Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare on Whit Street: #13 Utah vs. Oregon St.

My meds are kicking in. I feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Been out trick or treating with the kid. Can't say I'm thrilled with the score.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

If our lead holds, after this game we will have won as many games as some of our most knowledgable posters predicted we'd win all season. I recklessly thought we'd win eight.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Banned
    Hard to get pumped up to play the worst team in the conference. Still, the Ute offense looks lame.

27-12 already looks lackluster. I hope we stop them on this last drive.

--Yeats

One question...Why did we call timeout so we could punt at the end of the half?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Wasn't Dave Baldwin at CSU last few years? I wonder how much he has to do with McElwain getting the Florida job. I think he called a good game tonight.

Nightmare on Whit Street: #13 Utah vs. Oregon St.

The curse is broken! (Unless my curse is against the spread.)

Super lame game. JBH.

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 10-31-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Ugh... It was hard to stay excited through that.
    I don't know what else to say....

Watched it mostly in fast forward, which seemed like the right thing to do.

44 carries to 17 passes makes me think that at some point, they just wanted to get through this one and get out.

2 straight games without a takeaway is a bit concerning.

Hackett averaged 54 yards per punt. That's not at all concerning.

7-1, 4-1.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Watched it mostly in fast forward, which seemed like the right thing to do.

44 carries to 17 passes makes me think that at some point, they just wanted to get through this one and get out.

2 straight games without a takeaway is a bit concerning.

Hackett averaged 54 yards per punt. That's not at all concerning.

7-1, 4-1.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Wilson was 14-17. Lots of underneath stuff but he aired it out a bit too. I also thought he ran well in the 1st & 4th quarters. Also, I was impressed with the 3rd down conversions in the 4th.

I thought that OSU QB looked great. Kid has a bright future.
    The Beavers blocked well too - tough to get pressure. The defense looked vulnerable at times & couldn't get off the field.

I am not surprised by the score. This OSU team is improving and you know that Gary A & Benedict Arnold Sitake wanted this one pretty bad.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Kyle said after the game they would sit down as a staff and figure out why we didn't throw more especially early.

He said he felt OSU was selling out on the run and we didn't take advantage of that with passing

His main theme was our offense is efficient but we're lacking consistency

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Wilson was 14-17. Lots of underneath stuff but he aired it out a bit too. I also thought he ran well in the 1st & 4th quarters. Also, I was impressed with the 3rd down conversions in the 4th.

I thought that OSU QB looked great. Kid has a bright future.
    The Beavers blocked well too - tough to get pressure. The defense looked vulnerable at times & couldn't get off the field.

I am not surprised by the score. This OSU team is improving and you know that Gary A & Benedict Arnold Sitake wanted this one pretty bad.
    Well said. They also know us pretty well. This game had me spooked. I'm very happy with this 15 point win.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Well said. They also know us pretty well. This game had me spooked. I'm very happy with this 15 point win.
    Of course you are. Being a douchebag is automatic with you. They are the worst team in the PAC 12 without question, we should have done better.

Banned
    Why for fucks sake can we not throw/complete a G.D. downfield pass?

These comments seem a little uncharacteristic of Kyle. Not the normal "one game at a time" coach-speak. Dare I say, he sounds optimistic?

"Were you impressed by that," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham asked the media at the start of his press conference. "... Bottom line is that we're 7-1 and we're headed to Seattle with sole possession of first place in the Pac-12 South.
    "I'm very interested in the College Playoff Rankings. That's what it's all about. The other rankings are just window dressing for the fans and the media. We very, very interested to see where we're at."
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Why for fucks sake can we not throw/complete a G.D. downfield pass?
    I counted 7 complete passes for more than 10 yards, including passes for 39, 37, 26, and 25. And one for about 25 that was incomplete but drew a PI.

Intersting that our first drive went 12 plays for 75 yards and a TD, and all 12 plays were rushing plays.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We had zero the and outs and zero turnovers.

Who drew the pi? I think Kenny's steak ended last night.
    T. Smith

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

The coaches know what everyone in the stands knows that Wilson is 1) the best we have at QB & 2) that he is average--not great & usually not horrible. He just is not very quick physically or mentally--he can't check down to open receivers--he locks in & either throws it there or tries to run. So they get ahead & don't want him to screw up so they drag the game out (take time off the clock) by using a huddle & running plays.
    Look at the end of the half---they throw sideways on that horribly slow bubble screen & then almost get Singleton killed by a short route right in front of a defender because they are afraid he will make a mistake. They want to go for it on 4th down with 18 seconds left, so they call time out, but then get scared he might screw up and punt.

