Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel 2015

Coaching Carousel 2015

Reports on ESPN suggest that LSU Boosters are prepared to buy out Les Miles. While I think that is probably an idiotic move, it signals yet another potential job opening to add to the following list (in order of relevancy):

• USC
    • Miami
    • South Carolina
    • Va. Tech
    • Missouri
    • Maryland
    • UCF
    • Illinois
    • Iowa St.
    • North Texas
    • Hawaii
    • Louisiana Monroe

There will be plenty of others, including Virginia as the season winds down. We'll keep this list going as there may be some impact to either our program or coaches with ties to our program.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 11-23-2015 at 02:38 PM.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'd move Mizzou up and Miami down. And of course LSU would go to #2.

Where does Les end up? Fun coach. Is Gary Patterson available? Is Art Briles?
    I made a comment when the USC job opened up that they should contact Miles. I still wouldn't be surprised (assuming they don't name Helton as their coach).

The rankings weren't mine, I snagged them off of SB Nation when I was looking for the list.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Les Miles reportedly to hold a meeting with his team this afternoon.

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index...cial_meet.html

EDIT: Boosters reported ready to buy out his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Les Miles reportedly to hold a meeting with his team this afternoon.

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index...cial_meet.html

EDIT: Boosters reported ready to buy out his contract.
    Kyle Whittingham would win like crazy with LSU talent. Strong D, strong running game, etc. Throw in some SEC speed at WR and a passable QB who can run a bit and go through the reads, and he would happily plow through much of that schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Kyle Whittingham would win like crazy with LSU talent. Strong D, strong running game, etc. Throw in some SEC speed at WR and a passable QB who can run a bit and go through the reads, and he would happily plow through much of that schedule.

Kyle Wittingham is Les Miles. Their complaints about Miles are the same as ours -- strong defense, crappy qb, no passing game. KW couldn't beat Alabama any more than Miles could.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Kyle Wittingham is Les Miles. Their complaints about Miles are the same as ours -- strong defense, crappy qb, no passing game. KW couldn't beat Alabama any more than Miles could.
    Shirley you recognize that recruiting at Utah is not the same as recruiting at LSU; and the competition is comparable.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I could have sworn that Kyle was 1-0 against Saban and Alabama. Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Shirley you recognize that recruiting at Utah is not the same as recruiting at LSU; and the competition is comparable.
    Shirley you recognize the similarities between Miles and Wittingham, and the strengths and weaknesses of each program.

Of all those openings or rumored openings, I think Kyle definitely takes only LSU and USC. But I'm guessing they don't offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Of all those openings or rumored openings, I think Kyle definitely takes only LSU and USC. But I'm guessing they don't offer.
    Someone tweeted last night that Kyle was on LSU's list...which, if they are looking for someone with more offense, I'm not sure why Kyle is your guy. I love Kyle, but an offensive guru he is not.

Kyle's offense would be amazing with improved personnel. I don't understand why people can't see this. In fact, many people DO see this and blame our poor play on the weaknesses of individual players, point the finger at Kyle as the problem, without taking the next step to accept the inherent weakness that comes with recruiting to Utah.

The matchip vs USC demonstrated this perfectly, as USC has 3 times as many 5* recruits as Utah has 4*, and more 4* than we had 3*. Their 3rd stringers were mire highly ranked than most of our starters.

Kyle's weakness isn't offensive philosophy, it is more closely related to the inability to recruit top level QBs and WRs. And yes, that is related to OC turnover. But the OCs were trying to match a scheme to fit our personnel. If they were recruiting to LSU it would be an entirely different story.

Also, didn't Kyle live in New Orleans for a while while Fred played or coached for the Saints?
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 11-24-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Oh, and he probably needs to find a real QB coach with success coaching QBs at the P5 level. That would be one of the biggest hires of the offseason.

I wish he could see that.

You all think KW is a much better recruiter than Miles, or would be? Miles is a great recruiter, and has been every where he has coached. KW may be on LSU's list, but given their dissatisfaction with their offense, I cant believe the fan base would be happy with a coach whose offense has never ranked higher than 11th in the Pac 12. If they are going to the trouble and $$ of buying out Miles, they will want a big name, home run hire I would guess.

P.S. It would be fascinating to see who KW hired as his OC at LSU. maybe he could bring in Sark to engage in a chess match with Kiffen.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Kyle's offense would be amazing with improved personnel. I don't understand why people can't see this. In fact, many people DO see this and blame our poor play on the weaknesses of individual players, point the finger at Kyle as the problem, without taking the next step to accept the inherent weakness that comes with recruiting to Utah.

The matchip vs USC demonstrated this perfectly, as USC has 3 times as many 5* recruits as Utah has 4*, and more 4* than we had 3*. Their 3rd stringers were mire highly ranked than most of our starters.

Kyle's weakness isn't offensive philosophy, it is more closely related to the inability to recruit top level QBs and WRs. And yes, that is related to OC turnover. But the OCs were trying to match a scheme to fit our personnel. If they were recruiting to LSU it would be an entirely different story.

