Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: A Believer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Maybe, my area is actually south of 1700 so that's where I spend most of my time.

We're having some issues with the Highland crowd, but it's usually around the school.

Kids from Highland really like to egg things.
    I will have to ask my son about this. He is supposed to go straight home after school and as far as I know he does. May have to check to make sure he is.

Quote Originally Posted by GUBA View Post
    I will have to ask my son about this. He is supposed to go straight home after school and as far as I know he does. May have to check to make sure he is.
    I work at night, so this is after 10pm

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    BTW, how did all of this wind up in the believer thread?
    It may have been my fault.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It may have been my fault.
    Perhaps a new thread is in order, "The Uncle Rico Thread"?
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

It's fast and testimony meeting this Sunday and I am conducting. Looking forward to it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Maybe, my area is actually south of 1700 so that's where I spend most of my time.

We're having some issues with the Highland crowd, but it's usually around the school.

Kids from Highland really like to egg things.
    We East kids engaged in the occasional eggings back in the day. Our preferred method of delivery was to toss a spool of string over a tree branch and then hang the egg so it would hit the car's windshield. The advantages were that we knew it would only get windshield, which are easier to clean and less likely to damage than paint, plus we could sit in a car a block or so away and watch cars stop and run around looking for who threw the eggs.

We were snowballing once from off the roof of the white church right next to Clayton Jr. High, and we thought we were safe up there, but one guy and his friends in a white van stopped and tracked us down. He gave us the option of going with him in his van or calling the cops, so being brilliant kids wanting to avoid cops we got in his van. He drove us to his studio apartment by the U, made us write our names down (all fake, of course) and screamed at us for about 20 minutes while he drank a beer before we just took off. Smart move on our part.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    We were snowballing once from off the roof of the white church right next to Clayton Jr. High, and we thought we were safe up there....
    That would be the Hillside Stake center, where I went to church my entire life before leaving home. Early Morning Seminary was there too. Good times.

--Yeats

We East kids engaged in the occasional eggings back in the day. Our preferred method of delivery was to toss a spool of string over a tree branch and then hang the egg so it would hit the car's windshield. The advantages were that we knew it would only get windshield, which are easier to clean and less likely to damage than paint, plus we could sit in a car a block or so away and watch cars stop and run around looking for who threw the eggs.

We were snowballing once from off the roof of the white church right next to Clayton Jr. High, and we thought we were safe up there, but one guy and his friends in a white van stopped and tracked us down. He gave us the option of going with him in his van or calling the cops, so being brilliant kids wanting to avoid cops we got in his van. He drove us to his studio apartment by the U, made us write our names down (all fake, of course) and screamed at us for about 20 minutes while he drank a beer before we just took off. Smart move on our part.
    I thought "hanging an egg" was specific to Skyline. We used to do that on my street (Old Millcreek Road, that diagonally connects Wasatch Blvd to 3800 South at the 4 way stop). We were never caught. Not even once.

The eggs have slowed since one ended in arrests.
    My daughter's car (my car) has been egged three times in the last year. We've been toilet papered twice. The house across the street has probably been toilet papered 10 times in the last 6 or 7 years (they have two very pretty girls). Last Friday night, someone threw a damn water balloon at my window while I was having a party. I took it upon my self to let all the kids on my street know the next day that they are clearly not afraid enough of me and to spread the word that the wrath of two utes is about to come down hard on those I catch.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    I thought "hanging an egg" was specific to Skyline. We used to do that on my street (Old Millcreek Road, that diagonally connects Wasatch Blvd to 3800 South at the 4 way stop). We were never caught. Not even once.
    Hey, this is the believer thread, not a place to brag about past transgressions.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    My daughter's car (my car) has been egged three times in the last year. We've been toilet papered twice. The house across the street has probably been toilet papered 10 times in the last 6 or 7 years (they have two very pretty girls). Last Friday night, someone threw a damn water balloon at my window while I was having a party. I took it upon my self to let all the kids on my street know the next day that they are clearly not afraid enough of me and to spread the word that the wrath of two utes is about to come down hard on those I catch.
    Sugar House, by the way.

