Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will be called as apostles and when?

Who will be called as apostles and when?

It's been a while since I've posted here. LA Ute invited me to participate again, so here goes...

Family and friends have been thinking out loud quite a bit about the vacancies in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Some are making guesses on who will get the nod, while others just want to sit back and watch it unfold.

It occurs to me that we could see two called on Saturday and perhaps the third will take more time. Who knows? When President Russell M. Nelson was called, he filled the vacancy left by LeGrand Richards. It took more than a year for that calling to happen. There is nothing guaranteeing that all three will be called at once.

There's a nice article on LDS.org where President Nelson reflects on his calling and the timing of it...

https://www.lds.org/church/news/pres...L2-4_&lang=eng

Okay, on to my predictions. Based partly on hunches, and partly on observation, the names that come to my mind are these:

1. Elder Ronald A. Rasband. This one seems to be pretty much a lock. He is one of the seven presidents of the seventy, has been quite active in international projects working side by side with members of the twelve, and gives wonderful talks in conference.

2. Elder L. Whitney Clayton. Same as above.

3. Elder Ulisses Soares. Seasoned general authority from Brazil who just happens to also be a president of the seventy.

What say you???
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

To be honest I am a little torn on whether I should invest any energy into caring about who is called. I would really like to be excited if they call a couple foreign apostles, one Spanish speaking and another from Asia, Africa, or Polynesian. I don't want to be heart broken when they call three white attorneys/business executives. Sorry if that is too critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    To be honest I am a little torn on whether I should invest any energy into caring about who is called. I would really like to be excited if they call a couple foreign apostles, one Spanish speaking and another from Asia, Africa, or Polynesian. I don't want to be heart broken when they call three white attorneys/business executives. Sorry if that is too critical.
    After a little digging, here's a guy who has spent A LOT of energy predicting who will be called. This guy must have a lot of time on his hands.

http://bycommonconsent.com/2015/09/2...rmon-apostles/
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

I'm pulling for Bishop Causse, though I'm not sure how often someone has been plucked from the Presiding Bishopric.

It's probably also safe to say that this will be President Monson's last major stamp that he puts on the church after 50 plus years in leadership.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

They should get with the times and turn it into a reality show. You could vote guys out of the Quorum.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I'm pulling for Bishop Causse, though I'm not sure how often someone has been plucked from the Presiding Bishopric.

It's probably also safe to say that this will be President Monson's last major stamp that he puts on the church after 50 plus years in leadership.
    Elder Hales and Elder Eyring were both in the presiding bishopric. I'm not sure if they went from there directly to apostle.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Recently, it has happened A LOT.

C'mon now. Does anybody really believe Monson is putting his stamp on anything right now? I'm not being rude. I'm pretty sure he's suffering from dimentia and diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted here. LA Ute invited me to participate again, so here goes...

Family and friends have been thinking out loud quite a bit about the vacancies in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Some are making guesses on who will get the nod, while others just want to sit back and watch it unfold.

It occurs to me that we could see two called on Saturday and perhaps the third will take more time. Who knows? When President Russell M. Nelson was called, he filled the vacancy left by LeGrand Richards. It took more than a year for that calling to happen. There is nothing guaranteeing that all three will be called at once.

There's a nice article on LDS.org where President Nelson reflects on his calling and the timing of it...

https://www.lds.org/church/news/pres...L2-4_&lang=eng

Okay, on to my predictions. Based partly on hunches, and partly on observation, the names that come to my mind are these:

1. Elder Ronald A. Rasband. This one seems to be pretty much a lock. He is one of the seven presidents of the seventy, has been quite active in international projects working side by side with members of the twelve, and gives wonderful talks in conference.

2. Elder L. Whitney Clayton. Same as above.

3. Elder Ulisses Soares. Seasoned general authority from Brazil who just happens to also be a president of the seventy.

What say you???
    I think those are plausible picks. I think Elder Clayton in particular is an interesting candidate (and not because he is a U. grad who spent his legal career in Southern Cal). There will be reaction if he is called because he was the guy who oversaw the Prop 8 effort here. I think someone from Latin America may well be called. I hadn't thought of Elder Soares but he's a great choice. So is Elder Rasband. Then again, we may see a surprise. Dallin Oaks was sitting on the Utah Supreme Court when he was called.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think those are plausible picks. I think Elder Clayton in particular is an interesting candidate (and not because he is a U. grad who spent his legal career in Southern Cal). There will be reaction if he is called because he was the guy who oversaw the Prop 8 effort here. I think someone from Latin America may well be called. I hadn't thought of Elder Soares but he's a great choice. So is Elder Rasband. Then again, we may see a surprise. Dallin Oaks was sitting on the Utah Supreme Court when he was called.
    I just hope that if Elder Clayton is called he regularly mentions his former law firm and its fine work product from the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    C'mon now. Does anybody really believe Monson is putting his stamp on anything right now? I'm not being rude. I'm pretty sure he's suffering from dimentia and diabetes.
    Well that I don't know...

