Thread: What is going on with kickoffs (my guess)

What is going on with kickoffs (my guess)

I've heard talk about kickoffs being short and whatnot, so I figured I'd chime in with my opinion, and see what everyone thinks.

I think I read somewhere that they were trying to tweak Philips' kicking motion up through the Fresno game, then decided it wasn't working out too well, so I write off the first part of the season as a failed experiment.

Last night if I remember right, the first two kickoffs went at least 5 yards into the endzone, but no others made it to the endzone. It seemed obvious that Philips was able to get it deep into the endzone, but maybe not out of the back. Thats fine, that is a long way to kick.

So what was up with the short kicks the rest of the game? To me it looked like they were going for higher (thus shorter) kicks to improve coverage after they got burned on that long return. I don't know much, but maybe someone else does. Even if the kick isn't higher, is it harder to set up a return if the returner has to catch it more in the middle of the receiving formation? There were times their returner was catching it almost even with the next line of guys in front of the returners.

Either way, coverage seemed to improve after they changed to shorter kickoffs. Another big factor was Oregon's returner getting injured.

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    I've heard talk about kickoffs being short and whatnot, so I figured I'd chime in with my opinion, and see what everyone thinks.

I think I read somewhere that they were trying to tweak Philips' kicking motion up through the Fresno game, then decided it wasn't working out too well, so I write off the first part of the season as a failed experiment.

Last night if I remember right, the first two kickoffs went at least 5 yards into the endzone, but no others made it to the endzone. It seemed obvious that Philips was able to get it deep into the endzone, but maybe not out of the back. Thats fine, that is a long way to kick.

So what was up with the short kicks the rest of the game? To me it looked like they were going for higher (thus shorter) kicks to improve coverage after they got burned on that long return. I don't know much, but maybe someone else does. Even if the kick isn't higher, is it harder to set up a return if the returner has to catch it more in the middle of the receiving formation? There were times their returner was catching it almost even with the next line of guys in front of the returners.

Either way, coverage seemed to improve after they changed to shorter kickoffs. Another big factor was Oregon's returner getting injured.
    Kyle said after the game Andy hit the first two like he was supposed to then the struggles with his technique came back. It wasn't intentional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk