Mariota Isn't Walking Through That Door But The Utes Are

Top 20 Matchup in Eugene this week.

Time: 5:45 PT (6:45 MT)
    TV: Fox

Polls:
    - Utah 17 (USA Today)/18 (AP)
    - Oregon 13 (both)

Injuries
    Utah: Wilson (shoulder), Dimick (knee). Both expected to play..?

Oregon: Adams (finger) - expected to play.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Top 20 Matchup in Eugene this week.

Time: 5:45 PT (6:45 MT)
    TV: Fox

Polls:
    - Utah 17 (USA Today)/18 (AP)
    - Oregon 13 (both)

Injuries
    Utah: Wilson (shoulder), Dimick (knee). Both expected to play..?

Oregon: Adams (finger) - expected to play.
    I have disconcertingly little about Dimick's status. We could use him Saturday night.

Interesting breakdown of Utah's stats so far this season:

Utah football: One-fourth through the season, numbers inform knowledge of 3-0 Utes

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I am happy that the Utes won and record wise they are where most of us believed they would be at this point in the season, but I am just not that impressed with the play of a number of position groups.

QB - I believed out QB's would be better but did not know whether it would show because of how poor our outside WR group is. Through 3 games, the QB's are who I thought they were.

OL - Perhaps the most disappointing position group. I believe the Utes would have a B+/A- OL and through I would say that they are a C-. The pass blocking has been about a B, but the run blocking has been about a D. I know that averages out to a C, but the OL group has been less than average.

TE/Slot - This group has performed a little better than I thought they would in the pass game, but have been average in run blocking. I thought they would be a C and they have probably been a C+ or B-

WR's - I thought they would be a D and they have not disappointed. They are a D.

Booker - Is a stud. Never has an open hole and always creates something.

DL - I thought they would be an A group and they have probably played a little below that simply because they have not been able to sack the QB.

LB - Paul and Norris have played A level and I figured they would.

DB - I figured this would be a B group, but I would give them a C- so far.

Special Teams - Hackett and Phillips have disappointed a little, 1 fumble and 2 TD's last night. I would put them at a B+ overall.

I just don't know if Utah is strategically capable of beating Oregon. They're vulnerable. The defense is the worst it's been in recent memory, and the offense lacks the pace and QB play of even a Darron Thomas or Jeremiah Masoli, nevermind Mariota. But can Utah capitalize with field position, big plays, and getting off the field on defense? I don't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    I just don't know if Utah is strategically capable of beating Oregon. They're vulnerable. The defense is the worst it's been in recent memory, and the offense lacks the pace and QB play of even a Darron Thomas or Jeremiah Masoli, nevermind Mariota. But can Utah capitalize with field position, big plays, and getting off the field on defense? I don't believe it.
    😐 Probably right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I have disconcertingly little about Dimick's status. We could use him Saturday night.
    Pretty sure the broadcasters mentioned last night that he practiced the last few days. I expect him to start on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Interesting breakdown of Utah's stats so far this season:

Utah football: One-fourth through the season, numbers inform knowledge of 3-0 Utes
    This makes me so sad. 25% of the season already in the books.

so Oregon's QB has a broken finger on his throwing hand? How do you play with that?

LAUte, DevilUte, Redbird, you guys can just shove it. The Utes are ranked no. 17 in the land and Vegas rates them a pick 'em at Oregon. Kyle has got the Utes at the high point of even the most stupid, unreasonable of fans' expectations. We played 3 decent teams in pre-season and handled them, beat or essentially matched the spread, despite the terrible adversity of losing to injury our starting, senior quarterback. We didn't play Arkansas State and Idaho, like USC. Apparently the people who make their living evaluating the Utes regard them a lot higher than you do. So who cares what you say? Did you notice that Washington was just a 5.5 point favorite over Utah State, and Michigan is a 6 point favorite over BYU? I never thought I'd see the day when fans would rather see Chris Hill proven right than the Utes win.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    LAUte, DevilUte, Redbird, you guys can just shove it. The Utes are ranked no. 17 in the land and Vegas rates them a pick 'em at Oregon. Kyle has got the Utes at the high point of even the most stupid, unreasonable of fans' expectations. We played 3 decent teams in pre-season and handled them, beat or essentially matched the spread, despite the terrible adversity of losing to injury our starting, senior quarterback. We didn't play Arkansas State and Idaho, like USC. Apparently the people who make their living evaluating the Utes regard them a lot higher than you do. So who cares what you say? Did you notice that Washington was just a 5.5 point favorite over Utah State, and Michigan is a 6 point favorite over BYU? I never thought I'd see the day when fans would rather see Chris Hill proven right than the Utes win.
    I agree that Utah is absolutely capable of beating Oregon. But you are wrong about them playing decent teams and covering the spread.

Michigan is the only team Utah has played that currently has a winning record.

Utah State's only win came in the season opener (at home) against Southern Utah. And by all accounts they should have lost that game. They were losing all game, and returned a punt for the winning touchdown (their only touchdown of the game) late in the game.

Also, Utah did not cover the spread against Utah State.