Also, didn't Kyle live in New Orleans for a while while Fred played or coached for the Saints?
    The potential certainly exists for the offense to be good, no question (See the Oregon game). I feel like there's a massive inconsistency in play calling game to game that in my belief is what has created the problem with our offense, particularly in the last two games. There have to...have to be ways to scheme to get guys open, and we just don't seem to be able to do that very well. Now, I actually don't put as much of that on Kyle as other's do. I would have really liked to see more film and game planning sessions during this season of "The Drive." The first episode where Kyle is trying to get answers about QB production...I would have loved to see more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    I could have sworn that Kyle was 1-0 against Saban and Alabama. Silly me.
    Yeah, and Ron McBride is 1-0 against Pete Carroll and USC. Sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    Yeah, and Ron McBride is 1-0 against Pete Carroll and USC. Sample size.
    Miles has beaten Alabama 5 times, and Saban 3 times, but not since 2011. He has lost 5 straight.

Miles won the national championship in 2007, and lost the national championship game in 2012 (to Alabama).

KW will do significantly better?
    Last edited by concerned; 11-25-2015 at 07:44 AM.

I heard Brian Swinney say Wednesday that he thinks Utah will hire a QB coach for next season, probably someone who has played the position. He could see Stubblefield moving on (so can I) and A-Rod taking over the WR coaching while remaining co-OC, if he stays around. So if that happens, who'd be the QB coach? Brandon Doman's name was mentioned, as was Scott Mitchell's. How about Jordan Wynn? Just spitballin' here, guys.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I heard Brian Swinney say Wednesday that he thinks Utah will hire a QB coach for next season, probably someone who has played the position. He could see Stubblefield moving on (so can I) and A-Rod taking over the WR coaching while remaining co-OC, if he stays around. So if that happens, who'd be the QB coach? Brandon Doman's name was mentioned, as was Scott Mitchell's. How about Jordan Wynn? Just spitballin' here, guys.
    Not sold on Doman as a coach and would want someone with more experience at a higher level than Mitchell and Wynn. I would hope we'd go outside the family and get a little more experience and maybe a little more recruiting impact.

Coaching Carousel 2015

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Not sold on Doman as a coach and would want someone with more experience at a higher level than Mitchell and Wynn. I would hope we'd go outside the family and get a little more experience and maybe a little more recruiting impact.
    My thought was that Doman would still be at BYU if he were an effective coach. Mitchell has coached only at the high school level. Not sure what has become of Jordan at Hawaii. I'd love to see KW reach outside the family.

EDIT: Wynn is a GA at Fresno State under Schramm. Was he on the sideline when we played FSU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-27-2015 at 11:44 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I hope we could do better then any of these guys. I don't have any names to add to the list, but I would look at QB coaches currently with G5 schools. The main difficulty is that the QB coach is typically also the OC. I don't think a coordinator at a G5 school takes a position coach job at Utah.

there is always Dave Schramm

I'm not sure he'd come for a QB coach position, but Steve Fairchild should be available when Mike London gets fired at Virginia.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Mike London at UVA and Mark Richt at UGA are fired. I think UGA is the 2nd or 3rd-best job opening so far. That division's ripe for the taking, and Georgia has a ton of resources. Richt is a quality coach, I think he just got stale in the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    Mike London at UVA and Mark Richt at UGA are fired. I think UGA is the 2nd or 3rd-best job opening so far. That division's ripe for the taking, and Georgia has a ton of resources. Richt is a quality coach, I think he just got stale in the program.
    If I'm UVA I scoop Richt up. Personality wise, it's a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    If I'm UVA I scoop Richt up. Personality wise, it's a good fit.

I could see him staying in the SEC East with SoCar. He's also an interesting name for USC. Any which way you look at it, he won't be unemployed for long.

Fuente to VaTech, and now the rumors are Tom Herman to UGA. I'm surprised it's not Kirby Smart.

Yes to qb coach, but no to those three. Doman was never a qb; he was a wildcat rb.
    I'd be OK with a Doman hire, and here's why. The guy is apparently an excellent recruiter, having secured the #1 QB commit (who sucked, but that's beside the point). We could use a recruiter at the QB coach spot to convince recruits that Utah is a fine place to quarterback. I know next to nothing about his coaching abilty, but his recruiting ability alone would make him an improvement over what has come before him.

I´ll be surprised if Stubblefield is still at Utah next season.

--Yeats

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes to qb coach, but no to those three. Doman was never a qb; he was a wildcat rb.
    Doman isn't a good coach, that should be your reason. His "wildcat" year he completed 64% of his passes for 3500 yards and 35 TDs. No reason to make things up when good reasons exist.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Doman isn't a good coach, that should be your reason. His "wildcat" year he completed 64% of his passes for 3500 yards and 35 TDs. No reason to make things up when good reasons exist.
    I guess that if he were a good coach he'd still be coaching at BYU.

--Yeats