Thread: Helping early returned missionaries.

Helping early returned missionaries.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=36874967&nid...s_cid=queue-16

This was an interesting read. I am hopeful that more folks can apply this so that people who do come home early know that they are loved and that its ok.

Came home early from my mission, but that was over 30 years ago..

Whenever someone gave me money I jotted down their name and amount, with the intention of writing thank you letters while out in the field. When I came home, I visited with everyone that donated and returned the money to them. I don't recall anyone giving me a bad time. All were very kind. Although, over the years I've heard my fair share of members bad mouth those that returned early, so I know it's out there. I just didn't experience it myself.

I think people in general, and parents in particular, get worked up over the wrong things.

Don't get worked up over your kid coming home early from a mission, or even not serving a mission. Get worked up over your kid's addiction to drugs.

Don't get worked up over your kid marrying outside the temple. Get worked up over your kid getting abused by a boyfriend/spouse.

Don't get worked up over your kid getting something less than a B in school. Get worked up over your kid being bullied at school.

Don't get worked up over going into a low paying career. Get worked up over extending yourself too far financially.

I know that's a near impossible perspective for a teenager, or a young parent, but, that's the perspective I have in my fifties.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Great post mUUser.

Fantastic perspective mUUser.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Came home early from my mission, but that was over 30 years ago..

Whenever someone gave me money I jotted down their name and amount, with the intention of writing thank you letters while out in the field. When I came home, I visited with everyone that donated and returned the money to them. I don't recall anyone giving me a bad time. All were very kind. Although, over the years I've heard my fair share of members bad mouth those that returned early, so I know it's out there. I just didn't experience it myself.

I think people in general, and parents in particular, get worked up over the wrong things.

Don't get worked up over your kid coming home early from a mission, or even not serving a mission. Get worked up over your kid's addiction to drugs.

Don't get worked up over your kid marrying outside the temple. Get worked up over your kid getting abused by a boyfriend/spouse.

Don't get worked up over your kid getting something less than a B in school. Get worked up over your kid being bullied at school.

Don't get worked up over going into a low paying career. Get worked up over extending yourself too far financially.

I know that's a near impossible perspective for a teenager, or a young parent, but, that's the perspective I have in my fifties.
    Yup. Our kids range from age 29 to 18 and we've become comfortable with the reality that our lives and theirs are marathons, not sprints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Great insight mUUser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk