Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare on Whit Street: #13 Utah vs. Oregon St.

Nightmare on Whit Street: #13 Utah vs. Oregon St.

Turning the page to all Hallows Eve, where the #13 Utes will take on Gary Friggin Andersen and the Oregon St. Beavers.

I anticipate that this will be a bloodbath, it needs to be. Hopefully we'll get a bunch of guys healthy this week because they will be resting well into the 4th quarter.

Gary loves to say "Can't wait to watch you play..." that will once again be tested this week.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 10-26-2015 at 08:08 AM.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

AndersEn.

Perhaps Chase Hansen will get reps at QB this week. Joe Williams should also get reps, after Booker gets 160 yds.

Is it too much to ask for a Utah WR to be the PAC-12 Offensive POW? Covey should/could have been in the running last week if not for the USC LB being their difference-maker on Offense...

On paper, this game is the perfect prescription for getting back on the right track.

I watched most of the CU - Oregon State game, and Beaver fans were definitely giving the team the support a young and struggling team needs... but they still lost.

I know Andersen will be pumping up his team, telling them Utah will be hungover from the SC game, and ripe for an upset....but they still just lost to CU, at home, and the Buffs haven't won a league game since 2013.

This is where our coaches and player leadership need to step up and get the team prepped to dust Oregon State early. We could grind out a win with a sluggish start, and a Win is a Win is a Win.

I'm not looking for style points, but it would be best if we can get the young guys engaged early, get them back on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    On paper, this game is the perfect prescription for getting back on the right track.

I watched most of the CU - Oregon State game, and Beaver fans were definitely giving the team the support a young and struggling team needs... but they still lost.

I know Andersen will be pumping up his team, telling them Utah will be hungover from the SC game, and ripe for an upset....but they still just lost to CU, at home, and the Buffs haven't won a league game since 2013.

This is where our coaches and player leadership need to step up and get the team prepped to dust Oregon State early. We could grind out a win with a sluggish start, and a Win is a Win is a Win.

I'm not looking for style points, but it would be best if we can get the young guys engaged early, get them back on board.
    To the bolded points, it's not and I am. I feel confident the pollsters and CFP committee members feel the same way. This team needs to get its mojo back. Sagarin has this as a 27-point Utah victory. Until we get our second loss, we're still very much alive in the playoff hunt. We need to do what's expected. Grinding out a 10-point win against a team everyone else is killing is acceptable only if you're OK with going to the Alamo Bowl. It's also important to note that Michigan beat this same OSU team by 28 points in Ann Arbor. Additionally, an Arizona team that has been our complete nemesis the last three years beat this OSU team 44-7. We're well enough into the season where we can set reasonable expectations on MOV, and we should crush OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    To the bolded points, it's not and I am. I feel confident the pollsters and CFP committee members feel the same way. This team needs to get its mojo back. Sagarin has this as a 27-point Utah victory. Until we get our second loss, we're still very much alive in the playoff hunt. We need to do what's expected. Grinding out a 10-point win against a team everyone else is killing is acceptable only if you're OK with going to the Alamo Bowl. It's also important to note that Michigan beat this same OSU team by 28 points in Ann Arbor. Additionally, an Arizona team that has been our complete nemesis the last three years beat this OSU team 44-7. We're well enough into the season where we can set reasonable expectations on MOV, and we should crush OSU.
    I tend to agree. I think I'll feel more of the "just get a win" attitude when we play @Wash and @Arizona (especially @Arizona). This week they need to really open it up. Deep shots, get everyone involved, get Booker his yards on 15-20 carries and get him out of the game, throw some looks at their young QB that he's not ready for. It needs to just be 60 minutes of hell for Oregon St.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I would also prefer a blowout to a close win, but I would prefer a close win to a loss. I haven't watched one down of Beaver football this season, but I know OSU is not good. Still, we've had a remarkable ability of playing to the level of any P5 opponent over the past few years.
    No doubt, which is why we need to buck that trend!

Oregon St. has a few WRs that can give us problems, but I don't think their QB can get it to them consistently. If we can get to Kessler a couple of times (and in my opinion he's the best in the league) then we should really have a field day getting to this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I tend to agree. I think I'll feel more of the "just get a win" attitude when we play @Wash and @Arizona (especially @Arizona). This week they need to really open it up. Deep shots, get everyone involved, get Booker his yards on 15-20 carries and get him out of the game, throw some looks at their young QB that he's not ready for. It needs to just be 60 minutes of hell for Oregon St.
    Per Sagarin, Utah would be favored by 3 at Washington and by 7 at Arizona (!?!?!?!?!?!??!). I'm with you -- I'll take wins there any way we can get them in those games. But we need to flex our muscle Saturday and put Gary and Sitake on notice.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Per Sagarin, Utah would be favored by 3 at Washington and by 7 at Arizona (!?!?!?!?!?!??!). I'm with you -- I'll take wins there any way we can get them in those games. But we need to flex our muscle Saturday and put Gary and Sitake on notice.
    Washington is another one that we should win comfortably. Oh sure, they have a nice defense, but their QB should give us the ball a few times too. Still, I'll take those wins however they come.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    UW beat USC, so they are at least dangerous. It's hard to count on TOs.
    No doubt. It would be nice to see us respond from this loss by thumping a couple of teams, starting with the Beavers!

This Utah team needs to remind itself how dominating they can be. This Saturday's game is the perfect opportunity. Sitake knows Travis Wilson well and will have something cooked up to bother Travis. It doesn't look like OSU has the athletes to pull that off but it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Oh, and I hope Noah Togiai has a perfectly horrible game against us.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

A lot of familiar names on the OSU staff. Andersen and Sitake are obvious, but Chad Kauha'aha'a, Ilaisa Tuiaki, Derrick Odum, and Evan Simon are all former Utah staffers. Kamaron Yancy, a former Utah recruit, is a grad assistant on defense. Dave Baldwin is the OC.

