundaries. Man, it was huge.

I can say based on 20+ years experience, it is absolutely true that "in every city in the country, they ask you where you went to college. In Salt Lake, they ask you where you went to high school."
    I know where you went to high school.

--Yeats

The year I graduated ('76) we had +/- 1100 kids in the senior class. There was no need to recruit outside the boundaries. Man, it was huge.
    its funny how the large high schools have just continued to move South. First Highland, then Skyline, then Brighton, now Alta, and especially now Lone Peak.

You may as well just give me your phone number now, it'll save dispatch the time finding it

I know where you went to high school.

Hey, I admitted it (see above).

We disliked Skyline intensely because you had the unfair advantage we used to have, and we wanted it back!

--Yeats

You may as well just give me your phone number now, it'll save dispatch the time finding it
    My guess is you already have talked to my son, but you were nice to him.

This is kind of fun. Is there anyone on here that will admit having attended Olympus? (Drops mike and walks away)
    So if that's how you feel, how do you feel about the rumor about closing Skyline and sending everyone to Olympus?

My guess is you already have talked to my son, but you were nice to him.
    Maybe, my area is actually south of 1700 so that's where I spend most of my time.

We're having some issues with the Highland crowd, but it's usually around the school.

Kids from Highland really like to egg things.

So if that's how you feel, how do you feel about the rumor about closing Skyline and sending everyone to Olympus?
    That would be a sad day for me. BTW, how did all of this wind up in the believer thread?

Maybe, my area is actually south of 1700 so that's where I spend most of my time.

We're having some issues with the Highland crowd, but it's usually around the school.

Kids from Highland really like to egg things.
    I haven't heard about eggs. Snowballs and TP, yes.

I haven't heard about eggs. Snowballs and TP, yes.
    The eggs have slowed since one ended in arrests.

The eggs have slowed since one ended in arrests.
    I am pretty sure none of the East kids has ever been arrested or done anything to warrant it. They have been giveing warnings, and told to knock it off, which I think they have done.

I am pretty sure none of the East kids has ever been arrested or done anything to warrant it. They have been giveing warnings, and told to knock it off, which I think they have done.
    Yeah. This one ended up going beyond eggs unfortunately.

Eggs were a Highland thing, East tends to like to take over the parking lot of the Red Robin and harass people. They usually leave when we show up.

Most the kids we deal with are decent, just not always using common sense.