Thread: The Drive- 2015 Utes

The Drive- 2015 Utes

Tonight was the PAC-12's season premiere of The Drive featuring the 2015 Utes and Beavers. Who watched and what were your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liked it. Whit didn't know beforehand that he was going to be mic'd up, which makes the video more interesting. I liked the video of the coaches' meeting too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I thought it was well done

The footage makes me appreciate our staff more. I like the way Kyle handles things. What you see is what you get.

Matt Piper said the footage certainly have the impression the Utah is the tough school and OSU is the fun school.

Gary Andersen shows the stress of his career path.

Gionni Paul is a stand up dude.

I loved it. You just don't get this level of access to Utah football. I wish that they had stretched things out a little more and not just had the first episode focus on the first three games. To that end, it makes much more sense to only do one team per year, like what they did with UCLA.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

My favorite part was Whittingham calling the hitch pattern on Thomas's pick-6 against Michigan. They had something they could read to quickly diagnose that. It shows the preparation level Whittingham has.

It was also interesting to see how much Anderson has taken from his time at Utah in terms of team chemistry. There is a lot of same mantras and word usage. They both have their own personality on it of course, but you can see what he has borrowed from Whittingham. It'd be interesting to see behind the scenes with Urban Meyer to see how much of it came from him.

Whittingham is an intense person. It explains our defense.

Great production value. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Banned
    I found the end of the coaches meeting where Whitt was discussing where the team needs improvement to be spot on. It is good to know the team has been focusing on improving the passing game since camp began... A little discouraging to see that we are still not there yet.

We know that we were lacking experienced wide receivers at the beginning of the year. Man I hope Wilson returns for Oregon, at least he gives us a chance to complete passes downfield. The entire offense is better balanced behind Travis.

This episode of the drive made me wonder if Utah has a better shot at recruiting defensive players than offensive ones. Watching A-rod address the quarterback play during the coaches meeting... and realizing he may not be in that job next year, because hardly anyone ever is, is disturbing. We need to establish an offensive identity, Whitt has done this for the defense. We need consistency at the OC job for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I found the end of the coaches meeting where Whitt was discussing where the team needs improvement to be spot on. It is good to know the team has been focusing on improving the passing game since camp began... A little discouraging to see that we are still not there yet.

We know that we were lacking experienced wide receivers at the beginning of the year. Man I hope Wilson returns for Oregon, at least he gives us a chance to complete passes downfield. The entire offense is better balanced behind Travis.

This episode of the drive made me wonder if Utah has a better shot at recruiting defensive players than offensive ones. Watching A-rod address the quarterback play during the coaches meeting... and realizing he may not be in that job next year, because hardly anyone ever is, is disturbing. We need to establish an offensive identity, Whitt has done this for the defense. We need consistency at the OC job for several years.
    It might just be lip service, but I've heard Erickson say he very much enjoys working with A Rod and sees him as a bright young mind in college football. Okay, some of that is definitely lip service, but were I KW, I would just follow whatever DE says about the offensive staff.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    It might just be lip service, but I've heard Erickson say he very much enjoys working with A Rod and sees him as a bright young mind in college football. Okay, some of that is definitely lip service, but were I KW, I would just follow whatever DE says about the offensive staff.
    If he did that D.E. would still be the OC. I think Erickson is content in his role as it is currently. He brings that advice to his role as assistant head coach and I'm with you that he brings experience and knowledge to our team and I'm glad he's here. He is coaching Booker... and Booker is kicking ass.

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-spo...against-oregon

How cool is it that The Drive is following Utah during what is shaping up to be a special season?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    How cool is it that The Drive is following Utah during what is shaping up to be a special season?

They chose wisely.

It is also enlightening to see Gary Andersen. I know a lot of Utah fans want to see him on our sidelines in the future. I am not sold.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    They chose wisely.

It is also enlightening to see Gary Andersen. I know a lot of Utah fans want to see him on our sidelines in the future. I am not sold.
    there was a lot of romance around the idea when Utah seemed to stagnate in 2012 and Andersen had a helluva team in Logan. I think Andersen will have the Beavs looking good by 2017, but I'm a reformed Whit skeptic that thinks we can aim higher if Whitt left for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    They chose wisely.

Kids just love a good candy bar.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Reminiscent to the film crew that followed the 2008 team the whole season. Our guys just don't lose when they're being followed with a camera.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    I call dibs! If that's all it takes I'll quit my job today and follow both the football and basketball teams around with a camera for the rest of my life.
    "We're pretty damn good," -- Coach John Pease

Was there not an episode last week?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Was there not an episode last week?
    Nope, with the bye the week before they skipped a week

I was just a tad bit underwhelmed by The Drive this week. I know they have to split the coverage 50/50, but man Oregon St. is boring and fairly uninspiring to watch. It's not Gary's fault, but man, what a dull group.

As for the Utes, I wish we would've seen a little bit more of the pre-game hype and lead up. Maybe ESPN didn't allow the P12 networks cameras around Gameday, but it would've been nice to see some of the inside work on that, as well as some of the prep that went into stopping Goff. Again, I love having this level of access to the team and I think it makes me like Kyle even more than I already do, it just felt like we got a bit of the short end this week in a week that should've really been focused on us.

Overall good stuff though.

I was just a tad bit underwhelmed by The Drive this week. I know they have to split the coverage 50/50, but man Oregon St. is boring and fairly uninspiring to watch. It's not Gary's fault, but man, what a dull group.

