Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    How you like dem apples?

Jamal Willis is next. Then Sark as a consultant
    I'm looking forward to Sark's press conferences and fireside talks.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Crowton was aloof. That's about as nice a descriptor as I can write.

Bronco was...odd.

Bronco did things Lavell would never dream of doing, principally, the weekly firesides. He also never had a single shred of passion about beating you guys. My grandmother was in Lavell's ward for years and I would talk football with him at every opportunity and the man was passionate about beating Utah.

It always felt that Bronco was a square peg in a round hole and was doing things that only seemed to appeal to his masters, BYU the Institution, and not BYU the Football Team.

Kalani will win games and he will want to beat you like no one has since Lavell retired.
    Having known Gary and people that played for him both at BYU and Oregon you are the first person that has ever described him as aloof, that I know.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Having known Gary and people that played for him both at BYU and Oregon you are the first person that has ever described him as aloof, that I know.
    I'm trying to be nice.

Adopting a Brazilian kid in the next three months, inspired by your great story.

Just saw a BYU Pilsner Glass gift set on sale at Kohls. If Sarkesian comes on board, it might be a nice gesture to have that at the ready the first time Detmer runs a play that always worked fantastically in high school, but implodes badly at the P5 level.

As long as Sitake is bringing back the ex-BYU player Super Heroes to form his staff, even *I* would be willing to donate to the cause if he coaxed former BYU kicker Jason Chaffetz to give up his stint as a veteran term-limits driven Congressional reformer.

The TSA people would appreciate that, as well. "Really, Representative Chaffetz, we're not getting our jollies by looking at your teenage daughter with the security scanners. Promise."

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Adopting a Brazilian kid in the next three months, inspired by your great story.
    Congratulations, that's awesome. Best wishes to you and your family.

Detmer is a sleeping giant. There's no further explanation needed.

Jesus Rockne Christ couldn't live up to the expectations BYU fans have of Detmer. From a win/loss standpoint, there's a natural ceiling BYU has to overcome.....limited coaching pool, small recruiting base, no conference affiliation to name a few. Bronco pretty much hit that ceiling. All you're really hoping for is a bowl win here and there, and one more rivalry win over the course of a decade. Put yourself in the GA or LSU fan base bucket.

If boosters exercise patience I think you can field a decent team in a couple of years, but BYU fans are better known for huge swings of emotions......whether cratering on Ngata to Oregon, or the euphoria of Detmer, the fan base goes mental real fast.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Jesus Rockne Christ couldn't live up to the expectations BYU fans have of Detmer. From a win/loss standpoint, there's a natural ceiling BYU has to overcome.....limited coaching pool, small recruiting base, no conference affiliation to name a few. Bronco pretty much hit that ceiling. All you're really hoping for is a bowl win here and there, and one more rivalry win over the course of a decade. Put yourself in the GA or LSU fan base bucket.

If boosters exercise patience I think you can field a decent team in a couple of years, but BYU fans are better known for huge swings of emotions......whether cratering on Ngata to Oregon, or the euphoria of Detmer, the fan base goes mental real fast.
    I think the low point of the Ngata saga was the CB discussion about whether his decision to go to Oregon was the reason for his dad's tragic death in a truck accident shortly after Haloti's commitment to the Ducks. I think good old Y'zGuy started that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think the low point of the Ngata saga was the CB discussion about whether his decision to go to Oregon was the reason for his dad's tragic death in a truck accident shortly after Haloti's commitment to the Ducks. I think good old Y'zGuy started that one.
    I remember it being a grueling decision for Haloti, he was leaning Oregon, his mom wanted BYU, and they were able to meet with (then) Apostle Thomas S. Monson to help resolve things, and he told them to get the answer through prayer.

News of the meeting with the Apostle reached CB, and there was grumbling about how the Apostle could have undermined the Church's school that way, and how the Ngatas were able to get that kind of access to such a high level of the church, to begin with.

It will be interesting to see how much Sitake resorts to using the "hard sell" in recruiting LDS kids. My hunch is he won't start that way, but as things come back to Earth, and the rumbling starts, he might.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post

What bucket are you in? You're either sixth place in the conference in your best year or second place in the doormat of the conference competition, with your new rival in first place. You are in a P5 conference but you are not P5.

What bucket are you in? You're either sixth place in the conference in your best year or second place in the doormat of the conference competition, with your new rival in first place. You are in a P5 conference but you are not P5.
    You're spending too much time on Cougarboard.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

You're spending too much time on Cougarboard.

