Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-preseason thread: 2016 football

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Was Dwight Schr-Ute in the stadium when this happened?
    Nope. Happened in practice Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My takeaway from the portion of the spring game I was able to watch? We are what we thought we were. No surprises. The WR/QB group is a concern, and the LB group is a concern. The Dline is the team's greatest strength, and we have good RBs.
    Hard to really tell.

Most of the starting OLine and DLine was held out. We're missing Patrick and Butler-Byrd as well.

Saw a couple comments from the coaches that the spring game is the least informative scrimmage of spring

Was Dwight Schr-Ute in the stadium when this happened?
    Hey now. I've never claimed to be responsible for injuries!

Diehard,
    Do you know anything about Kendall Huey? He was highly heralded out of Pima CC. He was unblockable today. As you said - starters on both side were out, but he looked to have quite a speed rush ability. I wonder if he helps us his senior year. I believe he's a junior and he won't see the field much this season given the D'line depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Hard to really tell.

Most of the starting OLine and DLine was held out. We're missing Patrick and Butler-Byrd as well.

Saw a couple comments from the coaches that the spring game is the least informative scrimmage of spring

Yeah, I understand that. I'm really just saying that, unsurprisingly, the QB/WR/LB situations are the largest question marks for this team, and the Spring has not done much to answer those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Diehard,
    Do you know anything about Kendall Huey? He was highly heralded out of Pima CC. He was unblockable today. As you said - starters on both side were out, but he looked to have quite a speed rush ability. I wonder if he helps us his senior year. I believe he's a junior and he won't see the field much this season given the D'line depth.
    He is a junior. He walked on here.

I remember reading that he was injured his first year at Pima 6 quarters into the season. He had 6.5 sacks in those 6 quarters.

I don't have any real inside info though.

Pre-preseason thread: 2016 football

Looking at the video clips from the Red and White Game, I really like the throwing motion of both Cox and Huntley. According to Riley and Dolce, Cox, Huntley and Williams are able to "throw receivers open," something we haven't seen at Utah recently. Both Dolce and Scott Mitchell think Travis's throwing motion hindered his ability to do that (of course every Utes fan still loves Travis and always will). Because Travis didn't throw the ball "over the top," but used a more sidearm delivery, he had to use his body to create enough torque on his throw to put the ball where he needed to, at the speed he needed, and that hurt his accuracy. All that is too much "inside football" for me to assess it, but it is interesting.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-24-2016 at 02:55 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Unfortunately I don't think spring ball answered any of the questions we had before we entered. We still don't have an established pecking order at QB. Williams participated in 1 scrimmage and was not good. Cox had two great scrimmages and Huntley shows great promise. The WR's appear to have many of the same problems as in the past - they have a difficult time catching the ball with any consistency. The OL may be in worse shape now than when we entered camp due to the injury to Lutui. Defensively, the same questions persist at LB and the other groups look strong.

I saw Chase Hansen on the sidelines. Some people had said that he was up to 220. I don't believe it. He looked more like a safety than a LB.

I am the eternal pessimist. Every spring I think the Utes will be lucky to win a game. Every year they prove me wrong, usually the first weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    We still don't have an established pecking order at QB.
    I'm pretty sure it's Williams and then Cox with Huntley redshirting.

I guess they could decide to skip the red shirt for Huntley and move him directly to the second string.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's Williams and then Cox with Huntley redshirting.

I guess they could decide to skip the red shirt for Huntley and move him directly to the second string.
    Williams couldn't even make it through half of camp before his arm got sore. Giving him the starting job is very premature.

One correction. Williams did not participate in either scrimmage. He was hurt during the first closed Thursday practice

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Williams couldn't even make it through half of camp before his arm got sore. Giving him the starting job is very premature.
    We'll see. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't start.

I'm skeptical that it's just a sore arm from throwing the ball too much. (Maybe Hostile can add some medical knowledge to my speculation.) I hope he recovers quickly enough to throw with the receivers over the summer.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'm skeptical that it's just a sore arm from throwing the ball too much. (Maybe Hostile can add some medical knowledge to my speculation.) I hope he recovers quickly enough to throw with the receivers over the summer.
    Hopefully just tendinitis that clears up by not throwing for a couple three weeks and doesn't rear its ugly head again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Hopefully just tendinitis that clears up by not throwing for a couple three weeks and doesn't rear its ugly head again.
    One theory (not from any source that I know of, just speculation that I have heard, and I can't even remember where I heard it) is that the coaches already know their QB is Williams, and so they are not risking any aggravation of what is a minor injury. Whitt said it was some kind of muscle issue in the armpit area, 4-6 weeks worth of rehab.

That does read like a rose-colored glasses report, doesn't it? Whatever. After a couple of glasses of Kool-Aid it's pretty easy to believe.

--Yeats

One theory (not from any source that I know of, just speculation that I have heard, and I can't even remember where I heard it) is that the coaches already know their QB is Williams, and so they are not risking any aggravation of what is a minor injury. Whitt said it was some kind of muscle issue in the armpit area, 4-6 weeks worth of rehab.
    This is the story I'm going with. Williams was brought here to start, and I think he's the clear best option. At any sign of injury in the Spring, it made sense to pull him.

I'm sticking with my theory that it's Williams.

Pac-12: Troy Williams was Utah's 'most impressive' QB, prior to injury

--Yeats

Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson tweeted a video with Tyler Huntley today, they're working out at the same gym.

https://twitter.com/ochocinco/status/729686409825660928

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ticket office posted on Twitter that of the 33,000+ season tix, less than 250 seats were released.

https://twitter.com/UtahUtesTickets/...08818434547713

The ticket office posted on Twitter that of the 33,000+ season tix, less than 250 seats were released.

https://twitter.com/UtahUtesTickets/...08818434547713
    Makes total sense with our home schedule this year. If someone was willing, they could probably make their initial investment back for the whole season just selling the BYU and USC tickets.

