Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is NOT the Elders Quorum: fixing the Misperception of Utah By 5

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I've been trying. Last time he brought it up, his response was basically the same as the origin of this thread--it's too much church talk and not enough sports. Still, I wish he'd find this place a sanctuary from all the online madness.
    Man, I keep hearing this. (I even changed the thread title in response!) Maybe we need to do something more to make the religion threads not jump about at people. We've already taken steps, by moving the "what's new?" button, and we'll probably do more. Maybe we should require some affirmative steps for people to get to those threads? Or maybe there is a way to allow people to ignore certain sub-forums altogether. We'll look into it. (As you can see, I am very generous with U-Ute's time.)

For now, tell ColoUte that he's mistaken. He can ignore all the religion talk by just hitting the "New Posts" button when he gets here and look at the ones he cares about. Tell him we'll give him a signing bonus for showing up here. What will it take? I have a terrific football parking pass that I never use because I can walk to the stadium.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Just took a peek over at UteHub. Good lord that place is already a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Man, I keep hearing this. (I even changed the thread title in response!) Maybe we need to do something more to make the religion threads not jump about at people. We've already taken steps, by moving the "what's new?" button, and we'll probably do more. Maybe we should require some affirmative steps for people to get to those threads? Or maybe there is a way to allow people to ignore certain sub-forums altogether. We'll look into it. (As you can see, I am very generous with U-Ute's time.)

For now, tell ColoUte that he's mistaken. He can ignore all the religion talk by just hitting the "New Posts" button when he gets here and look at the ones he cares about. Tell him we'll give him a signing bonus for showing up here. What will it take? I have a terrific football parking pass that I never use because I can walk to the stadium.
    Taking a page from Cougarboard, I think the religion forum is only accessible to board contributors. I'm not sure what I think of this, but it probably does encourage more new users to visit and reserves the more contentious subjects for people who are already committed enough to donate. It seems pretty disingenuous to me though.

I like this site. I wish there were a little more traffic/participation. I read about the ALUF reputation of this site over on UFN over the weekend. I never have gotten that sense, but then again, I'm an ALUF, so I probably have some blind spots to that sort of thing. I just sensed less overt LDS cynicism over here.

I DO think this forum has too many categories. I think this site would do just fine by having two categories: sports and non-sports. Not too unlike the way the PAC-12 Message Board has organized theirs.

Anyway, I'm pulling for this place. I think it's a good community. (And I say these things in the name of Cheese and Rice, amen).

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Once a reputation is established, it's hard to shed.
    You mean we have a scarlet "M" on our site? Horrified.png
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-21-2015 at 02:59 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I have divested my avatar and signature line of any said scarlet M references. Just doing my part.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-21-2015 at 03:00 PM.

When what we need is a different scarlet..

ScarJo.jpg

Hey, if you guys need someone to take the class level down a few notches, I'm your guy.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-21-2015 at 03:00 PM.

This is NOT the Elders Quorum: fixing the Misperception of Utah By 5

I certainly think if you're not LDS this site feels more church related than if you are LDS.

It certainly has improved the sports content since I first came over, but I'm sure that perception is still around for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I certainly think if you're not LDS this site feels more church related than if you are LDS.

It certainly has improved the sports content since I first came over, but I'm sure that perception is still around for some.
    We really do need to fix that.

--Yeats

We really do need to fix that.
    In addition to the activity stream thing, I think there are a few other fixes, although it may be a little late at this point.
    1) No more definitive threads in the politics and religion categories. THE believer, THE unbeliever, THE marriage equality, THE today in church, etc threads just serve to perpetuate discord. All these threads need to have either some intrinsic expiration date or an external expiration date imposed.
    2) No external links in the religion and politics threads. If a user reads a compelling article, and can summarize salient points in his/her own words in the length of a post that stands on its own, fine. But repeatedly linking to articles from external feeds is just spamming the board.

I'll share my two pesos worth of opinions.

1. I left ufn because I got tire of reading a bunch of twaddle. Although there are plenty of seemingly great folks there, the zoob-ish, immature behavior of a few made ufn less attractive. And, yes, there are zoob-ish behaviors among all fanbases -- or among all "people".
    2. First, I am a sports fan. Second, I am a Utah fan.
    3. As many have already mentioned, the ufn's outdated format also bothered me. Vbulletin is ok. Candidly, I have no problems "clicking" the various sub-fora; and, I do use the "Activity Stream", as well.
    4. As an actively LDS member, I do find UB5 to have too much religious threads to my liking. I am only here to talk sports -- Utes sports. That said, I don't read those religious threads and are not bothered too much by them.
    5. I avoid internet confrontations because those are useless. I respect others' opinions and am able to agree to disagree. Also, I don't let idiocy drag me down and waste my time.

Spot-on. I'd like to pick a few off, however........
    Careful. All it takes is one angry, overtestosteroned Mr. C to ruin it for everybody.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Careful. All it takes is one angry, overtestosteroned Mr. C to ruin it for everybody.
    He is not on the list of those we'd like to pick off.

