Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planned Parenthood and Fetal Body Parts

Honest question: what care for the poor that is provided by PP isn't now covered through Obamacare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That is a practical question for an issue that is merely symbolic.

Conservatives blew this opportunity (surprise). They had a great chance with the videos to build momentum against late term abortions, but they allowed the debate to center on PP funding instead. No way they win that fight. The real question has been completely swept away.
    I think you are right.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Pardon my French, but the 'Defund PP!' attempt is just fucking stupid. PP doesn't get a fat check delivered to them on a silver platter by the gubmint. They are reimbursed for ICD-9 charges just like every other hospital and clinic in the nation (except those who do not bill insurance and/or Medicare). Even a placekicker from byu should be able to comprehend that. I can envision the politicians who keep pushing this trope covering themselves in white ash, spraying chrome paint on their mouths, and screaming, "Witness Me!! " a la the War Boys in Mad Max:Thunder Road.

Witness Me!

Sancho hit it on the mark, the right got distracted by the shiny thing and went for the defund PP, when it was a real opportunity to show just how deplorable late term abortion really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Sancho hit it on the mark, the right got distracted by the shiny thing and went for the defund PP, when it was a real opportunity to show just how deplorable late term abortion really is.
    Ted Cruz has a lot of responsibility for that. He's an egotist and most of the positions he takes are for his own political benefit. Yes, almost all politicians are like that but he takes it to the extreme. Shutting down the government is a stupid thing to do, for example, but it energizes his base so he makes that his hobby horse. This last time around the adult Republicans in the room shut him down instead.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Ted Cruz has a lot of responsibility for that. He's an egotist and most of the positions he takes are for his own political benefit. Yes, almost all politicians are like that but he takes it to the extreme. Shutting down the government is a stupid thing to do, for example, but it energizes his base so he makes that his hobby horse. This last time around the adult Republicans in the room shut him down instead.

So there is hope...

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, but it's stupid on both sides. It's purely symbolic. On the one hand, PP doesn't cost us more than another clinic would. On the other, we already have other clinics to cover these health issues. The whole debate is really about separating things so that PP only deals in abortion.
    But many places don't have other clinics that cover those things.

PP also will charge on a sliding scale for those who don't have the ability to pay. This is especially important in the states that have refused to expand Medicaid. (See Utah)

Banned
    I just stumbled on this damn thread. Makes me want to use forceps to crush that damn doctor's calvarium. What a callous bitch she is.
    Last edited by Devildog; 10-08-2015 at 09:15 PM.

--Yeats

Congress establishes a committee to investigate abortion providers. This committee will spend a lot of time and money and will build a lot of political capital for politicians, and will ultimately come to the same conclusion as the 12 state committees, AGs, and medical ethics boards. Nothing illegal happened and medical ethics have not been violated.

--Yeats

That article is woefully short of detail.

Here's one with a bit more information

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ills/77151954/

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    That article is woefully short of detail.

Here's one with a bit more information

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ills/77151954/

It does fill in some details. In every state I know about, however, the buck stops with the medical provider to be sure tissue is disposed of properly. PP needs to deal with its contracted disposal entity. Still bad PR.

--Yeats

It does fill in some details. In every state I know about, however, the buck stops with the medical provider to be sure tissue is disposed of properly. PP needs to deal with its contracted disposal entity. Still bad PR.
    It is the same with hazardous waste. About 15 years ago there was a scandal in Utah where a company was found dumping oil in the West Desert. Apparently they gathered used oil from auto parts stores, dealers, lube centers, etc, and were being paid to take it for 'recycling'. They were digging a hole in the ground and dumping it.

Well when people would drop off waste oil at the local auto parts store they would collect some info from them. Guess who the EPA was threatening to fine for dumping the oil? They wanted to hit the original 'producers' of the various hazardous waste streams. Thus means every shade tree mechanic who dropped off 5 quarts at Autozone was at risk.

Fortunately the state was able to sort it all out, otherwise thousands of people potentially could have been fined thousands of dollars each for the actions of one bad actor.

The waste disposal company should take a huge hit in this. They should also be investigated for the disposal of other medical waste. Chances are very good that they improperly disposed of plenty of other things, since it must be cheaper to chuck it in the garbage than to incinerate it.

Which may be true

But if that's the case it sure makes this appear to be politically motivated, since Ohio's AG admits he didn't look at the disposal of anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Which may be true

But if that's the case it sure makes this appear to be politically motivated, since Ohio's AG admits he didn't look at the disposal of anything else

Of course he is trying to score political points. He's from a political family (his dad was Senator for decades) and he has ambitions.

--Yeats

One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Lol.

--Yeats

Texas DA withdraws all remaining charges against CMP’s Daleiden over Planned Parenthood videos

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/2...nthood-videos/

--Yeats