Finally in 4th quarter they realize we might not be able to just sit on the lead---which has taken the crowd out of the game, so they go to play action on 1st down & get big gains. But only when forced to use that approach.

Chase Hanson sounded intelligent in the post game interview--he has picked up safety quickly. Hope that is a good sign.

And for a final vent---Bubba Poole is a team guy that they want to get on the field, so he can run in motion & when the timing is right ( a big if), be a diversion, but when this year has he been able to run a route downfield & get open? When he is in we run the ball, when he is out we might pass. Since I can see that from the stands---probably every D coordinator can too.?

Hope we get a split on the road--but not optimistic about Washington game.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    The coaches know what everyone in the stands knows that Wilson is 1) the best we have at QB & 2) that he is average--not great & usually not horrible. He just is not very quick physically or mentally--he can't check down to open receivers--he locks in & either throws it there or tries to run. So they get ahead & don't want him to screw up so they drag the game out (take time off the clock) by using a huddle & running plays.
    Look at the end of the half---they throw sideways on that horribly slow bubble screen & then almost get Singleton killed by a short route right in front of a defender because they are afraid he will make a mistake. They want to go for it on 4th down with 18 seconds left, so they call time out, but then get scared he might screw up and punt.

Finally in 4th quarter they realize we might not be able to just sit on the lead---which has taken the crowd out of the game, so they go to play action on 1st down & get big gains. But only when forced to use that approach.

Chase Hanson sounded intelligent in the post game interview--he has picked up safety quickly. Hope that is a good sign.

And for a final vent---Bubba Poole is a team guy that they want to get on the field, so he can run in motion & when the timing is right ( a big if), be a diversion, but when this year has he been able to run a route downfield & get open? When he is in we run the ball, when he is out we might pass. Since I can see that from the stands---probably every D coordinator can too.?

My brother told a story last night about the USC game. He attended and sat with the parents and U administrators and former players. He said that when Travis threw the first interception, the collective reaction was not just "what was he thinking," but "OMG its over," because everyone knew that when TW makes a mistake like that he goes into a death spiral, it ruins him for the rest of the game and he never comes out of it.

You may be on to something. The offensive play calling that seems hard to understand probably has something to do with the OCs' well-founded lack of confidence in Wilson. Putting it another way, they want him to succeed and want to avoid putting him in situations where he tends not to do well. This time he was 14-17, no picks, just under 200 yards, some nice running yardage. A decent game for him. But you're right, he's an average QB. The coaching staff has done a great job of working with the players it has to win games. ("You go to war with the army you have.") The consistency Kyle wants is what is missing.

I wonder how we'll do against Washington. The next three games will be interesting tests. Then we'll see if we can beat Colorado by more than a touchdown. We could go 4-0, 3-1, or 2-2. Let's get all 4!

--Yeats

After the first drive, where we threw no passes, Oregon State stepped up to counter the run. On the second drive, some really nice play calling, beautiful throw by Travis to Handley for the TD, then the Beavs woke up and we got lazy. We played like we knew they were the worst team in the league.

Disappointed to see how badly Bolden gashed us, especially on the fly sweep.

We'll definitely get up and be focused at Washington.

UW isn't as good as their score indicated, and Arizona isn't as bad as the score indicated, but 49-3?

The Arizona Screamers (Rich Rod and Graham) are both on a serious dive this year. I was looking for us to claw up the PAC-12 South ladder vs one of them this year, but passing both of them seems a good possibility.

CU is a better team than Oregon State - I'm guessing it will be a race in the South down to the last game.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 11-01-2015 at 08:12 AM.

This is Seahawks football. A quarterback who can't look off receivers, too many sacks and ints, stall ball throughout the game. With a great defense and a great running game they came a play from winning two Super Bowls despite such deficiencies.

Our defense needs to get to the Huskies' true freshman qb and rattle him. We need to devour their offense. I think if we win it will be something like 18-14 unless we can get some good short fields and turnovers and big special teams plays. If they get such things we're dead! A Chris Peterson-coached team is always scary to me.

Guys, sorry. It's never going to be easy for the Utes in this conference.