--Yeats

Twitter has most of those types fully occupied. (Althiugh I admit it would be nice for Portland Ute to drop in once in a while)

He is not on the list of those we'd like to pick off.
    For what its worth, I remember him saying on twitter some time ago that he wasn't interested in this site because SeattleUte posts here. So thank you, SeattleUte, you are a real, American hero.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    For what its worth, I remember him saying on twitter some time ago that he wasn't interested in this site because SeattleUte posts here. So thank you, SeattleUte, you are a real, American hero.
    We definitely got the better end of that trade deal.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    We definitely got the better end of that trade deal.
    Easily. In any sport, that would be one of the most lopsided trades in history. SeattleUte is a national treasure. Mr. Crimson is a piece of shit.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Easily. In any sport, that would be one of the most lopsided trades in history. SeattleUte is a national treasure. Mr. Crimson is a piece of shit.
    I freaking love Mr Crimson.

But he ain't CatBlue. Nobody is CatBlue.

Everything talked about here is purely cosmetic. You want to lure people to this site, you have to offer something in the form of original content. Everyone has an opinion. You can get that anywhere, and the number of outlets in which people can spout off are too numerous to count.

Credibility is key. I pay more attention to what people like Ma'ake, Utebiquitous and VegasUte say, because they've established over the years that they know what they're talking about, and in the rare instances I disagree with them, I respect them enough to know I have to make a compelling argument saying so instead of popping off with some Fanboy response.

What would really help is having the exclusive views and .02 of former players. It's too bad former BYU LB Brandon Ogletree stopped doing his blog -- that was the best example out there of what a former player can offer to educate today's fans. I'd pay money for anything a former Ute player offered in that regard. We need to reach out to guys like Steve Tate or John Cullen to see what they would be interested in doing.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    What would really help is having the exclusive views and .02 of former players. It's too bad former BYU LB Brandon Ogletree stopped doing his blog -- that was the best example out there of what a former player can offer to educate today's fans. I'd pay money for anything a former Ute player offered in that regard. We need to reach out to guys like Steve Tate or John Cullen to see what they would be interested in doing.
    Nailed it right here! So, as a free site not making money, how could any of these guys be incentivized to post thoughts here?

Another thing that was mentioned was religion politics only being viewable to donors. I don't support having to pay for content (and that doesn't seem to be in the eyes of any of the owners here), so maybe just have it so those sections are not viewable until someone registers or hits 100 posts or something like that?

I don't know if you can do it within the framework of the site, but maybe as you registered if it showed you all the sections of the board and you had to check the ones you want to see.

Unfortunately, this doesn't do much for the stigma of EQ over here, but it would help people that actually visit to not be overwhelmed by it.

Enjoy the bb content

I am more a lurker than a poster. And one thing I enjoy about utah by 5 is their intelligence about Utah bb, my first love. From Manny Hendrix to Little Brandon, this is the site that I respect for bb content. Like socalpat says, I am not here or utefans or utehub for anything more than reading content or finding humor on things. I appreciate the hard work you all do to have a place for us to lurk. Go Utes!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Colonial View Post
    I am more a lurker than a poster. And one thing I enjoy about utah by 5 is their intelligence about Utah bb, my first love. From Manny Hendrix to Little Brandon, this is the site that I respect for bb content. Like socalpat says, I am not here or utefans or utehub for anything more than reading content or finding humor on things. I appreciate the hard work you all do to have a place for us to lurk. Go Utes!
    Welcome!
    don't be shy about contributing your own thoughts.

I am not basketball intelligentsia, but I can't wait for the season.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I'm not as active of a poster here as I would like to be; I think there is a lot of great posters & quality content over here.

I will say this though, I think one thing that hurts this site is exposure. I had no idea it even existed for a long time. I can't even remember how I first heard about it, I think it may have been a poster on utefans.net that mentioned UB5.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    This statement is accurate from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    This statement is accurate from my perspective.
    I guess I'm LDS, but I haven't been practicing for over 20 years. I don't get the churchy impression from this site that so many others claim to have.

But if it's an issue, just dump the religion site entirely, or make it available to donors. There are so many more outlets out there where people can discuss that topic. If it's in any way a defining feature of this site, then the mission of this board has failed in a major way. Again, it's not a problem with me. But UB5 is at a crossroads of sorts with this issue. It can either ignore the criticism, thereby giving religious discussion tacit approval, or it can make a bold step and get rid of it entirely (and maybe bring it back in the future to members who want to pay for such a feature.).

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I guess I'm LDS, but I haven't been practicing for over 20 years. I don't get the churchy impression from this site that so many others claim to have.

But if it's an issue, just dump the religion site entirely, or make it available to donors. There are so many more outlets out there where people can discuss that topic. If it's in any way a defining feature of this site, then the mission of this board has failed in a major way. Again, it's not a problem with me. But UB5 is at a crossroads of sorts with this issue. It can either ignore the criticism, thereby giving religious discussion tacit approval, or it can make a bold step and get rid of it entirely (and maybe bring it back in the future to members who want to pay for such a feature.).
    It's really just a sidelight to the board, IMO, but some people (the ones who made got this place started and made it happen) really enjoy it. I like the idea of making it a feature you have to make some mild affirmative effort to find -- i.e., it doesn't jump out at you when you come here, but you can get to it easily if you want to. U-Ute, can this be done?

--Yeats

So what is our identity?

I feel it is smart, knowledgeable posters that love the Utes but can also discuss other topics with an open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    So what is our identity?

I feel it is smart, knowledgeable posters that love the Utes but can also discuss other topics with an open mind.
    Handsome. You left off handsome. Otherwise, I like it!

--Yeats

Handsome. You left off handsome. Otherwise, I like it!
    But is it accurate?

Which is why I left off "handsome". I'm having a bad hair day.