I've been banished from there since 2008

I'm just stating the facts

Of Pac-12 teams, only Oregon has won more games since the beginning of last season than Utah, and the last time Utah faced Oregon, it scored seven unanswered touchdowns while dealing the Ducks their most lopsided loss since 2003.

Utah's 2011 classmate, Colorado, has won fewer conference games in five seasons (five) than Utah won in 2015 alone (six) — the Buffaloes' best win coming against the Utes in 2011. The other four teams Colorado has beaten finished a combined 3-33 those years in conference.

The Utes, meanwhile, have bested every Pac-12 team — from half-pints to big shots — at least once. This year they played 10 bowl-bound teams and defeated three with 9-3 regular-season records.
    http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3347234...-3-season-what

--Yeats

I've been banished from there since 2008

And you and every other Y fan would trade your first born child to be a non-P 5 team in a P 5 conference, as you put it.

Viking: "You are in a P5 conference but you are not P5. Just stating the facts"

LA Ute: (simply copies and pastes the beginning of SL Trib article assessing Utah's tenure in the PAC-12, which is generally quite impressive.)

As Letterman used to describe this kind of beat down: "Ouch"

Viking, brother, I hope you don't set yourself up for this kind of abuse in your line of work.

That was like launching yourself as a beachball pitch, at a softball game where Star Lotulelei is at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Viking: "You are in a P5 conference but you are not P5. Just stating the facts"

LA Ute: (simply copies and pastes the beginning of SL Trib article assessing Utah's tenure in the PAC-12, which is generally quite impressive.)

As Letterman used to describe this kind of beat down: "Ouch"
    But I posted it with love in my heart, Ma'ke.

--Yeats

But I posted it with love in my heart, Ma'ke.
    lol. That's a double "ouch".

Hey Viking - quit while you're not too far behind.

Ie, if that LA's loving reaction, the angry reaction would make you want to sign up for remedial Kindergarten.

Banned
    Jeez you two. You are so civilized here. That was hardly a bloody beat down. I think he'll survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Jeez you two. You are so civilized here. That was hardly a bloody beat down. I think he'll survive.
    I once competed in a thing called the "Corporate Games", which I referred to as the "Office Worker Olympics".

Not impressive.

The companies that really take this competition seriously somehow end up with ex-D1 athletes. In the 5K, the guy who won it was an all-America in track in college. I saw him for about 20 seconds after the start, and admired his time when I crossed the finish line, wanted to shake his hand, but he was long gone by then, probably at home in the shower.

Running a 200m sprint after being sedentary for a decade educated me about muscle groups I'd never actually been aware of before. (That was my wake up call that the couch really wasn't my friend.)

Oregon hires Brady Hoke as its new DC.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Oregon hires Brady Hoke as its new DC.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Dangerous. He put together a stellar defense at Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yes. This is like the Lane Kiffin hire where all the fans laughed and all the opposing coaches got nervous.
    Agreed. Hokes did fine at SDSU. UO is trying to shore-up the defensive side of things by reaching an outside talent.

Let's see how Utah does by staying with an "inside" talent on the offensive side of things. So far, meh. Per Whit, it's always the "coach's fault"; you either can't coach or can't recruit. Worst outcome...you are both.

Dave Christensen let go by A&M as OL coach today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Shocking

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Maybe Troy Calhoon will hire him.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Utah Football picks up two new recruiting assistants today. Deuce Lutui and Reece Hicks. Not sure if they have sons that we're recruiting.

Deuce Lutui's kids would begin to graduate HS sometime around 2020, so hopefully we aren't recruiting them too hard. It will be nice to have another NFL player, especially one who was an All-American, on the staff.

So who replaces Strong at Texas? Herman?

Who's going to Baton Rouge?

Does Craig stay at Wyoming?

Any movement in the Pac-12? Remember when people were saying USC would have an opening this year?

Pete Thamel still thinks Helfrich is a goner. He also lists Kyle as a Texas candidate (though he, like everyone, expects Herman to get the UT job):

http://www.campusrush.com/college-fo...low_twitter_si

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So who replaces Strong at Texas?.....

I don't know, but somebody will get a good coach and a someone overflowing with character. By all accounts, he seems to be one of the good guys in the sport.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Helfrich gone at Oregon.