Sugar House, by the way.
    You mean Country Club. You are not in Sugar House. But those Highland boys can be animals. At least when I was young.
    Last edited by concerned; 05-02-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You mean Country Club. You are not in Sugar House. But those Highland boys can be animals. At least when I was young.
    Country Club presumes I live on a golf course. I don't.

Country Club presumes I live on a golf course. I don't.
    you are infinitely closer to the golf course than to sugar house.

Hey, this is the believer thread, not a place to brag about past transgressions.
    Sometime I'll have to describe the afternoon that four scouts (I may or may not have been one of them) dumped an ENTIRE gallon of Coleman fuel into a latrine at Camp Steiner, then threw matches between the wall and roof.

And there is a simple explanation for the high school thing. If you ask someone where they went to high school you will inevitably know someone who went to high school with them. You will know where they grew up and you will automatically know a shit load of information about them (that's Utah folks).

It's that two degrees to Kevin Bacon thing that LA Ute was referring to the other day.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 05-02-2013 at 04:43 PM.

...so being brilliant kids wanting to avoid cops we got in his van...
    Kidnapping is usually a fitting punishment for snowballing a car. I'm both horrified and laughing at the notion in teenagers heads that ending up dead in the back of some random guy's van is better than calling your parents from the police station... Why? Because I'm pretty sure I would have gone with that logic at the time too.

This is a cool story on so many levels.

From 'Book of Mormon' musical to Mormon convert

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865...?s_cid=Email-4

It brings to mind this OT scripture, which we studied in Seminary last year:

"Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks." --Jeremiah 16:16.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-29-2013 at 11:53 AM.

--Yeats

I had my recurring dream last night that I'm curious if others of you who have served LDS missions have had. Basically it is right now and I get a call from my mission president who says they need me to come back out, to which I agree to do. Next thing I know, I'm out there matched up with some 19yo kid and I'm thinking, "I should be home with my family, how are they going to survive?" I usually wake up to a ton of relief, and admiration for the old days where guys did just that.

Anybody else have recurring dreams/nightmares like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I had my recurring dream last night that I'm curious if others of you who have served LDS missions have had. Basically it is right now and I get a call from my mission president who says they need me to come back out, to which I agree to do. Next thing I know, I'm out there matched up with some 19yo kid and I'm thinking, "I should be home with my family, how are they going to survive?" I usually wake up to a ton of relief, and admiration for the old days where guys did just that.

Anybody else have recurring dreams/nightmares like that?
    I have that same dream every year or so. I think it's God's way of telling me to stop complaining about teaching primary or home teaching.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I have that same dream every year or so. I think it's God's way of telling me to stop complaining about teaching primary or home teaching.
    For at least ten years after my mission I had dreams about being back out on my mission and wondering "how the hell did I get back out here?" Then I wake up in a cold sweat realizing it was just a dream. Trauma?

This is a cool story on so many levels.

From 'Book of Mormon' musical to Mormon convert

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865...?s_cid=Email-4

It brings to mind this OT scripture, which we studied in Seminary last year:

"Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks." --Jeremiah 16:16.
    Awesome.

Thought for the weekend:

"One must keep on pointing out that Christianity is a statement which, if false, is of no importance, and, if true, of infinite importance. The one thing it cannot be is moderately important."

-- C.S. Lewis

--Yeats

Thought for the weekend:

"One must keep on pointing out that Christianity is a statement which, if false, is of no importance, and, if true, of infinite importance. The one thing it cannot be is moderately important."

