View Poll Results: Where will Alex play in 2013?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • San Francisco

0 0%
  • Kansas City

11 57.89%
  • Arizona

6 31.58%
  • Jacksonville

0 0%
  • New York Jets

0 0%
  • Tennessee

0 0%
  • Buffalo

1 5.26%
  • Minnesota

0 0%
  • Oakland

1 5.26%
  • other

0 0%

Thread: Where will Alex Smith play in 2013?

Where will Alex Smith play in 2013?

I'm hoping they just release him so he can pick where he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma Ute View Post
    I'm hoping they just release him so he can pick where he wants.
    I'm still holding out hope for Arizona, but it's becoming more apparent that KC may be where he lands.

I voted Buffalo but with my heart, not my head. His mistake free play would be a welcome change from what they have now.

Banned
    Speculation right now is that the 49ers won't give him a release. They say they are trying to keep him. Kapernick isn't the only running QB to risk injury, and without a solid back-up there is trouble for San Francisco.

Someone is gonna have to offer a trade to get Alex. I would like to see Andy Reid and the Chiefs get Alex (even though I am a Bronco fan). The Chiefs have some strong talent, but they need a quarterback bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Speculation right now is that the 49ers won't give him a release. They say they are trying to keep him. Kapernick isn't the only running QB to risk injury, and without a solid back-up there is trouble for San Francisco.

Someone is gonna have to offer a trade to get Alex. I would like to see Andy Reid and the Chiefs get Alex (even though I am a Bronco fan). The Chiefs have some strong talent, but they need a quarterback bad.
    I understand that Alex is due for another big pay day if he stays in SF, but I don't think he cares about that at this point. I hope the 9ers do the right thing, and let him go.

I think the 49ers are trying to get someone to trade for him by saying they won't cut him. Either someone will offer a third round pick for him, or he will get cut. They won't want to pay him 8 million.

If he gets traded, it will be to KC, and only if Reid can't get Foles for a third round pick. Then he will offer that third to the 49ers for Smith.

If he gets cut, I see him going to Oakland. He won't have to move, and they are an up and coming team that could use a good solid leader.

Banned
    I agree with what you guys are saying... However, it makes sense for the 49ers to try to keep Alex, even though they will have to pay him.

RG3 blew a knee at the end of last season, where would the Redskins be if he got injured middle of the season?

The 49ers have a very talented team, and if Kapernick gets hurt, having Alex around is a sound insurance policy.

I hope Alex gets out of S.F., but I see why... if he can't.

I agree with what you guys are saying... However, it makes sense for the 49ers to try to keep Alex, even though they will have to pay him.

RG3 blew a knee at the end of last season, where would the Redskins be if he got injured middle of the season?

The 49ers have a very talented team, and if Kapernick gets hurt, having Alex around is a sound insurance policy.

Totally agree. If the niners are unable to secure a competent backup in the offseason then it would be stupid of them to let Smith walk. I would just like to see them think about a little more then just their organizational needs, but I do realize this is a business.

The problem with the NFL is the hard salary cap. 8 million is a lot for a backup player. You could get 2-5 solid players that would potentially play a lot more than Smith for 8 million dollars.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    The problem with the NFL is the hard salary cap. 8 million is a lot for a backup player. You could get 2-5 solid players that would potentially play a lot more than Smith for 8 million dollars.
    Yeah, I see that... but, how many other players contribute as much as a quarterback? Smith is a known commodity, they know he is capable of stepping in and running the team to the playoffs if Kapernick is injured. That keeps all the money they have invested in their other players producing. Insurance policy for their entire payroll.

This is exactly right. They have to weight the value of Alex at 8M combined with the odds of him playing significant minutes, and compare that to the expected benefits they would receive from spending that money elsewhere.

The Redskins have a capable young backup in Kirk Cousins. He struggled a bit when he had to come into the Atlanta game but he looked great at the end of the Baltimore game and in the Cleveland game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    This is exactly right. They have to weight the value of Alex at 8M combined with the odds of him playing significant minutes, and compare that to the expected benefits they would receive from spending that money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma Ute View Post
    The Redskins have a capable young backup in Kirk Cousins. He struggled a bit when he had to come into the Atlanta game but he looked great at the end of the Baltimore game and in the Cleveland game.
    OK, you have a good point there. Cousins didn't look bad. I was thinking of the Redskins the year before with no decent QB.

I realize 8.5 million would make Alex the highest paid backup in the NFL... and spending that much on a back-up is a risk... but, if you owned the 49ers... would you want to risk the whole season, and the short window you have (being among the NFL elite teams) on the chance that Kapernick won't get injured running all over the field?

Love the retort Devil. Part of me hopes he is just out of SF. That place is a cesspool.

Banned
    Love the retort Devil. Part of me hopes he is just out of SF. That place is a cesspool.
    Me too. I voted for KC on the poll. I would love to see Alex get a fresh start with a new team. I just think it's realistic to see the 49ers consider keeping him if they don't receive a serious trade offer from somebody.

OK, you have a good point there. Cousins didn't look bad. I was thinking of the Redskins the year before with no decent QB.

I realize 8.5 million would make Alex the highest paid backup in the NFL... and spending that much on a back-up is a risk... but, if you owned the 49ers... would you want to risk the whole season, and the short window you have (being among the NFL elite teams) on the chance that Kapernick won't get injured running all over the field?

Yes, the year before was a nightmare if you're a Redskins fan like me. Rex Grossman and John Beck? Wow that was bad.

I heard an interview with Harbaugh where he said Alex was more than just a back up qb to CK - he was also a coach and mentor. I think the reasoning in SF is that Alex is worth the high salary since injury might result a la RG3 and Alex also makes kaepernick a smarter qb.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    I heard an interview with Harbaugh where he said Alex was more than just a back up qb to CK - he was also a coach and mentor. I think the reasoning in SF is that Alex is worth the high salary since injury might result a la RG3 and Alex also makes kaepernick a smarter qb.
    If I'm Alex, I put up a stink. No more Mr. Nice Guy. Alex can still get one more big contract. He won't if he stays is SF.

If I'm Alex, I put up a stink. No more Mr. Nice Guy. Alex can still get one more big contract. He won't if he stays is SF.
    If I were Alex and they didn't release or trade me I'd quit football.

Yahoo! reporting that the 49ers are looking to trade Smith:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--49...014704869.html

Makes sense. I don't think Alex will be traded. I don't think any team is desperate enough to spend a third round pick on him. I still think he will be released and then he will sign with the Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Rumors are out that the Niners have made a deal with someone to trade him:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...trade-in-place

The Jags have already said it's not them. Trade can't be official until middle of March.
    Sounds like it's Kansas City.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...7921--nfl.html

I liked the thought of KC more when I thought there was a chance Star would be going there as well.

As a Philly fan, I do like Reid though and I think Smith would do good under Reid.

I liked the thought of KC more when I thought there was a chance Star would be going there as well.

As a Philly fan, I do like Reid though and I think Smith would do good under Reid.
    As a Bills fan (2nd favorite team) I was hoping he'd go there. It would be a welcome relief from the walking turnover they have now. KC and Reid would be a good fit though.

Florio is reporting in his blog that there is no deal for Smith in place. Sounds like an attempt by the 49ers to drive up interest and trade value.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...smith/related/
    You can observe a lot by just watching - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by 3UteDad View Post
    Florio is reporting in his blog that there is no deal for Smith in place. Sounds like an attempt by the 49ers to drive up interest and trade value.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...smith/related/
    That makes sense. They'll probably hold out until the last minute to get the best deal they can.