I do agree with you that at 3-0 and ranked in the top 20 we have a lot to be excited about. But you had a few facts wrong and that needed to be corrected.
    Last edited by utefan; 09-21-2015 at 02:48 PM.

So who cares what you say?
    Looks like you do. But rest assured: despite my thought crimes I think we might win Saturday and I would love, love, love to see that. Meanwhile I will only sip at the Kool-aid you're chugging.

--Yeats

Very interesting matchup.

I like our D right now, especially against a QB who's new to Oregon's system, I think we'll take away parts of their offense, and on long drives, we can rotate 8-9 DL, rotate LBs, rotate corners. We're equipped to deal with their style.

I'm less concerned with the actual sack count if we get good pressure on the QB. We've shown probably 20+ defensive players in different configurations.

Their OL has to be prepared for everything from Mokofisi-Lotulelei-Tu'ikovolatu-Fanaika, to Taumoepenu-Seni-Tasini-Fitts, and hopefully Dimick. A lot of starter-level players up front to prepare for, and the pressure packages have not been revealed, really much at all.

I think we're ready to throw some curveballs at Vernon Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    I agree that Utah is absolutely capable of beating Oregon. But you are wrong about them playing decent teams and covering the spread.

Michigan is the only team Utah has played that currently has a winning record.

Utah State's only win came in the season opener (at home) against Southern Utah. And by all accounts they should have lost that game. They were losing all game, and returned a point for the winning touchdown (their only touchdown of the game) late in the game.

Also, Utah did not cover the spread against Utah State.

I do agree with you that at 3-0 and ranked in the top 20 we have a lot to be excited about. But you had a few facts wrong and that needed to be corrected.
    Yeah, they're bad sort of like Northern Illinois is a bad team.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

I like our D right now, especially against a QB who's new to Oregon's system, I think we'll take away parts of their offense, and on long drives, we can rotate 8-9 DL, rotate LBs, rotate corners. We're equipped to deal with their style.

I'm less concerned with the actual sack count if we get good pressure on the QB. We've shown probably 20+ defensive players in different configurations.

Their OL has to be prepared for everything from Mokofisi-Lotulelei-Tu'ikovolatu-Fanaika, to Taumoepenu-Seni-Tasini-Fitts, and hopefully Dimick. A lot of starter-level players up front to prepare for, and the pressure packages have not been revealed, really much at all.

Maybe the galling way we gave the game away last year will give us a psychological edge.

Can Adams really play with a broken index finger?

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Maybe the galling way we gave the game away last year will give us a psychological edge.

Can Adams really play with a broken index finger?
    He apparently played the whole Michigan State game with it. Didn't see any of that game, so I have no idea how well he threw the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

Maybe it was because I'm used to seeing Mariota, or maybe it was because he hasn't developed the chemistry with his receivers yet, I was less than impressed by the accuracy of Adams in the Michigan State game.

I think our D can turn him over.

Argh. It was 30-27, Oregon, going into the 4th quarter; should have been 34-23, Utah.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Argh. It was 30-27, Oregon, going into the 4th quarter; should have been 34-23, Utah.
    Not only that, they lost the terrific momentum with the crowd, etc. In the NC game when Ohio State went up 14 and I heard the play by play guy say Oregon hadn't been down 14 points and won since 2011, I felt like shoving my fork through my hand. I think that first Oregon TD last season in some ways was my most painful moment as a Ute fan.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Not only that, they lost the terrific momentum with the crowd, etc. In the NC game when Ohio State went up 14 and I heard the play by play guy say Oregon hadn't been down 14 points and won since 2011, I felt like shoving my fork through my hand. I think that first Oregon TD last season in some ways was my most painful moment as a Ute fan.
    I bet we see that clip a half dozen times during the broadcast...minimum.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I bet we see that clip a half dozen times during the broadcast...minimum.
    I hope Whit shows it to the team a bunch of times this week.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Maybe it was because I'm used to seeing Mariota, or maybe it was because he hasn't developed the chemistry with his receivers yet, I was less than impressed by the accuracy of Adams in the Michigan State game.

I think our D can turn him over.
    With how bad our secondary gets beat occasionally, I hope that inaccuracy continues.
    "We're pretty damn good," -- Coach John Pease

3 Sacks by the D so far this year...we're gonna need that in the first half if we want to keep this thing close.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Adams is a gamer. He reminds me of Jeremiah Masoli. But the index finger accounts for a large portion of the throwing power and control. If he has to wear a brace on it he will lack feel. If he is having pain in it and plays without the brace it will be a problem for him. Long passes downfield will be very difficult for him.

He had a game-winning pass play at Michigan State, and threw the pass short and into the dirt.

I hope we see more of this Saturday night:

https://vine.co/v/ePqjQ5BBJJ6

--Yeats

Oregon opens as a 14 point favorite.

Good.

Whit tends to leverage these things well.

Yeah, they're bad sort of like Northern Illinois is a bad team.
    Northern Illinois barely squeaked out a win against Southern Utah in the closing minutes, at home

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    Northern Illinois barely squeaked out a win against Southern Utah in the closing minutes, at home
    Actually, it was UNLV. Not much difference, though.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

No, it opened as a pick 'em then went to -14 Oregon.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo