Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonny and Bear: Utah vs Cal 2015

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Your response is far too rational. I am not dealing in rationality right now -- I want Gameday at Utah on Oct. 10.
    I would pass on Gameday on Oct. 10 if I was guaranteed its appearance in SLC for a UCLA game that had both teams combining for 1 or fewer losses.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I would pass on Gameday on Oct. 10 if I was guaranteed its appearance in SLC for a UCLA game that had both teams combining for 1 or fewer losses.
    I said stop the rationality!!

(I agree about the UCLA game.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Right. But what are the odds of that happening? Besides, as has been stated, there are a lot of games that day that would likely attract more eye balls, regardless of PAC-12 standings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Right. But what are the odds of that happening? Besides, as has been stated, there are a lot of games that day that would likely attract more eye balls, regardless of PAC-12 standings.

Yeah, I think I was the one who said that. And that's absolutely true. But if Utah and UCLA are both 10-0, Gameday is a lock to come to SLC. I don't think there's ever been a conference matchup where the teams
    combined for a 20-0 mark. What about 19-1? Still likely. No sport allows fans to dream big like college football. Extreme unpredictability is the one thing the college game has over the NFL and I'm gonna embrace it for as long as I can.

My whiz kid nephew, Utah BS in finance and law degree from tds, ran the numbers on the likelihood of an unbeaten match up between UCLA and Utah. Based on ESPN's power index, the probability is only 1.2%. Planets would need to align for it to happen. He also ran numbers on the likelihood of Gameday at Rice Eccles with the two teams undefeated: 110%.

Yeah, I think I was the one who said that. And that's absolutely true. But if Utah and UCLA are both 10-0, Gameday is a lock to come to SLC. I don't think there's ever been a conference matchup where the teams
    combined for a 20-0 mark. What about 19-1? Still likely. No sport allows fans to dream big like college football. Extreme unpredictability is the one thing the college game has over the NFL and I'm gonna embrace it for as long as I can.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Well it's official, game day will be in Salt Lake for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    "We're coming to your city!"

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

So awesome! Wish I could be there in person...

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    This will be the first CGD in the state of Utah I miss. I loved going to the two in SLC and one in Provo.

Utah 7th, Cal 22nd in Coaches Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    Utah 7th, Cal 22nd in Coaches Poll.
    Awesome. Let's knock them out of the poll next week.

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Hopefully someone has thought to invite Ty Jones. I'd hate for him to think SO highly of the BYU-BSU game experience for another week.

Are they actually setting up the set in President's Circle? That is a far better location than the parking lot, especially since the game is 8pm.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Are they actually setting up the set in President's Circle? That is a far better location than the parking lot, especially since the game is 8pm.
    Yes. They're also allowing camping in President's circle and all lots on campus.

Stuff begins at 10AM Friday and goes throughout the day and then of course the big show Saturday.

This will be the first CGD in the state of Utah I miss. I loved going to the two in SLC and one in Provo.

Never gets old

Utah opens -6, and it's up to -7.

Why do they do betting lines like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Yes. They're also allowing camping in President's circle and all lots on campus.

Stuff begins at 10AM Friday and goes throughout the day and then of course the big show Saturday.
    That's great. President's Circle is a much nicer backdrop for the show. Wish I could be there and wander around. Alas, it's fall break and my Ute student daughter will be home, so we'll be hanging out with her in L.A. and watching the game on TV.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Why do they do betting lines like this?
    Pretty vague question there buddy.

Pretty vague question there buddy.
    Sorry, yes it was. From phone in dr. office.

Whey do they do the +/- ?
    They always reference the home team, right? So +3 Utah means Cal by 3. WT$ ?
    For Cal @ Utah, if the line is Utah by 5, it should be Utah +5. If the line is Cal by 3, it should be Utah -3.

This probably goes waaay back to dog racing in the 1930s.

Google searches like this are blocked at work. And I couldn't find anything on wiki....

