Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
Tipping at restaurants is becoming too complex for my simple mind. In Italy its offensive to tip, because that fee was already included in the price of the meal. In Spain, it’s not required to tip and if you do, no more than 10%. France just 5%. In the U.S. I’ve always tipped on a sliding scale between 10-20% (10% for bad service, 20% for great service). My Father who has never given a penny more than 10% to anyone his entire life taught me my restaurant etiquette, and then my wife fixed me.

However, am I being a cheap bastard when I order take out, drive to pick it up myself and then don’t tip? I’ve always believed that if you are waiting on me, bringing me food/drink you deserve additional compensation. If I’m doing most of that myself, should I tip?

Someone who subscribes to Maxim or GQ help a brother out, what is the proper etiquette for picking up food (tip or no)?
For takeout, I'll usually tip around 10% if it is a locally owned, small restaurant. I won't tip if it is from a national chain.