Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel 2015

USC removes the interim tag from Clay Helton.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Wow. I guess next year is the real try out for him? This seems pretty good from a Ute fan perspective.

What if he gets steamrolled by Stanford?
    He still has a South Division Co-Championship to hang his hat on.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Smart by VT to get it going early. There are so many job openings. I think Fuente could have had something better.
    I'd probably prefer UGA to VaTech, but what's the next-best opening? South Carolina is a tough place to win. Miami is dysfunctional. Missouri has a ways to go to be competitive. VaTech has a lot of resources in a winnable division in a winnable conference.

USC is a top 5 job. Crazy they're letting a coordinator cut his teeth on this job.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    I'd probably prefer UGA to VaTech, but what's the next-best opening? South Carolina is a tough place to win. Miami is dysfunctional. Missouri has a ways to go to be competitive. VaTech has a lot of resources in a winnable division in a winnable conference.
    VA Tech is an awesome football experience. They won't can you after a 9 win season, and don't have to fight for local recruits as hard. The downside is they will pay a mill less than UGA.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    USC is a top 5 job. Crazy they're letting a coordinator cut his teeth on this job.
    Yup, he might be successful, but he might not. Someone like Chip Kelly would have given me nightmares of wrapping up the South by week 6. Helton could flounder for a couple of years.

Or he could be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yup, he might be successful, but he might not. Someone like Chip Kelly would have given me nightmares of wrapping up the South by week 6. Helton could flounder for a couple of years.

Or he could be great.
    He did well with the "us against the world" mentality this year. It will be interesting to see how he handles being the overwhelming favorite.

Scott Frost to ucf. Any winning at all is an improvement.

Any chance Oregon poaches one of our ocs to replace him?
    I would say no.

I don't know. They gotta remember those trick plays we ran against them.
    Weren't they all special teams plays?

Kirby Smart to Georgia "very likely," after the SEC Championship.

Mark Richt to Miami. I think that is a good hire.

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I was thinking Richt was a good fit for Virginia. My gut tells me Bronco is a good fit as well.

Wow

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I guess Bronco didn't want to lose to Whitt one more time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Now we will get an answer to the burning question I have wondered about for years: If you take Bronco out of the Y, is he a real person and not an automoton. It will be interesting to see what he is like when football no longer is the fifth priority. At lease i assume he is not going to tell that to boosters, players, and recruits.

Although UVA does have a pretty strict honor code, at least as to honesty.

Virginia hires BYU's Bronco Mendenhall as new football coach

So does Kalani go there now? Does Taysom Hill come to Utah? Does BYU de-emphasize football? Does Robert Anae get promoted?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Now we will get an answer to the burning question I have wondered about for years: If you take Bronco out of the Y, is he a real person and not an automoton. It will be interesting to see what he is like when football no longer is the fifth priority. At lease i assume he is not going to tell that to boosters, players, and recruits.

I was thinking the same thing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I wonder if you can read into this Bronco's belief that the Y is not going to get into a P-5 conference and escape independence purgatory. It cant be fun playing all your P-5 games in Sept. on the road.

I am sure that question will come up at a press conference, if there is one.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

So does Kalani go there now? Does Taysom Hill come to Utah? Does BYU de-emphasize football? Does Robert Anae get promoted?
    I'm not plugged into the LDS coaching community so have no clue who might be on the short list, but seems to me Kalani would be disappointing low hanging fruit. Can't imagine he would fire up the fan base.

I'd think there's a 0% chance Taysom transfers to Utah as he appears to have high career ambitions, perhaps pursuing a world-class MBA. In that vein, UVA makes tons of sense, as does Northwestern, Duke, Michigan etc..... Wonder if Stanford would consider him given his transfer years ago.

The other thing that strikes me is that given their schedule next season, which appears to be loaded with quality teams, the change to a new HC couldn't have come at a worse time. They're poised to take a beating next year.

I was told that Anae was promised the HC job when Bronco leaves. Bronco did everything he could to get another job last year but it did not come together. If Holmoe sticks with the promise, Anae will be HC. I could see him making a play for Kalani, but I don't think Kalani leaves Gary after 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

Bronco will have a visible tattoo within 2 years. take it to the bank.

Taysom Hill to Utah? Why would he do that? He's a BYU guy
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I'm not plugged into the LDS coaching community so have no clue who might be on the short list, but seems to me Kalani would be disappointing low hanging fruit. Can't imagine he would fire up the fan base.

I'd think there's a 0% chance Taysom transfers to Utah as he appears to have high career ambitions, perhaps pursuing a world-class MBA. In that vein, UVA makes tons of sense, as does Northwestern, Duke, Michigan etc..... Wonder if Stanford would consider him given his transfer years ago.

The other thing that strikes me is that given their schedule next season, which appears to be loaded with quality teams, the change to a new HC couldn't have come at a worse time. They're poised to take a beating next year.
    It would be weird for him to play at Utah anyway. I was joking about that, just for the record. It'll be interesting to see who wants that job. Looks like Anae does.

--Yeats

Here's how I would rate the candidates likelihood of getting the job:

1. Anae
    2. Ken N (Navy head coach)
    3. Anderson (Stanford D-coordinator)
    4. Sitake

It would be weird for him to play at Utah anyway. I was joking about that, just for the record. It'll be interesting to see who wants that job. Looks like Anae does.
    LOL! The Coach Anae show will be AMAZING radio for the cougar faithful, haha!

When do the Whit to BYU rumors start?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I guess Bronco didn't want to lose to Whitt one more time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Maybe he does? per Holmo:
    "He has a strong desire to complete this season and will coach our team at the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl......
    http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37629022&nid...s_cid=topstory

When do the Whit to BYU rumors start?
    Did they stop? Hey-O!!