"Look it up at home" is an acceptable answer.

Highlights from the 2009 Poinsettia Bowl:

Fun to watch old highlight videos with hits that would be a personal foul and possibly an ejection today (like Robert Johnson at 4:50).

For Cal @ Utah, if the line is Utah by 5, it should be Utah +5. If the line is Cal by 3, it should be Utah -3.

Google searches like this are blocked at work. And I couldn't find anything on wiki....

no. Vegas likes to pay the bills, and they want to draw equal action for a line. When they set a line, they're hoping to bring in equal money on either side of the line. When they open a line at "Utah -6", they assume an equal amount of people will bet money on Utah winning by at least 6 points and Cal losing by less than 6 or winning. If a line changes after opening (like Utah moving to -7), it means there's a lot of money coming in on Utah winning by at least 6.

Take a look at the gambling thread and MRD's picks. If he has "Utah -6.5", he has invested money in Utah winning by 7 or more. If he has "Kansas State +5.5", he has invested money in Kansas State losing by less than 6 points or winning.

no. Vegas likes to pay the bills, and they want to draw equal action for a line. When they set a line, they're hoping to bring in equal money on either side of the line. When they open a line at "Utah -6", they assume an equal amount of people will bet money on Utah winning by at least 6 points and Cal losing by less than 6 or winning. If a line changes after opening (like Utah moving to -7), it means there's a lot of money coming in on Utah winning by at least 6.

Take a look at the gambling thread and MRD's picks. If he has "Utah -6.5", he has invested money in Utah winning by 7 or more. If he has "Kansas State +5.5", he has invested money in Kansas State losing by less than 6 points or winning.
    I think he is also asking if they always use the home team as the reference team for the points. eg: Utah +/- 5 when the game is at Utah.

I believe that is the case right? They use the home team as the reference team.

Brian: To clarify, they have to give points otherwise when Utah plays BYU, nobody would ever bet on BYU winning. So they give points to try and get the bettors to split their bets 50/50 between the two teams. That's the only way Vegas can make money because they get a piece of every bet. If they had to pay out 100% of the bets (ie: everyone bets on the heavy favorite who happens to win), they wouldn't be able to cover their payouts.

The +/- has to deal with the points you're getting or laying, not about who's favored.

The +/- has to deal with the points you're getting or laying, not about who's favored.
    for as vague as his initial question, this is just as vague of an answer. Im an idiot when it comes to this stuff, you gotta spell it out for me more!

Highlights from the 2009 Poinsettia Bowl:

Fun to watch old highlight videos with hits that would be a personal foul and possibly an ejection today (like Robert Johnson at 4:50).
    Oh Wynn. What could have been...

Brian, you should be angry that your LDS upbringing has deprived you of requisite learning experiences that would have enabled you to know this and other vital stuff important to a life well lived.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Oh Wynn. What could have been...
    Two thoughts..David Reed is the most underrated player in Utah Football history
    Robert Johnson would have been ejected for targeting three times in that game.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I think he is also asking if they always use the home team as the reference team for the points. eg: Utah +/- 5 when the game is at Utah.

I believe that is the case right? They use the home team as the reference team.

Brian: To clarify, they have to give points otherwise when Utah plays BYU, nobody would ever bet on BYU winning. So they give points to try and get the bettors to split their bets 50/50 between the two teams. That's the only way Vegas can make money because they get a piece of every bet. If they had to pay out 100% of the bets (ie: everyone bets on the heavy favorite who happens to win), they wouldn't be able to cover their payouts.

Yes, I get that Vegas is trying to split the money, I'm just wondering why the +/- thing is reversed. And I can get the home is always referenced, it's the sign of the number that doesn't make sense.

Utah +5 means I'll bet that Utah wins by 5 or more. At least it should.

So, why the reversed signs? Is there history on this? Some obscure early 1930's mafia thing? It better have a good story, or it's just plain stupid.