Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to do About ISIS?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    It sure is a good thing our foreign policy (with assistance from England, Germany, France, Russia, and all the IAEA countries) forced Iran to export all of their enriched uranium and to destroy 2/3 of their centrifuges.
    Yes it is.

So they are testing multi-stage rockets because... Well let's just trust it is what they say it is for, not like they've ever lied in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they are lying and actually put nuclear weapons on that that one rocket and launched it at Tel Aviv, Israel would simply push a few buttons and destroy the entire country of Iran 50 times over in less than 15 min. Iranians are not that stupid, and they know Netanyahu is more than just crazy enough to actually launch against them.

Back to my original post today, it appears that Russia simply wanted to clear away some of Assad's enemies. I don't know what effect that will have in the region, but I expect a Republican president would go out of his way to put boots on the ground in that region. And that is the last thing we need to do right now.

Nevermind, redacted. Or as Richard Nixon would say, "<expletive deleted>."
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 03-15-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Nevermind, redacted. Or as Richard Nixon would say, "<expletive deleted>."
    Did you even read the article you posted? Because it doesn't seem as though you read the article. Which you posted.

Did you even read the article you posted? Because it doesn't seem as though you read the article. Which you posted.
    Yes, but I decided I really was bored 'discussing' it with you so I redacted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Yes, but I decided I really was bored 'discussing' it with you so I redacted it.

I couldn't tell from your Twitter-style posts whether you really understood any of the issues. No worries.

Great speech by Utah's Lt. Governor at last night's vigil -- at about 38:00.

https://medium.com/@coxsp/tribute-to...b3f#.ymcfy9ppz

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This is a fine piece of writing and very balanced, I think:

Banning Guns and Muslims Isn’t the Answer to Orlando

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--Yeats

An unusually interesting discussion:

--Yeats

Meanwhile, Iraqi forces have run ISIS out of Fallujah, which is certainly notable. It seems the Iraqis may be starting to better grasp the "you better stick together and defend yourselves, because the US won't be there to rescue you indefinitely" concept. I'll take it!

As far as ISIS instructing lone wolf attackers, to prevent that would require the Edward Snowden all-stars at the NSA to step up their games, and deeper, more systematic monitoring of US citizens, and possibly limiting the firepower that any given wife-beater can assemble. In other words, the "thoughts and prayers" inaction will prevail, especially since football season is coming up.

I would give a higher chance to Trump moving into Buckingham Palace, and giving tips to Her Royal Highness, Queen Elizabeth II, on how to be more "hot", like Ivanka.

You know, on further reflection, this idea has some merit, as it would get The Donald out of America, and distract the British from the political chaos and financial instability they've unleashed upon themselves, and who knows, maybe QE might start chasing Justin Bieber. You just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    An unusually interesting discussion:

Bill Maher's racism and hate is just framed in a different way, he isn't much different from Trump in many ways. I find his rhetoric against Islam and the fact it is tolerated chilling.

I know you well enough to understand 'intent'. I haven't declare victory (discussions aren't contests with me anyway) and I redacted what I said because frankly I wanted to disengage from the childishness, at least on my part. Apparently you can't accept that which is fine. I am not insulted either, just bored. Let it go.

I don't care one way or another. I just wondered how to reach the conclusion you asserted.

NBD

I don't care one way or another. I just wondered how to reach the conclusion you asserted.

NBD
    Lol - okay you want to talk - this feels like when my wife wants to talk and it won't go away until we do.

Which conclusion? I've reviewed my posts recently.

First assertion: Putin is playing US Foreign Policy like a fiddle.

I'll admit this is factually incorrect. He can't be doing that because most experts don't know what our foreign policy is (LA has posted a few articles to that tune).

I don't really have an interest in reminding you all that has happened in Syria but we can start with the pretend red line and end with the power vacuum now created by the Russian exit. You are familiar enough with the Middle East to know of the usual outcome with a power vacuum. We've already committed to not put boots on the ground in a variety of Middle East incidents (and while I'm not saying we SHOULD I still don't understand why you would ever tell your enemy what you will or will not do).

You then stated that apparently US foreign policy was working. Thus came my second assertion that it apparently was.

I was joking mostly because at that very moment were articles coming out from virtually every news source about Iran testing intercontinental missiles. There is a debate as to whether that violates our current agreement (but little doubt it violates other previous agreements) but obviously none of our allies are happy about it. This article of course ends with an Iranian authority mimicking my 5 year old who has stolen her sisters toy and denies it by saying, "What toy? How could I have taken her toy when I don't have that toy and you probably just lost that toy..."

So after you stated it was a good thing they had nearly no nuclear capability because of our agreement I agreed but stated in an attempt to be humorous that I trusted why they were testing a system to launch 'satellites' you know for fun or whatever, because it isn't like they've ever lied to us in the past. That was my third assertion.

You retorted that Iran would be stupid to launch a missile at Israel because Israel would bury them 50x over.

But we all know that isn't the reason that Iran wants a nuclear weapon and I also noted that we aren't exactly dealing with stable and rational folk here.

But then I went and redacted that because frankly it was silly to discuss any further my general disagreement with our current free form foreign policy. You should also know that my disagreement with current foreign policy isn't an endorsement of previous foreign policy either. If that region is an indication of anything it is that our foreign policy or lack thereof has resulted in the following years and decades of pain.

