Thread: A sports television thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We're forward thinking ourselves out of relevance.

I'm as much a fan of the sports TV biz as anyone, or at least I make it a point to stay current. But we're seven years into life in the Pac-12 and six with Pac-12 nets and the $$$ gulf between us and the Big 10 and SEC is widening. We're well into the long term, and there's nothing to suggest the money is going to get better anytime soon. Our best assistants are taking similar jobs in other leagues. We're losing more and more top recruits outside the footprint. The Pac-12 network is part of the problem in our slow descent into irrelevancy. This story is nothing more than Larry talking about things few people care about. And what's so great about content if nobody's watching it? ... https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/21/p12n-xxxxx/
    I think we are arguing 2 different things?

If PAC-12 Fandom were anywhere near Big 10/SEC levels, I would agree with you. Those conferences deserve to make more based on simple supply and demand. The market has dictated the PAC-12 pecking order and unfortunately the PAC-12 is better aligned with the Big XII and ACC.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I maintain that owning its own content will be valuable financially for the PAC-12 in the future years. A Direct TV contract with the PAC-12 would only yield another 1-2 million per school. It helps, but the gap is still wide. Unless you can somehow shift population and passion from East to West, I don't see an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I think we are arguing 2 different things?

If PAC-12 Fandom were anywhere near Big 10/SEC levels, I would agree with you. Those conferences deserve to make more based on simple supply and demand. The market has dictated the PAC-12 pecking order and unfortunately the PAC-12 is better aligned with the Big XII and ACC.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I maintain that owning its own content will be valuable financially for the PAC-12 in the future years. A Direct TV contract with the PAC-12 would only yield another 1-2 million per school. It helps, but the gap is still wide. Unless you can somehow shift population and passion from East to West, I don't see an answer.
    We need to expand our brand nationally, yet we keep limiting ourselves to regional interests -- the 6 channels, courting local/regional cable deals instead of DirecTV among them.

I agree that there are limitations based on geography and time zone constraints. Which makes our emphasis on the Olympic sports more restrictive. And who cares about China? Maybe first Larry should find a way to get more league games done before 11 p.m. EST before figuring out how to promote the league in foreign markets. Our TV efforts are a disaster, and recruits are taking notice.

Don't know if this was posted:

Some ADs grumble about Pac-12 Networks’ payouts, distribution

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...s-10910339.php

Utah athletic director Chris Hill said he hasn’t been satisfied with the network either in its payouts or distribution. “From the ADs’ standpoint, we expected more,” he said ...

But those advances haven’t stemmed the criticism. The inability to land DirecTV, in particular, “is making the gap bigger and bigger” in comparison with the other conference networks, said Utah’s Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Don't know if this was posted:

Some ADs grumble about Pac-12 Networks’ payouts, distribution

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...s-10910339.php
    The PAC-12 Network has been a disappointment and needs improvement. Everyone who's paying attention acknowledges this, so I think your gloating about that fact is becoming silly. It will get better. Like many innovations it is hitting some bumps in the road.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The PAC-12 Network has been a disappointment and needs improvement. Everyone who's paying attention acknowledges this, so I think your gloating about that fact is becoming silly. It will get better. Like many innovations it is hitting some bumps in the road.
    I'm not gloating. I was just adding to the thread. The hard reality is content is king. No matter how great the supposed innovation (and to be fair it ain't all that innovative), if your content isn't good, that innovation is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I'm not gloating.
    This is as ridiculous - though far less offensive - as utah's statement about the handcarts.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This is as ridiculous - though far less offensive - as utah's statement about the handcarts.
    I'm seriously not gloating. This thread is fascinating, as a reflection of what is happening in college sports. The current media rights structure is unsustainable, and it will be interesting to see what happens.

At some point USC, as well as Oregon and UCLA to lessor degrees are going to say enough and do their own thing. Just as Texas has done in the Big12.