I watched the end of the osu/cu game after coming home from an outing to have my fingernails plucked. Osu is a total mess on offense: young qb (who is not good), offensive line issues, no direction. But I think they are starting , barely, to buy into what sitake is selling. It was only the buffs, but they still held in key situations.

OSU's qb is an athlete and has a lot of raw talent. But he is very young and inexperienced. He may be a very good qb by the time he graduates but not this year. Right now he is Kendal Thompson without the arm and without the strength.

We need to put on a show, Oh-fensively. We need to get somebody involved, anybody who is willing to make plays. Covey, Booker, and the O line are doing well. But we need somebody else to step up and be a playmaker.

This is the last game where we can expect to put up gaudy numbers on offense. May as well make the best use of things, and maybe get some playing time for underclassmen.

OSU is very young and inexperienced, and we need a morale booster.

Nightmare on Whit Street: #13 Utah vs. Oregon St.

My Ute Fan PTSD is so active right now that I can't be totally confident about even this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-27-2015 at 05:11 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Banned
    I might be wrong, but doesn't Kyle consider Gary a friend? I know this is business... but I don't see Kyle hangin' 60 on Gary here.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    OSU's qb is an athlete and has a lot of raw talent. But he is very young and inexperienced. He may be a very good qb by the time he graduates but not this year. Right now he is Kendal Thompson without the arm and without the strength.

We need to put on a show, Oh-fensively. We need to get somebody involved, anybody who is willing to make plays. Covey, Booker, and the O line are doing well. But we need somebody else to step up and be a playmaker.

This is the last game where we can expect to put up gaudy numbers on offense. May as well make the best use of things, and maybe get some playing time for underclassmen.

OSU is very young and inexperienced, and we need a morale booster.
    Tyrone Smith was shut out of the USC game reception-wise, and Singleton has three receptions in the last two games. We need to get one or both of those guys going.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I might be wrong, but doesn't Kyle consider Gary a friend?
    I dunno, what category does 'Just Friends' Spooning fall in?

This quote fits the Halloween theme:

Gionni Paul, looking at OSU: “We believe we gonna eat them quarterbacks alive. They haven't faced pressure like University of Utah.”
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

line opened at Utah -21.5, moved to -23.5. O/U of 55.5.

Captains called a players only meeting today to discuss moving on from USC and focusing on the game ahead.

O'Connell noted today that Utah has laid an egg against inferior competition once during every season in the PAC 12. I hope they come out breathing fire this Saturday. That is what they need to do.

--Yeats

The way the Utes respond this Saturday will tell me a lot about the character and resolve of the players. I hope for a dominating performance. I would not at all be surprised to see Oregon St. come out with some junk defense like Arizona St. runs with a lot of guys moving around and blitzing. They have nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    A lot of familiar names on the OSU staff. Andersen and Sitake are obvious, but Chad Kauha'aha'a, Ilaisa Tuiaki, Derrick Odum, and Evan Simon are all former Utah staffers. Kamaron Yancy, a former Utah recruit, is a grad assistant on defense. Dave Baldwin is the OC.
    You forgot Gary Crowton!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    My Ute Fan PTSD is so active right now that I can't event be totally confident about this game.

That's because you remember that I have tickets to this game and have horrible game attendance history. I will say that that bit gave me a tiny bit of silver lining when I considered the low likelihood of playing two crappy games in a row.

Defensively, the Beavs are struggling, especially with all the packages Kalani "I can't dumb the defense down any more!" Sitake likes to run. I also think they'll move around a ton and try to disguise what they're doing, because if they simply play straight-up, they'll get torched. If Travis gets the protection and makes good reads, we should be able to roll.

Offensively, they run 2 QBs - Seth Collins is athletic, a decent passer, and has gotten most of the snaps this year, but he's gotten rocked. Nick Mitchell is a more typical drop-back QB who throws the ball better, a poor man's Mannion. They have a couple of really nice WRs, Villamin #13 who is big, fast and talented. He was probably their best offensive player vs us last year. Bolden #6 is smaller, but an elite athlete who has been up & down this year. He gets open but has dropped some passes. They announced their starting LT is out for the year. Storm Woods is back at RB, but he's been banged up a bit.

We need to smother their QBs, and keep Villamin and Bolden from getting catches and confidence.

The CU / OSU game was a couple of mediocre teams where it looked like nobody wanted to take the game over. Both kickers missed several FGs.

Does anyone know how Norris is doing? I guess if he needs time to heal, this weekend is a good time to rest him.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Offensively, they run 2 QBs - Seth Collins is athletic, a decent passer, and has gotten most of the snaps this year, but he's gotten rocked. Nick Mitchell is a more typical drop-back QB who throws the ball better, a poor man's Mannion. They have a couple of really nice WRs, Villamin #13 who is big, fast and talented. He was probably their best offensive player vs us last year. Bolden #6 is smaller, but an elite athlete who has been up & down this year. He gets open but has dropped some passes. They announced their starting LT is out for the year. Storm Woods is back at RB, but he's been banged up a bit.
    A well-below poverty level man. Mitchell played the fourth quarter of Saturday's "game." He did not look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    A well-below poverty level man. Mitchell played the fourth quarter of Saturday's "game." He did not look good.
    Funny enough, I first read it as "a poor man's (Conner) Manning." Probably not that extreme.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I thought that the frowny faced U from earlier this week was appropriate.

That one works. We will feast on the darkness and use it to destroy our enemies!