Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Destinations 2015 - 2016 Bowl Games

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Sounds like a great idea.
    "You have some impressive success against very long odds and with significant built-in challenges. You have over two decades running a specific scheme, and have patterned your team around that specific offensive scheme. We want to bring you in to run our team, but we also want you to implement OUR scheme and using a completely different type of athlete. And we want you to hit the ground running and continue the level of success to which we have become accustomed ..."

What could possibly go wrong? On the other hand it might be fun to watch a decade of bad byu football, just for the schafenfreude.

There are reasons that the option doesn't work at the highest levels of football (e.g., an expectation that RBs can block DEs), but at a glance the byu has a lot of the makings of an option team - a team with recruiting limitations and a lot of smart, quick, disciplined kids who can make up for some shortcomings with precise execution. All smack-talking aside, an option attack plays to the byu's ethos and advantages.

I get it that it's quarterback U and that Tanner M is the rill dill but, long-term, the option has possibilities. (Taysom Hill seems like he could be a great option QB). Especially with an independent schedule where teams don't get used to playing the byu every year, and the element of unfamiliarity is another advantage.

Plus, you can still chuck it a lot out of option formations. Hell, Joe Flacco played in a wing-t offense in college and they threw like crazy.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Are we still taking about BYU?
    Ha. Touche.
    The student-body at large is not the same as the punch-throwers on the field.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Hyperbolize much? We played Duke in hoops in a much more meaningful game just 8 months ago.
    So looking back at today--you are right instead of being in the Garden watching an upset of the #2 ranked team in overtime,
    I could have been sitting outside in Vegas watching Utah sit on a lead for 4 quarters. Nothing like 3 & outs.

You are right that would have been much more meaningful---not to mention fun.

Why would you post that? They were both great games with great outcomes. I'm happy for any Ute who was able to attend either.
    SCP's post was kind of condescending. The last time we played Duke in the regular season was 1970 (in MSG, coincidently) Old Standing Ute was not far off saying this was a once in a lifetime chance, and was a long way from hyperbole.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Why would you post that? They were both great games with great outcomes. I'm happy for any Ute who was able to attend either.
    High road---you are correct. My apologies.

Just got tired of TDS fans talking about how great game this would be; blah, blah, blah. In reality Utes played the 7th ranked BB team in Duke whereas they had the chance to play the 3rd best independent team ( after Notre Dame & Navy), so they were probably right.

Great wins by both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Ha. Touche.
    The student-body at large is not the same as the punch-throwers on the field.
    Let the record show the only player ejected was wearing red

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    ...for a legal hit, prior to the whistle.

Unfortunately BYU's reputation preceded them, and the refs called the game extremely tight to maintain control. If Utah played any other opponent, that bump is ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post

Yeah that was dumb. He certainly didn't get his money's worth.

I used to love watching as many bowl games as possible, but the older I get, the less interest I have in any game in which Utah is not playing. Anyone else feel the same?

Edit: I've edited my little mistake. Thanks for the heads up, SU.
    Last edited by GarthUte; 12-24-2015 at 10:15 AM.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Holiday Destinations 2015 - 2016 Bowl Games

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    I used to love watching as many bowl games as possible, but the older I get, the less interest I have in any game in which Utah is playing. Anyone else feel the same?
    In which Utah is playing? That's ****** up. I really only care about bowls in which Utah is playing and the Big Bowls.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-23-2015 at 04:43 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    In which Utah is playing? That's ****** up. I really only care about bowls in which Utah is playing and the Big Bowls.
    I edited my mistake in my post. Sorry 'bout that.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I will always choose to watch football over anything else, so I'll watch bad bowl games. There are some that I do catch myself thinking "why am I watching this?" however.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    I edited my mistake in my post. Sorry 'bout that.

LOL.....everybody knew what you meant.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    LOL.....everybody knew what you meant.
    Just making sure. I didn't mean to cause any undue anguish.

What was with that field? I didn't watch the game but that field didn't look wet but it was a mess.

Horrible weather for the sun bowl

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Horrible weather for the sun bowl

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    I feel bad you guys didn't get your wish and would've gotten to enjoy that weather!

I think Oklahoma and Alabama win tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    I'm interested to see how Clemson does. I think Oklahoma wins too, but if it is a blowout, that's two straight years of an unbeaten ACC champ getting blown out. That eventually will influence the committee.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    and then Alabama destroys Oklahome

TCU's Boykin out for the Alamo bowl after a bar fight and assaulting an officer.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Kessler throws a seven yard out on fourth and ten. Game over. The socal schools are 0-2, which is great. Note we just need asu and Stanford to lose.

Why would usc at least not wait to make a hire? It's not like Helton was going anywhere. Helton is now 0-2 as the official head coach.

And where in the world do Mora to the nfl rumors come from? All that guy does is lose to teams with less talent.
    This is why the Helton hire is golden for us (not to mention everyone in the Pac-12): there is a chance that Helton doesn't know what he's doing.

And Mora-to-the-NFL rumors are golden too!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    TCU's Boykin out for the Alamo bowl after a bar fight and assaulting an officer.
    f2b5cd28256e58f15a78d0e9eaf6e901.450x305x1.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Factually incorrect, should be 3/4 full of alcohol.

Kudos to Houston. I didn't give them much of a chance, and they looked comfortable against a good FSU team.

The committee got it right on Clemson and OU. These are two dang good teams.

Question of the day: how will Michigan State find a way to beat Alabama after leading for exactly 0:00 of the game?

Impressive catch to set up Bama's first TD. Looked like interference, and Ridley still brought in the ball.

10-0 at half. Huge pick inside the 5 for the Tide at the end of the half.

Michigan State is playing Whittingham Football tonight.

And Bama is lighting them up.

Roll Tide, Beat Clemson.