I told my wife before last night's game that that Utes -26 spread was beyond ridiculous, that this is something I actually KNOW, and we should gamble everything against that spread. As usual, she didn't listen to me. Too bad.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Old Standing,
    While I agree with everything you've said I would add a big positive from last night regarding Travis. In at least two of his chunk passes he checked out of what was called and made a terrific call. The Covey pass was a play change as was the Smith catch on the last scoring drive of the game - the field goal. I get frustrated at times with his limitations but appreciate senior experience coming into play a time or two in a game.

A few thoughts from my first RES experience since Colorado '11.

Crowd. They needed to be passing out Monsters or something as people entered the stadium because RES was suffering from serious sugar coma. Even after the first two scoring drives, everyone was sleep walking through the game. That seemed to spread across the field like a two year old with influenza.

Norris. It was great to have Norris back. Hopefully the week off is enough to get Dimick back to 100%. Seems like we really missed him on the edge. Fitts did a great job filling in for him earlier when he was out with the knee, but I honestly don't even remember seeing anything from him until the last few minutes of the game.

Travis looked good throwing it down field yesterday. He probably should have had a pass picked off in very similar fashion as last week. A throw inside the hashes that the LB tipped up and had it drop right in front of him, had he seen it. My wife thinks that the throw to Covey would have been a TD, had I not stood up and yelled "Covey's wide open!" just before the throw.

Booker had a tough night. It amazes me how resilient that kid is. It's crazy how unproductive any other RB has been for us this year. Not that any of them have had much of a chance to succeed. Makes for a promising offense next year. Why give SUU any scouting film, that's what I say!

The bubble screens need to stop. At least to anyone besides Covey.

The play that accidentally got hiked into Bubba Poole was a perfect summary of his season. Well, except that he turned it into two yards.

I thought that the Beaver QB that was a good runner stayed back in Corvallis?

I don't know why more people don't have tickets on the 50 yard line, six rows up. That's a fine way to watch a ball game. Even an ugly one.

The bike cabbies along Guardsmen Way are a brilliant. Until they try and charge double after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You may be on to something. The offensive play calling that seems hard to understand probably has something to do with the OCs' well-founded lack of confidence in Wilson. Putting it another way, they want him to succeed and want to avoid putting him in situations where he tends not to do well. This time he was 14-17, no picks, just under 200 yards, some nice running yardage. A decent game for him. But you're right, he's an average QB. The coaching staff has done a great job of working with the players it has to win games. ("You go to war with the army you have.") The consistency Kyle wants is what is missing.

I wonder how we'll do against Washington. The next three games will be interesting tests. Then we'll see if we can beat Colorado by more than a touchdown. We could go 4-0, 3-1, or 2-2. Let's get all 4!
    It is not a good sign for this team if Donald rumsfeld quotations are apropos

By the way what does it say about Mike Runge that he did not know that Fitts and singleton both wear 11. How many catches did Fitts have anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Guys, sorry. It's never going to be easy for the Utes in this conference.
    Truth.

I would rank our remaining games, in terms of difficulty, as Washington, UCLA, Arizona, Colorado. We could win or lose any of the last four.

If we go 4-0, it would be the best year in the history of the U. 3-1 is still an insanely great year. 2-2 would be beyond what anyone here predicted before the season. 1-3 would give us back-to-back winning seasons in the PAC.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    By the way what does it say about Mike Runge that he did not know that Fitts and singleton both wear 11. How many catches did Fitts have anyway.
    That's who the PA guy is! I couldn't put my finger on it.

Two more thoughts. The Costa Vida wave?! Oh my. Not quite as embarrassing as how into it the MUSS was.

During one of the time outs, they pulled some poor sap out of the audience to try and kick a 30 yard field goal so that everyone in the crowd could win a free hair cut at participating Great Clips. I was only paying half attention, but it seemed the kick hit one of the uprights before bouncing in. At that point the poor sap took off his helmet revealing his true identity of Louie Sakoda. I couldn't help but wonder if they would have still revealed his identity had he missed the kick.

I'll post a picture of my new hair cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    A few thoughts from my first RES experience since Colorado '11.

Crowd. They needed to be passing out Monsters or something as people entered the stadium because RES was suffering from serious sugar coma. Even after the first two scoring drives, everyone was sleep walking through the game. That seemed to spread across the field like a two year old with influenza.
    I have to think that the crowd last night was not the normal crowd. Too many of us with kids stayed home for Halloween festivities and sold/gave our tickets.