Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The V may represent the valley, but on the field it stands for VICTORY!!! Utes vs. Bulldogs

DeVontae tanks Tank.

https://vine.co/v/ePW5ehvXVnD

Just catching up on this thread. How much did Utah end up losing by? I'm guessing it was a lot based on the majority of the commentary here.

Let's talk about the game.

1. We won by 3tds on the road. Can we really complain all that much?

2. We had a 2 td lead for noisy of the game. Why not get Hansen some reps? Biggest disappointment by far about the game.

3. Kendall Thompson can't throw. He has no zip on the ball. We need travis back for conference play.

4. Defensive line played great. Kyle Fitts played well. And we actually blitzed!

5. Devonte is deceptively fast. I'll say it. He's the best rb at Utah ever.

6. I thought our receivers played well. Especially blocking.

7. The last Fresno td was a great pass. He put that right on the money.

8. Phillips still looks shaky as hell

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    3-0 and I'm utterly unimpressed.
    We played with a second string QB all game. We played without our best defensive end (He and Wilson probably could have played but were held out). We played very conservatively.

Kyle just wants to win and doesn't care if he wins by 2 or by 9. This is Kyle Whittingham football, like it or not. This will always be Kyle Whittingham football, like it or not. We are going to have at least 6 games this year that are nail biters because Kyle is a defensive guy and Kyle thinks our special teams are better than most everybody else and will win it for us with field goals and field position.

Oh, and we've NEVER won in Fresno before.

BTW why do the announcers keep saying jim Harding is the offensive coordinator?

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Highlight video. Including a sideline view of Booker being mean.

@utahathletics: The Utes are 3-0 after last night's 45-24 win, which featured #BookMode and big plays on special teams. #goutes
    https://t.co/R0xouLa6B9

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    BTW why do the announcers keep saying jim Harding is the offensive coordinator?

Kyle said at one point that Jim had the final call on offensive decisions.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I like JH calling the plays from the sideline. He and ARod are doing OK so far on playcalling.

I really wish Scott was able to haul in a big play last night. I was happy they finally hit the TE on the slant route. That play has been missing since the Murphy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    3-0 and I'm utterly unimpressed.
    I'd hate to see your attitude if we'd have lost one of our first three games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Let's talk about the game.

1. We won by 3tds on the road. Can we really complain all that much?
    With a back up QB no less.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    We played with a second string QB all game. We played without our best defensive end (He and Wilson probably could have played but were held out). We played very conservatively.

Kyle just wants to win and doesn't care if he wins by 2 or by 9. This is Kyle Whittingham football, like it or not. This will always be Kyle Whittingham football, like it or not. We are going to have at least 6 games this year that are nail biters because Kyle is a defensive guy and Kyle thinks our special teams are better than most everybody else and will win it for us with field goals and field position.

Oh, and we've NEVER won in Fresno before.
    Spot on.

What I liked:

The play calling was really pretty good -- that one screen call was perfect.

Kylie Fitts will be a beast before he's done.

Booker once again earned most of his yards after being hit at the line of scrimmage. But the line opened some nice holes for him. That's important improvement and I think it will continue.

The 3rd down conversions (goes along with the play-calling). 13 of 19, which we haven't seen in years.

Covey juking his way to the house on his TD runback.

Butler not giving up and taking that kickoff 99 yards to the house.

Some pretty doggone good blocking by the receivers -- another sign of improvement in an area the coaches identified as needing it.

Thompson doing a basically decent job of filling in for Wilson. He did show why he's not #1 but he got the job done, and again A-Rod called plays that Kendal could execute.

I'm still cautiously optimistic. We seem to be improving. Michigan may eventually be seen as a better win than it first seemed to be.

Whittball is never going to be flashy but I think these guys can grind out 7-8 wins. Maybe more, if certain things are cleaned up: run blocking, WR routes and completing passes downfield, Andy's shaky kicking.

We'll see. Realistic expectations will help us all stay sane.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-20-2015 at 01:57 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'd hate to see your attitude if we'd have lost one of our first three games.
    This is true. We should not have lost any of the first three games. This Utah team has the talent to be good.

