Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonny and Bear: Utah vs Cal 2015

Sonny and Bear: Utah vs Cal 2015

Utah plays their first home game in a month on October 10th. Their conference home opener comes against P12N competition for the 4th time in the 5 years they've been a part of the P12, and the 3 previous conference home openers...have not gone well. In fact, Utah is winless in P12 home openers, losing to Washington ('11), USC ('12), Oregon St ('13), and Wazzou ('14). They are 7-11 at RES against the P12.

Utah is 4-5 vs Call all-time, but Utah enjoys a 3-2 edge in the 5 meetings since 2000. These teams split in 2011 and 2012, with the home team winning comfortably both times.

Cal is currently 4-0, with a number next to their name for the first time since November 2009. They have a strong opportunity to rise in the rankings with a home game against Wazzou, while Utah has a bye.

Utes will be wearing those slick throwback uniforms for this one as well.

I remember the Cal game in 2003, Urban's last year and the first year of the MUSS, when the MUSS literally took up a handful of rows...that was back when you could still walk up to the stadium late and get a good seat. My how far we've come.

Goff is coming in as the presumptive #1 QB in the 2016 NFL Draft, so this has an opportunity to be a big time "showcase" game for him.

Plenty to play for, it's going to be a long two weeks!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

I remember the Cal game in 2003, Urban's last year and the first year of the MUSS, when the MUSS literally took up a handful of rows...that was back when you could still walk up to the stadium late and get a good seat. My how far we've come.

Goff is coming in as the presumptive #1 QB in the 2016 NFL Draft, so this has an opportunity to be a big time "showcase" game for him.

I attended that game with a few friends because we got free vouchers at school. We redeemed them at the gate 15 minutes before kickoff and sat on the 34th row in the NW corner. That was the much-anticipated (not really) match-up of future first-round picks Aaron Rodgers (relieving Reggie Robertson in the 1st quarter) and Alex Smith (making his first start).

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    I attended that game with a few friends because we got free vouchers at school. We redeemed them at the gate 15 minutes before kickoff and sat on the 34th row in the NW corner. That was the much-anticipated (not really) match-up of future first-round picks Aaron Rodgers (relieving Reggie Robertson in the 1st quarter) and Alex Smith (making his first start).
    And Smith and Rodgers go at it again tonight. You could make a good documentary about how their careers and team fortunes have risen and dipped since, and it all began with that game in 2003.

You couldn't do that for that game. It set a single-game attendance mark that lasted for over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You couldn't do that for that game. It set a single-game attendance mark that lasted for over a decade.
    Was that not the one on 9/11?

I swear we sat right above the roped off section for the MUSS and right before kick off we got to move up several rows because there were not enough MUSS members at the time.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Per twitter, it's an 8:00 PM, MT kick on ESPN.

Per twitter, it's an 8:00 PM, MT kick on ESPN.
    Assuming Cal beats Washington State this weekend, seems like that's high chances that College Game Day ends up in SLC for Homecoming!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Assuming Cal beats Washington State this weekend, seems like that's high chances that College Game Day ends up in SLC for Homecoming!
    That'd be pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I'm wary of predicting it because that's the same day as Texas/OU and Miami/FSU. It's also Northwestern at Michigan, and if both teams have a number next to their name the novelty of a ranked N'western and Jim Harbaugh may overpower the buzz of Cal and Utah.

IIRC because of walk-up sales. My personal experience was presenting a free voucher 15-20 minutes before kickoff and getting good seats.

I'm wary of predicting it because that's the same day as Texas/OU and Miami/FSU. It's also Northwestern at Michigan, and if both teams have a number next to their name the novelty of a ranked N'western and Jim Harbaugh may overpower the buzz of Cal and Utah.
    There's no way we lose Gameday to a 1-3 (likely 1-4) Texas team that could be coming off a rout at the hands of TCU. Michigan-Michigan State will get the Gameday date the following week. I'm more leery of Arkansas-Alabama than I am Miami-FSU, although the Canes could be ranked if they get past Cincy on Thursday. This much we know -- Utah-Cal is a strong candidate to land Gameday.

Was that not the one on 9/11?

I swear we sat right above the roped off section for the MUSS and right before kick off we got to move up several rows because there were not enough MUSS members at the time.
    T'was on 9/11, but the MUSS was in full swing at that time. Was from Day 1 under Urban.

I think Kyle and Pease will be able to scheme very well against a pretty one-dimensional offense. Goff doesn't scramble (does he?) so perhaps we will see more pressure on him, rather than the very effective stay-in-your lane containment pressure they brought against Oregon.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Why is a 1-4 Arkansas better than a 1-4 Texas?