So going back to Syria, it benefits Russia a great deal to have Assad in power and as you mentioned their goals are not the same as ours. Their withdrawal essential leaves us holding the bag now and has painted us in a bit of a corner. Allowing Assad to remain is leaving a madman, who you personally equated to Pol Pot, in power. Supporting opposition or putting boots on the ground will be a quagmire ala Iraq with no guarantee things will be better. That is my definition of Putin playing us like a fiddle.

Iran may not be in technical violation of our current agreement but in my business we would say that isn't an 'act of good faith'. Forgive me for not trusting a country that also claims they have no homosexuals.

I never really spoke about the current progress with ISIS. Kudos for killing their current head and drying up their resources. Further kudos for keeping it largely regional and mostly out of our country for now. I won't put up the 'Mission Accomplished' banner just yet as we don't know who might step up or what equally or more dangerous groups might come from the fractures. I will also note that the vacuum of peer in Iraq resulted in ISIS (and yes I know the pullout was Bush's plan too) and I fear the same will happen in Syria.

This is of course all in a nutshell. And just my faulty opinion too. It will be easy for you to pick apart now which I hope gives you the relief for that itch you seem to relentlessly need to scratch.

I apologize and you can see now why I wanted to stop discussing it. And that'll be the end of my participation on the matter.

I'll just remind you that I voted for Obama, so I get to complain about him too. It is disheartening to realize that the past 16 years is going to likely be followed by at least 8 more.

A long but really interesting read from The Atlantic:

What ISIS Really Wants

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-wants/384980/

--Yeats

A balanced critique of both right and left:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...3e7_story.html

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

--Yeats

I'm not sure what the point of the article is. It seems to be saying "he didn't use an assault rifle so a ban on assault rifles wouldn't have affected Matten's purchasing habits". While true that makes the case that any ban should reach down to any semi-automatic large capacity rifle.

I think this town hall discussion by President Obama makes a salient point about the problems with any legislation about guns.

https://twitter.com/patrick4ont/stat...29536469082112

This is Al Qaeda, not ISIS, but it is an interesting wrinkle:

Al Qaeda urges lone wolves to target whites, to avoid 'hate crime' label

--Yeats

People need to quit caring about the firing mechanism. Even a semi auto rifle can be fired very quickly, 30 rounds in several seconds

It's the muzzle velocity of a rifle that makes it deadly. Rifle rounds go right through most law enforcement vests, through car doors, walls etc. And a rifle round does much more damage to a human body.

"After 9/11 and the Boston Bombings, Americans grieved together and comforted each other. They resolved to fight their attackers as one nation. Insofar as there was partisan dissension, it was mostly contained to cranks on either side. But the attacks at San Bernardino and Orlando have yielded an altogether different response, dominated by hostility, mistrust, and outrageous partisan attacks. Part of this is because the latter two attacks took place during a hotly-contested election season that has brought fevered populism to the fore on both sides of the aisle. But perhaps the most important reason Americans have been divided, rather than united, in the face of terror over the last year is simply because the terrorists elected to kill their victims with bullets. If Omar Mateen had planted Tsarnaev-style pressure-cooker bombs in the crowded Pulse nightclub on Saturday night, he may well have claimed just as many casualties. But the attack would not have immediately set off a political firestorm over gun control.

"Guns occupy a critical space in America’s increasingly acerbic culture wars, a manifestation of the broader social convection currents taking place below the surface. For Jacksonians who are losing faith in the ability of established institutions to preserve order, the Second Amendment is a bulwark against totalitarian movements, like Islamism, that would undermine American liberty. Under this deeply held view, attacks by ISIS-enthusiasts strengthen, rather than weaken, the case for gun rights. But for cosmopolitan liberals, gun rights are an anachronism—a symbol of all the wrong-headed views espoused by working class whites. Set these two warring camps against each other in the context of an ongoing terror threat, and you push an already divided society even further down the path of tribalism and fracture.

"The attackers in Orlando and San Bernardino accomplished something the attackers in Boston and New York didn’t: They drove a wedge between patriotic Americans, and managed to ensure that our grieving over the dead was polluted from the outset by a din of vicious political assaults. By any measure, they and their fellow travelers must consider this a great success. Perhaps terrorists who choose to carry out their massacres with guns are actually “taking advantage” of American society in a rather different way than many liberals think."

http://www.the-american-interest.com...-nation-apart/

--Yeats

Now Can Big Data Fight Terror?

We need comments from Rocker and other techno-geeks (I use that term with love).

http://www.wsj.com/articles/now-can-...ror-1465943758

--Yeats

Congress wouldn't fund such a project after the NRA freaks out.

A congressman attempted to talk about research into gun control on Monday, and Paul Ryan immediately shut him down on parliamentary procedures before he could even complete a sentence.

There is no way that a big data project investigating guns would ever see the light of day in Congress. If it is going to happen it will need to be privately funded (or at a university but without federal grants).
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 06-17-2016 at 12:00 PM.

Gen. McChrystal pens an op-Ed piece.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/17....co/xygThdN9SK

Stavridis: The Front Line is in Cyberspace

Also: "Take a deep breath, look at the tactical, don't throw away a strategic advantage."

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/49446...-clips/daytime
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Just saw the news about Nice, France. At what point do we start to get numb to this? How tragic will that be, if it happens?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Just saw the news about Nice, France. At what point do we start to get numb to this? How tragic will that be, if it happens?
    I would submit we are essentially there. This will descend into some argument by morning time.

I am curious to see how many here will dismiss this editorial simply because of the author's identity.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/dick-che...ine-1403046522

--Yeats