-- C.S. Lewis
    That quote is flat retarded. Christianity is currently hugely influential in the world when its veracity is unknown. A large proportion of the population operates with near certainty that Christianity is true, and yet one would never guess from their behavior. Similarly, a large proportion of the population operates with near certainty that Christianity is false, yet even they are strongly influenced by the narratives, archetypes, and moral codes presented in the bible. The religious traditions of Greece and Rome still influence our lives and thinking today. Finally, regardless of any amount of evidence as to the veracity of Christianity, people will still not change their prior conviction. For instance, certain aspects of historical Christianity such ad the creation myth are clearly not true, yet people still adhere to the belief and the belief continues to have influence over Christians and non-Christians alike. To say that powerful ideas lose their power simply because they're false is plain wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    That quote is flat retarded. Christianity is currently hugely influential in the world when its veracity is unknown. A large proportion of the population operates with near certainty that Christianity is true, and yet one would never guess from their behavior. Similarly, a large proportion of the population operates with near certainty that Christianity is false, yet even they are strongly influenced by the narratives, archetypes, and moral codes presented in the bible. The religious traditions of Greece and Rome still influence our lives and thinking today. Finally, regardless of any amount of evidence as to the veracity of Christianity, people will still not change their prior conviction. For instance, certain aspects of historical Christianity such ad the creation myth are clearly not true, yet people still adhere to the belief and the belief continues to have influence over Christians and non-Christians alike. To say that powerful ideas lose their power simply because they're false is plain wrong.
    Obviously, Christianity is important historically. I'm guessing that Mr. Lewis means "important" in the sense of human salvation or connection with the divine.

The truth or falsity of Christianity's statement (I like that phrase, btw) is a cosmic question, not an issue of assessing Christianity's influence on the world.

-at least, that's how I read it. I don't find it a particularly profound point since you could say the same thing about any religion (in this sense that I'm reading it).
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Obviously, Christianity is important historically. I'm guessing that Mr. Lewis means "important" in the sense of human salvation or connection with the divine.

The truth or falsity of Christianity's statement (I like that phrase, btw) is a cosmic question, not an issue of assessing Christianity's influence on the world.

-at least, that's how I read it. I don't find it a particularly profound point since you could say the same thing about any religion (in this sense that I'm reading it).
    I think you have Lewis's intent right. He's saying that in one way, Christianity's (and Christ's) claim is binary: Either Jesus was all he said he was, or he is not. If he saved mankind and is the Way, the Truth and the Life, then he is everything to us. If he did not and is not, then he's a very important important figure historically but a fraud. I guess you could say the same about Mormonism and Joseph Smith, but only because of the connection to Christianity and the claim of being restored Christanity.

You're right that the same could be said about other faiths, to the extent they claim exclusivity. Islam, for example. Not Judaism, as I understand it.

--Yeats

You're right that the same could be said about other faiths, to the extent they claim exclusivity. Islam, for example. Not Judaism, as I understand it.
    Exclusivity of what?

The Believer Thread

Exclusivity of what?
    That was shorthand for the "one true church," or the one way to worship/please/return to the only true God.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-11-2013 at 03:48 PM.

--Yeats

Here's a thought for Mormons, or Christians or Muslims: What if the "truth" of your religion is not factually correct? For LDS, for example, what if Joseph Smith (more or less) fabricated the Book of Abraham? (Given what we know about Egyptian today this is not an outrageous hypothetical) Does that mean every other aspect of the religion is purely a façade, a fraud, worthless?

The same question could be asked of Christianity, and Islam. If Jesus really was just a man, and he's not coming back, does that mean all of his teachings are worthless?

What is our view today of the believers of Thor (since a lot of our ancestors certainly were in this school of thought)? All of their beliefs were basically just a futile attempt to make sense of this life?

I suppose there is the scenario where Joseph Smith was a fraud, but Jesus is truly the Son of God, at which point you could make the case that Joseph Smith and the adherents of the LDS faith helped a lot of people come closer to Jesus, so it’s not as though the entire exercise is without merit.

You could say the exact thing about any mythology created for the express purpose of being infinitely important. If Unicornizm (the belief that unicorns will once again roam the earth farting eternal happiness) were true, it would be infinitely important. If I believed my toaster could transport me instantaneously anywhere through space and time, it would be of infinite importance if true. If Pauly Shore had the ability to raise the dead, it would be of infinite importance. It's a nonsensical quote where the key word Christianity could be replaced mad libs style for the same effect.

it is infuriating because it poses the single stupidest reason for being religious in that it is a good risk/reward ratio neglecting the cumative potential lost by millions of people over centuries pursuing a false reason for existing. It is the equivalent of playing spiritual lottery except with worse odds.
    Last edited by jrj84105; 05-12-2013 at 07:05 AM.