Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A sports television thread

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Don't know if this was posted:

Some ADs grumble about Pac-12 Networks’ payouts, distribution

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...s-10910339.php
    The PAC-12 Network has been a disappointment and needs improvement. Everyone who's paying attention acknowledges this, so I think your gloating about that fact is becoming silly. It will get better. Like many innovations it is hitting some bumps in the road.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The PAC-12 Network has been a disappointment and needs improvement. Everyone who's paying attention acknowledges this, so I think your gloating about that fact is becoming silly. It will get better. Like many innovations it is hitting some bumps in the road.
    I'm not gloating. I was just adding to the thread. The hard reality is content is king. No matter how great the supposed innovation (and to be fair it ain't all that innovative), if your content isn't good, that innovation is worthless.

I'm not gloating.
    This is as ridiculous - though far less offensive - as utah's statement about the handcarts.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This is as ridiculous - though far less offensive - as utah's statement about the handcarts.
    I'm seriously not gloating. This thread is fascinating, as a reflection of what is happening in college sports. The current media rights structure is unsustainable, and it will be interesting to see what happens.

At some point USC, as well as Oregon and UCLA to lessor degrees are going to say enough and do their own thing. Just as Texas has done in the Big12.

Report: Comcast To Dump Big Ten Network

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/4/12...ig-ten-network
    sports programming seems as volatile as ever

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    sports programming seems as volatile as ever
    The money associated with these deals has never made a lot of sense to me and the perpetual escalation seems unsustainable. I have no idea how anyone is making money with their overhead and making payouts like they do to the schools and conferences.

I'm seriously not gloating.
    Well, you might have an idea about why we might think that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I think this is a hint at what's coming, although I'm not smart enough to figure this all out

https://pac-12.com/article/2018/11/20/pac-12-conference-goes-all-amazon-web-services

BREAKING: Amazon bids for 22 regional sports networks Walt Disney must divest in Fox deal; Amazon, Blackstone also join Yankees with bids for YES Network; 2nd round bids expected before year-end - sources

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1064892675374178310
    Last edited by Scorcho; 11-20-2018 at 05:15 PM.

ESPN returns 'SportsCenter' to its roots: 'I think we miscalculated a little bit'

https://www.courant.com/sports/olymp...205-story.html

--Yeats

PAC-12 Networks has taken a beating lately from outsiders, but its refreshing to hear another viewpoint. This sports media expert meets with Wilner to discuss why he is bullish about the future of the PAC-12.

https://www.mercurynews.com/tag/pac-12-hotline-podcast/

this is about as good as it gets if you're into this type of stuff
    Last edited by Scorcho; 01-17-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    PAC-12 Networks has taken a beating lately from outsiders, but its refreshing to hear another viewpoint. This sports media expert meets with Wilner to discuss why he is bullish about the future of the PAC-12.

https://www.mercurynews.com/tag/pac-12-hotline-podcast/

this is about as good as it gets if you're into this type of stuff
    The future of the Pac 12 Network is the orgiastic green light that recedes before us year by year.