I watched Richard G. Scott's funeral when I was working from home the other day. He seemed slimmed down, but very aware and his remarks were on point. It will be interesting to see what level of involvement he has in GC this weekend.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post

I don't give a crap about middle management and even I could come up with 3 names. Should be a breeze for President Monson.

Here we go:

1. Thurl Bailey
    2. Mitt Romney
    3. Dale Murphy

Longshots....

Jon Huntsman, Jr. (we need to lighten this quorum up a bit with a pro-mo)
    Haloti Ngata (everyone stops screwin' with us, immediately!)
    Urban Meyer (I know he isn't LDS but he'd have the quorum overachieving within 2 conferences)
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Urban Meyer (I know he isn't LDS but he'd have the quorum overachieving within 2 conferences)
    He'd make the meetings more lively. I can imagine what "The Pit" would look like for anyone who can't make it.

Ron Rasband.
    James Hamula.
    Edward Dube.

Whitney Clayton will be too much of a lightning rod. Not to mention those LA attorneys tend to be jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    He'd make the meetings more lively. I can imagine what "The Pit" would look like for anyone who can't make it.
    Can just see the GA's running through a wall for him as the come out for the opening of conference. Maybe led by a mascot on a motorcycle, with some pyrotechnics.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Can just see the GA's running through a wall for him as the come out for the opening of conference. Maybe led by a mascot on a motorcycle, with some pyrotechnics.
    That would definitely get me to watch more conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I just hope that if Elder Clayton is called he regularly mentions his former law firm and its fine work product from the podium.
    I don't think he'll mention it. It probably saddens him much to think of how far downhill the place has gone.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Ron Rasband.
    James Hamula.
    Edward Dube.

Whitney Clayton will be too much of a lightning rod. Not to mention those LA attorneys tend to be jerks.
    He's an Orange County lawyer. The percentage of jerks is lower there.

--Yeats

What I never get is how they're can be lawyers in the leadership. I mean Jesus hated lawyers. He always included them with the wicked and the hypocrites. Yet the church with his name on it is run by lawyers.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    What I never get is how they're can be lawyers in the leadership. I mean Jesus hated lawyers. He always included them with the wicked and the hypocrites. Yet the church with his name on it is run by lawyers.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Jesus was just talking about plaintiffs' attorneys. Joseph Smith was just getting to that in his King James translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Jesus was just talking about plaintiffs' attorneys. Joseph Smith was just getting to that in his King James translation.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    They should get with the times and turn it into a reality show. You could vote guys out of the Quorum.
    This sounds like a pretty accurate description of how things worked in the early days.

Can you imagine all the Pope urinal cakes in the Conference Center?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

You could never refer to the Catholic Church by name. It would have to be something like the "church over east" or "church across the ocean."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

after the death of Boyd K Packer who is the Presiding 12 Apostle now?

just looked it up, Russel M Nelson went from 3rd in line to become the next prophet to 1st in a matter of months

You could never refer to the Catholic Church by name. It would have to be something like the "church over east" or "church across the ocean."
    Or maybe he'd draw on some tradition and call it 'The great and abominable church' or something.

Too soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This doesn't really go here, but Ive always thought it would be fun to have a remote control blimp come out in the conference center during the rest hymn of each session and drop something like gift cards to Deseret Book to the most enthusiastic singers. You could also have Cannons that fire "I am (or "I married") an 8-cow woman!" shirts into the crowd.

As for the Apostles, I have no idea. As others have pointed out, these could come from anywhere. Wasn't Elder Bednar the President of BYU-Idaho and a relative unknown when he was called?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    This doesn't really go here, but Ive always thought it would be fun to have a remote control blimp come out in the conference center during the rest hymn of each session and drop something like gift cards to Deseret Book to the most enthusiastic singers. You could also have Cannons that fire "I am (or "I married") an 8-cow woman!" shirts into the crowd.

As for the Apostles, I have no idea. As others have pointed out, these could come from anywhere. Wasn't Elder Bednar the President of BYU-Idaho and a relative unknown when he was called?
    That would be fun.

I posted on another site...the church needs an Adam Schefter type to snoop around HQ and talk to sources and tweet about it. "Report...Ballard out 4-6 weeks with knee sprain." You know, stuff like that.

Conference post-game shows would also be good.

"Let's go to John in Ogden...John go ahead"

"Yeah, I wanted to talk about how some of the hymns hurt people's feelings"

I'm telling you...we could have something here.