Utah/Cal or Miami/FSU both look good. What about TCU @ KState if the Wildcats beat Okie State to stay unbeaten or Okie State @ West Va if they both win next week?
    Because of the SEC factor.

Honestly, the best argument against Gameday coming to SLC is that Gameday already has been West, and the WWL can't possibly acknowledge this part of the country more than once per year.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think Kyle and Pease will be able to scheme very well against a pretty one-dimensional offense.
    you say that, but Utah is only 2-2 against Wazzou, who is among the least-balanced teams in the nation since Mike Leach took over. They've given us fits, forcing OT in 2011 and beating us the last two seasons. Jared Goff is the best QB in the conference this year.

you say that, but Utah is only 2-2 against Wazzou, who is among the least-balanced teams in the nation since Mike Leach took over. They've given us fits, forcing OT in 2011 and beating us the last two seasons. Jared Goff is the best QB in the conference this year.
    Which is exactly why Jared Goff scares the shit out of me. Leach has put up big numbers against us with QBs that are half the player of Jake Goff. Cal is going to be a real test for this team. The Utes are the better team, but this is a potential match-up nightmare. I'm glad we had 2 weeks to prep for this game.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Kirk Herbstreet also said Oregon would be able to handle a one dimensional Utah team. How's that working out, Kirk?

T'was on 9/11, but the MUSS was in full swing at that time. Was from Day 1 under Urban.
    Yep. I was in it that year, and we were rocking. It wasn't as crazy as it is now, but it was still pretty big.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Yep. I was in it that year, and we were rocking. It wasn't as crazy as it is now, but it was still pretty big.
    But not too big!

Kirk Herbstreet also said Oregon would be able to handle a one dimensional Utah team. How's that working out, Kirk?
    He is correct. Oregon would have been able to handle a one-dimensional Utah team. However even in the Fresno game with most of the Playbook closed we were a multi-faceted team.

In the Oregon game we were all over the place with the playcalling. And The Lord saw it, and it was good.

Sure, go ahead, burst my bubble.

I do think we have slightly better and healthier personnel in the defensive backfield this year. And Cal isn't Wazzu. So I have that going for me.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

But not too big!
    Yep, lol, you used to be able to come in and just sit wherever. I dont remember a time when there wasn't any good seats available.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Yep, lol, you used to be able to come in and just sit wherever. I dont remember a time when there wasn't any good seats available.
    I should've joined...don't know what I was thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Which is exactly why Jared Goff scares the shit out of me. Leach has put up big numbers against us with QBs that are half the player of Jake Goff. Cal is going to be a real test for this team. The Utes are the better team, but this is a potential match-up nightmare. I'm glad we had 2 weeks to prep for this game.
    This is the matchup that has had me scared all year. I think it is the most difficult game on the schedule. We do best against teams that use the run to setup the pass, and have struggled with teams that just go out and sling the ball. Backup QBs for Fresno and Oregon did have some luck moving the ball with precision passing but made mental mistakes leading to interceptions. I don't think we can count on Goff to make so many mistakes. If we win this game, I'm not sure who can touch us.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    This is the matchup that has had me scared all year. I think it is the most difficult game on the schedule. We do best against teams that use the run to setup the pass, and have struggled with teams that just go out and sling the ball. Backup QBs for Fresno and Oregon did have some luck moving the ball with precision passing but made mental mistakes leading to interceptions. I don't think we can count on Goff to make so many mistakes. If we win this game, I'm not sure who can touch us.
    Well, we'd still have to prove that we can stop Arizona's run game, and USC is still a challenge on the road.

Goes without saying, but we'll want to put some pressure on Goff and make him uncomfortable back there.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    If we win this game, I'm not sure who can touch us.
    Considering the voodoo spell both Arizona schools have over us, that's a big statement to make. Plus, we're 1-3 against USC since joining the conference, and they have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. That will be a very challenging trip.

Considering the voodoo spell both Arizona schools have over us, that's a big statement to make. Plus, we're 1-3 against USC since joining the conference, and they have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. That will be a very challenging trip.
    Nice dose of reality.

Back to Cal: With 2 weeks to prepare and lots of Goff film the Utes at least are in a good position to give it their best shot. I'm hoping that will make the difference.

--Yeats

We have been in the game with USC every year, whereas that hasn't been the case with the Arizona schools. USC is the most talented team we will face, but we play well against their style of football.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

We are not going to be able to sustain this over two months. We are going to have a let down somewhere and play flat, like UA last year. Maybe USC; maybe UA, even UW. UW could be a classic trap game.