Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Exorcising the (sun) devils Utah vs ASU 10/17/15

Exorcising the (sun) devils Utah vs ASU 10/17/15

Let's do this! Beat ASU and their stupid boy band coach

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Game starts at 10pm EST 8pm local on ESPN

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Utah opens at -7.

This is going to be a very tight game. ASU has our number, and our offense still has quite a few kinks to work out. But that defense is swarming, and there's something about this team to this point in the season.

FWIW, the ESPN FPI says Utah has a 74% chance of beating ASU.

Banned
    It is time. We need this f'n monkey off our back. ASU gets beat this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    Utah opens at -7.

This is going to be a very tight game. ASU has our number, and our offense still has quite a few kinks to work out. But that defense is swarming, and there's something about this team to this point in the season.
    At the risk of over-simplifying, I'll say it this way: The seem to know how to win games, even if they have to scracth and claw their way to victory.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

My wishes for the ASU game:

1. That we are comfortably ahead at the end and aren't in a position where we need the defense to bail us out of a nail-biting final series.

2. That if we end up in a close one, and in a situation where we all we need to close out the game is a first down or two, we can get a first down or two.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    It is time. We need this f'n monkey off our back. ASU gets beat this week.
    First ASU's f'n monkey. Then Washington's f'n monkey. No more f'n monkey at the end of this f'n season!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about we combine the two? I'd love to see us up seven points with five minutes left and take the remaining clock driving for a touchdown and putting a decisive victory on the Sun Devils. Is that too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    How about we combine the two? I'd love to see us up seven points with five minutes left and take the remaining clock driving for a touchdown and putting a decisive victory on the Sun Devils. Is that too much to ask?
    Nope. It's a modest proposal if I ever saw one.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    First ASU's f'n monkey. Then Washington's f'n monkey. No more f'n monkey at the end of this f'n season!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Time to spank that monkey!
    Wait. What?...
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

One thing the Cal game showed me is our linebackers are finally fast enough to cover the spread offense.

Paul is amazing. He reminds me of Weddle in that he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. The guy seems like he is everywhere.

The more we win the bigger each game becomes. I have no doubt that this will be a nail biter

This and next week are the two most important weeks in Utah Football Pac 12 membership.

If we win these next two games we have pretty much won the south. *Look talking about playoffs is fun and I know there is a chance. I would prefer to think more about things that are more likely to happen. *That is us winning the south and then having a good chance to beat Stanford to play in the Rose Bowl. *
    Right now we have a 1 game lead on UCLA and ASU and a two game lead on USC and Arizona. *Winning this week probably puts us with a 2 game lead at least on everybody (UCLA is at Stanford on Thursday night).

It is only Monday and I am extremely excited about Saturday nights game.

1st off, Whitt has had the ASU offense figured out the past two season. We held them to 20 in Salt Lake two years ago and then 19 in OT last year. It is the offense that I am extremely worried about, especially after the performance of Travis Wilson last Saturday. After the Oregon game I was asking for forgiveness on the things that criticism that I have given Travis in the past. I even said that to JIC via text. After Saturday night, I am back to wondering what we do have with Travis as well as Roderick. Travis looked bad, he wasn't accurate, wasn't making good decisions and that need to change. It has to change to win these next couple of games.

We just beat a very good Cal team, my goodness is our D good. They need to play the same way the did vs. Cal for us to have a chance. I also don't want to put all the pressure on the D like we did Saturday night. That makes me nervous.
    Last edited by Hot Lunch; 10-12-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Somebody tell me about ASU's defense.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    On a related note, while watching the Bills game, a longtime Bills reporter Tweeted something I never knew ... that Marv Levy took over play-calling duties from his OC when the team was inside the 5-yard line. That's saying something for a team with Jim Kelly at QB calling the plays, and with an all-time great OC in Ted Marchibroda on the team for many of Marv's years.

I think we're all familiar with the notion that the HC makes definitive calls at key points in the game, mostly whether or not to go for it on 4th down. I've gotta wonder if Kyle has absolute authority and takes over everything on offense when we're in a situation like we were late against Cal. We might be on our 8th OC in the last 9 years, but game management with a slim lead in the 4th quarter has been a constant. You couldn't tell we've had that much turnover in OCs by watching Utah under Kyle.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    It is the offense that I am extremely worried about, especially after the performance of Travis Wilson last Saturday.

I am back to wondering what we do have with Travis as well as Roderick. Travis looked bad, he wasn't accurate, wasn't making good decisions and that need to change. It has to change to win these next couple of games.

We just beat a very good Cal team, my goodness is our good. They need to play the same way the did vs. Cal for us to have a chance. I also don't want to put all the pressure on the D like we did Saturday night. That makes me nervous.
    I agree with all of this. Are we not used to this by now? This is Utah football under Kyle. Cal is a good team this year and we fought them using all the tools we have. Defense being our strongest weapon. Nervous is an understatement in my case... but it was great to see one of the best quarterbacks in the NCAA fail against our defense in a classic two minute drill. Kyle will always trust his defense to get it done.

I agree with all of this. Are we not used to this by now? This is Utah football under Kyle. Cal is a good team this year and we fought them using all the tools we have. Defense being our strongest weapon. Nervous is an understatement in my case... but it was great to see one of the best quarterbacks in the NCAA fail against our defense in a classic two minute drill. Kyle will always trust his defense to get it done.
    Excellent point.
    Kyle turned to what he trusted to seal the game.

And, the defense gave up 0 points in the 2nd half outside of the fumble deep in Utah territory.
    Fantastic adjustments.