As for the Utes, I wish we would've seen a little bit more of the pre-game hype and lead up. Maybe ESPN didn't allow the P12 networks cameras around Gameday, but it would've been nice to see some of the inside work on that, as well as some of the prep that went into stopping Goff. Again, I love having this level of access to the team and I think it makes me like Kyle even more than I already do, it just felt like we got a bit of the short end this week in a week that should've really been focused on us.

Overall good stuff though.
    I think you didn't see any of the Gameday stuff because it didn't involve the team. Kyle was asked about it in an interview and said other than his interview it didn't affect the team at all.

As for Oregon State, I think you can blame Gary to some degree. Watching the show I keep getting this feeling that The coaches there are trying to be 'nice'. Watching Kalani calmly tell his defense it's OK after they got manhandled again and again seemed weird. There's a lack of intensity from the footage.

I laughed that the team has a coordinated victory dance for the cameras now.

Gary Andersen talks Broncoeeze.

"OK men, when you get knocked down as a big time player, what do you do? Everyone of youse on that sunnabitch sidelines you have to accept the responsibilities of being the top dog. They ask me am I going to take my foot of the pedal for you? Or for me? You got hit in the mouth. You're time is now. You just have to maintain it for four quarters. You get your goals, we put 'em up on the big board, you go get 'em. Now all of the sudden someone hurts you. Lock your minds."

"Last week was Kyle's SC job interview. This week's my Utah interview!!! I love your asses off, now go out there and play to the death. Also, candy bars!!!"

Interesting to see Gary Andersen riding around Salt Lake without a seatbelt on

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Interesting to see Gary Andersen riding around Salt Lake without a seatbelt on

He's a cool cat man...he don't need no seat belt! I did like how he credited Kyle with many of the opportunities he'd had in his career.

I liked this episode a little bit better than the last few. I wish that we'd seem more of the in-game interaction between the players and coaches (like you see on Hard Knocks) but this was still an interesting episode. At least I was somewhat interested in Oregon St.'s prep.

I wonder is if they will highlight Hansen this week. Pretty dramatic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I wonder is if they will highlight Hansen this week. Pretty dramatic stuff.
    I'd love to see more of how the coaches and players interact in the film room.

After having watched The Drive this season, I'm especially impressed how Whitt has a "presence" about him on the field, in the locker room, interviews etc.... Anderson just doesn't have that presence about him. He just doesn't come across as a polished head coach.

If KW were to leave for a bigger program, I don't think I'd be happy with Anderson as his replacement.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    If KW were to leave for a bigger program, I don't think I'd be happy with Anderson as his replacement.
    Too much McBride, not enough Meyer.

--Yeats

I assume that the Drive does not continue through the bowl game, so it is now over.

A couple of observations from the final few episodes:

- This really was a great group of seniors. A few knucklehead moves at times, but guys like Scott, Norris, Aiono, etc. are just great ambassadors of the program, and I'm glad they went out on a winning note vs. the Buffs.

- Watching some of the coaches, Shah and Harding specifically on Senior day really gave me an appreciation for the family atmosphere that KW has created at Utah. I hope we can hang on to them for a long time.

- Over the last few episodes, it became pretty clear to me that we never really got over the Arizona loss. That UCLA game was winnable, and our guys just didn't have it in them for whatever reason. Arizona just took the wind right out of their sales. KW even announced the USC/Oregon score at halftime to try and get them motivated. It just wasn't there. I hope they show up for the bowl game.

- I like having guys like John Pease around the program. I think both he and DE add a lot of value in there experience. I would love to see him take a back seat the way DE has and focus on a position group, while elevating a younger, creative, more energetic coach to be the DC.

- This season showed these guys, particularly the young ones, what it will take to get it done in the Pac 12, and that will be valuable moving forward.

- I would've liked to see more film study/game planning sessions, and more of how Whit runs his meetings, but other than that, no real complaints.

Hopefully we'll get to see this again in the near future.

I assume that the Drive does not continue through the bowl game, so it is now over.

A couple of observations from the final few episodes:

- This really was a great group of seniors. A few knucklehead moves at times, but guys like Scott, Norris, Aiono, etc. are just great ambassadors of the program, and I'm glad they went out on a winning note vs. the Buffs.

- Watching some of the coaches, Shah and Harding specifically on Senior day really gave me an appreciation for the family atmosphere that KW has created at Utah. I hope we can hang on to them for a long time.

- Over the last few episodes, it became pretty clear to me that we never really got over the Arizona loss. That UCLA game was winnable, and our guys just didn't have it in them for whatever reason. Arizona just took the wind right out of their sales. KW even announced the USC/Oregon score at halftime to try and get them motivated. It just wasn't there. I hope they show up for the bowl game.

- I like having guys like John Pease around the program. I think both he and DE add a lot of value in there experience. I would love to see him take a back seat the way DE has and focus on a position group, while elevating a younger, creative, more energetic coach to be the DC.

- This season showed these guys, particularly the young ones, what it will take to get it done in the Pac 12, and that will be valuable moving forward.

- I would've liked to see more film study/game planning sessions, and more of how Whit runs his meetings, but other than that, no real complaints.

Hopefully we'll get to see this again in the near future.
    Good thoughts. I'll add two:

1. Pease is a good coach, but it's a little disconcerting to see him in the locker room. Dude is old. I agree with you that it would be nice to retain him but move to someone younger as D-coordinator.
    2. I love Lotulelei screaming, "LET'S GO." Kills me every time.
    Last edited by Applejack; 12-04-2015 at 09:17 AM.