I just wish we could throw/complete a downfield pass.

Anyone know if there is a scheduled replay of this game? I looked through the channel lineup and have not seen one. I would like to see the first 8.5 minutes of the game. ��

Gotta love this shot of Whit's half time speech. Is there even a visitor's locker room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Gotta love this shot of Whit's half time speech. Is there even a visitor's locker room?

I was wondering about that. Kind of hard to to believe that all they have is a parking lot. Maybe it's on the way back to the stadium from the locker room?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Pretty sure the last time Utah played a game in the PTZ with a late night start and traveling with a QB it wasn't sure or not would play was the infamous 2007 game against UNLV. No need to rehash that game, but I'll remind you that we were only 8 point faves in that game, or almost half of what we were favored by against Fresno. And we covered with ease last night.

I didn't watch the game last night, but I followed along as best I could and have read as much as possible. We're still a decent team that struggles in spots. That description fits about 70 other teams in America, but not all of them are 3-0. We got largely what we wanted out of the non-con -- more than I think Oregon wanted. Ducks are beatable. I'm excited for next week. I think we got a real shot at winning. Without looking, I'll say the opening line is Oregon -8.

From the NE corner of the endzone...

Fresno was 14-2 at home in MWC games under DeRuyter, previously. I would not be surprised if several bulldogs are in traction today. We knew it would be a physical mismatch, and it was. Fresno's coaches knew exactly what we were going to do, and they were powerless to stop it. Their linemen were really hating life last night.

At one point our DL was Mokofisi and Fitts at DEs, Lotulelei and Stevie Tu'ikavalatu inside. It was painful to watch Fresno trying to get a ground game going. Dave Schramm is a very good coach, and Fresno is very young, with good potential at QB and the skills positions, but last night I was feeling badly for Schramm.

Hobbs fumbled the opening kickoff. Thompson and Joe Williams had a missed exchange, and Thompson threw up a prayer, which was rightly picked off in the endzone. Booker got snagged on what should have been a 70+ yard TD, and Siale Fakailoatonga got tripped up by the turf monster on what should have been another long TD pass play. I think Thompson passes for 300 if those two plays go as they should.

Phillips nailed his one attempt, Hackett was outstanding, CBB and Covey got some well deserved glory. Stevie T got a D-lineman's wet dream, got hurt, and most importantly, came back in. We had a completely blown coverage on their long TD - actually a very well designed play by Schramm to get our CBs out of the area and have Masina covering a great athlete. We got toasted on the onside kick, we have areas to work on, but we won by 21 on the road, cashed the check and got out of town.

Utah football is smash-mouth like every opposing coach hates to see, and the guy who admitted it, and came clean that he's glad his own smash-mouth team isn't playing us this year just went into the Coliseum and beat USC.

From Corey Butler-Byrd. Maybe this explains why we hired a lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    From Corey Butler-Byrd. Maybe this explains why we hired a lawyer

I love Sharrief. Always have, going back to his plying days. He is such a great communicator and ambassador for the program and he has put together a strong group of DBs. IIRC we are the only school to have a DB/Safety drafted in each of the last five years.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I love Sharrief. Always have, going back to his plying days. He is such a great communicator and ambassador for the program and he has put together a strong group of DBs. IIRC we are the only school to have a DB/Safety drafted in each of the last five years.
    I admit I was an early skeptic about the hire but this one has worked out well.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I feel bad for Virgil. Not so much for Greenlee. Idiot.

--Yeats

I didn't realize we broke their qb. That stinks. I feel bad for Virgil. He played tough against us.

Greenlee was just a dumbass. Now Schramm will be forced to start his 3rd string qb...

They are probably having nightmares about this...

https://vine.co/v/ePqjQ5BBJJ6

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    They are probably having nightmares about this...

https://vine.co/v/ePqjQ5BBJJ6
    I've watched that clip about 50 times and it's just insane. Any chance they're able to play both ways? Booker would probably appreciate that.