Yes we are and I just want to get to that next level. We are a dynamic QB away from being a great team. Our defense is great, our Running Back is great, our O line is good but we the consistency at QB is the only thing holding this team back.

Like yourself, it was great to see our D perform like they did vs. a top 5 pic in next's years draft. I am blown away at how good our secondary is. They continue to improve week after week and what they did Saturday night was a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Somebody tell me about ASU's defense.
    It's only one game, but damn did they look good versus UCLA. Blitzing and attacking on seemingly every play. Their front four looked dominant, owning the UCLA O-line which I assume is well regarded. I'm nervous.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Excellent point.
    Kyle turned to what he trusted to seal the game.

And, the defense gave up 0 points in the 2nd half outside of the fumble deep in Utah territory.
    Fantastic adjustments.
    Yes we are and I just want to get to that next level. We are a dynamic QB away from being a great team. Our defense is great, our Running Back is great, our O line is good but we the consistency at QB is the only thing holding this team back.

Like yourself, it was great to see our D perform like they did vs. a top 5 pic in next's years draft. I am blown away at how good our secondary is. They continue to improve week after week and what they did Saturday night was a thing of beauty.
    We all would like to see Travis play every week like he did against Oregon. It's not going to happen though. He doesn't need to be a world beater for this team to be successful. I read a post on this forum (don't remember which thread or poster), but it had an interesting stat that over the last decade or so, it showed that when the Utah quarterback passed at a completion rate (for the season) above 60%... Utah almost always wins (see 2004 and 2008).

Travis just needs to be efficient with the football and not turn it over. Booker is a workhorse, and defense wins championships, the special teams keep performing and we are going to be in a position to win every game.
    Last edited by Devildog; 10-12-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I've gotta wonder if Kyle has absolute authority and takes over everything on offense when we're in a situation like we were late against Cal. We might be on our 8th OC in the last 9 years, but game management with a slim lead in the 4th quarter has been a constant. You couldn't tell we've had that much turnover in OCs by watching Utah under Kyle.
    This is really an excellent question and point. Anyone have any inside info? There have been some reports that Sitake was really tired of the D constantly being put in difficult situations and being expected to pull off a miracle stop again and again. If KW has that authority maybe that's why Kalani blamed him for that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Thus my question: what can we do to jump start the offense when it dies in the 4th? It happens all the time. What are the right plays to get things going again? As a fan, I'm afraid to just try and run, run, run the clock. I'm afraid that's a recipe for a 3 and out. But in those situations, I'm just as afraid to pass, as that seems to usually waste a down without running clock. We've been in this situation many times with TW, and so far very little has worked.
    Another good question. I hope the Ute brain trust is figuring out an answer.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-12-2015 at 01:07 PM.

--Yeats

I was watching on TV, wasn't able to see the play of the WRs.
    TW seemed to be in the pocket a few times for a while looking for someone (hopefully someoneS). We're they getting open? Is it the skill? called routes? Or Cal covered them like unto Domo?

TW seemed to be in the pocket a few times for a while looking for someone (hopefully someoneS). We're they getting open? Is it the skill? called routes? Or Cal covered them like unto Domo?
    I have a hunch they were not getting open, but haven't watched the tape to see if that's true. But even when they were open TW was still not throwing the ball accurately. He had an off night. (I hope it was an off night, and that his play against Oregon was not a happy aberration.)

--Yeats

I wish they would have run some picks as the refs were obviously going to let them play fast and loose.

maybe TW was rusty after the bye, and healing the shoulder up.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    It's only one game, but damn did they look good versus UCLA. Blitzing and attacking on seemingly every play. Their front four looked dominant, owning the UCLA O-line which I assume is well regarded. I'm nervous.
    I like an attacking team. That's what Oregon did and we were able to take advantage of their over-zealousness.

I missed Gameday, so I went back and watched and listened to what the experts said in making their picks. To a man, they all said that the Cal game was going to be won by Defense and special teams. In fact, I think Herbstreet even said that TW isn't going to play as well as he did vs. Oregon, but even so, Utah could still win...and that's pretty much how it played out.

Travis needed to keep the ball a few more times on those read option plays. He would've had some big chunk runs, I think.

I'd also like to see more underneath routes and TE production. We also need our WRs to go beyond the sticks on 3rd and long.

I liked that Wilson took responsibility for the offensive struggles and committed to improving. We haven't seen this level of accountability in the past and I think these guys know the opportunity that sits in front of them and won't allow themselves to play poorly in back to back weeks. At least that's my hope.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Kyle said in his press conference that Cal did a nice job of getting hands on WR's, disrupting the timing of routes.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I missed Gameday, so I went back and watched and listened to what the experts said in making their picks. To a man, they all said that the Cal game was going to be won by Defense and special teams. In fact, I think Herbstreet even said that TW isn't going to play as well as he did vs. Oregon, but even so, Utah could still win...and that's pretty much how it played out.

Travis needed to keep the ball a few more times on those read option plays. He would've had some big chunk runs, I think.

I'd also like to see more underneath routes and TE production. We also need our WRs to go beyond the sticks on 3rd and long.

I liked that Wilson took responsibility for the offensive struggles and committed to improving. We haven't seen this level of accountability in the past and I think these guys know the opportunity that sits in front of them and won't allow themselves to play poorly in back to back weeks. At least that's my hope.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    I wonder how that shoulder is healing. when TW keeps the ball it's like he is anticipating pain; that tells me something is not right with the shoulder. When he runs it, as soon as someone is within 5 feet he pulls up. He should simply slide.

But something tells me that the shoulder doesn't feel right.