9/1 Southern Utah
    9/10 BYU
    9/23 USC
    10/8 Arizona
    10/29 Washington
    11/19 Oregon
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I hope Kyle wakes up in the morning every so often with a red ass attitude. Angry that he was one win from the South title. Angry that the aforementioned win would've given us a date against a team we've beaten our last two outings. Angry that the Arizona and UCLA losses -- both games you can say we should have won -- potentially cost us a spot in the playoff. Angry that we missed what should've been a victory lap for the second half of the BYU game. I don't dwell on all of this by a long shot, but I got to thinking about all of that this morning, and it pissed me off. I'm hoping similar feelings strike Kyle from time to time.

Kyle's goodwill tank is well over the right side of 50 percent and he's as secure in his job as he's been since the end of the 2009 season. But I hope he wakes up periodically with a knot in his stomach, a fear that he may have seen his best chance at being truly nationally relevant pass him by. I hope that motivates him. Whether it's from fate, better players or Kyle himself, the fanbase is owed something better than what we saw over the final 6 games of last season. It wasn't a cruel fall from being No. 3 in the country and having the most 1st place votes in the AP poll, but it was definitely bitter. Next time we're in that spot, we need to finish the job. We'll debate the merits of an outright South title, a Rose Bowl berth or a spot in the playoff against each other when it happens. But we better not stumble into the fucking Las Vegas Bowl ever again like we did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I hope Kyle wakes up in the morning every so often with a red ass attitude. Angry that he was one win from the South title. Angry that the aforementioned win would've given us a date against a team we've beaten our last two outings. Angry that the Arizona and UCLA losses -- both games you can say we should have won -- potentially cost us a spot in the playoff. Angry that we missed what should've been a victory lap for the second half of the BYU game. I don't dwell on all of this by a long shot, but I got to thinking about all of that this morning, and it pissed me off. I'm hoping similar feelings strike Kyle from time to time.

Kyle's goodwill tank is well over the right side of 50 percent and he's as secure in his job as he's been since the end of the 2009 season. But I hope he wakes up periodically with a knot in his stomach, a fear that he may have seen his best chance at being truly nationally relevant pass him by. I hope that motivates him. Whether it's from fate, better players or Kyle himself, the fanbase is owed something better than what we saw over the final 6 games of last season. It wasn't a cruel fall from being No. 3 in the country and having the most 1st place votes in the AP poll, but it was definitely bitter. Next time we're in that spot, we need to finish the job. We'll debate the merits of an outright South title, a Rose Bowl berth or a spot in the playoff against each other when it happens. But we better not stumble into the fucking Las Vegas Bowl ever again like we did last year.
    Great post. I'll bet the proverbial dollars to donuts that Kyle has awoken at 3:00 a.m. more than once to ponder (angrily) all of the above. That's just who he is.

--Yeats

Great post. I'll bet the proverbial dollars to donuts that Kyle has awoken at 3:00 a.m. more than once to ponder (angrily) all of the above. That's just who he is.
    Yeah. One of my favorite things about Kyle is that I don't have to worry about him ever being content with anything. Must be pretty frustrating to be his wife or kids. Or maybe even players.

Yeah. One of my favorite things about Kyle is that I don't have to worry about him ever being content with anything. Must be pretty frustrating to be his wife or kids. Or maybe even players.
    I thought Kyle pushed the value of a Pac-12 South co-championship just a little too much at season's end last year. I would have 100 percent affirmation that my previous post does happen to him if he said "Piss on a co-division championship where we lost to the team we're sharing it with. Look at where we were 3 weeks ago." Would've said a lot to the outside world about where Utah strives to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I thought Kyle pushed the value of a Pac-12 South co-championship just a little too much at season's end last year. I would have 100 percent affirmation that my previous post does happen to him if he said "Piss on a co-division championship where we lost to the team we're sharing it with. Look at where we were 3 weeks ago." Would've said a lot to the outside world about where Utah strives to be.
    Last season fell apart when Travis decided to make the USC freshman linebacker his favorite receiver, then Booker, Handley, Covey, and Scott got injured seriatum. Our offense was decimated, and Travis wasn't good enough to keep it afloat. I hope against hope that our qb and receivers can give us a balanced offense this year.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Last season fell apart when Travis decided to make the USC freshman linebacker his favorite receiver, then Booker, Handley, Covey, and Scott got injured seriatum. Our offense was decimated, and Travis wasn't good enough to keep it afloat. I hope against hope that our qb and receivers can give us a balanced offense this year.
    Folks have been tweeting Travis' highlights against Oregon...that's what makes it all the more depressing.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Folks have been tweeting Travis' highlights against Oregon...that's what makes it all the more depressing.
    Many are quick to forget his highlights, such as Oregon and ASU games last year. But the thing with Travis was that when it started to go south with him, it went south in a hurry and there was no turning back. I think that was always a consistent theme with him. If Utah could keep him in a clean pocket and his WRs made some plays to help him out and he was comfortable and confident then he was....well, adequate enough for Utah to win every game on its schedule. But once he threw a pick or he was feeling consistently pressured and his confidence dropped then it was all over for him. And that last scenario was basically everything that happened after his first INT to the USC LB. From that point he just lost all of his weapons one by one and he never really got his mojo back.

--Yeats

Even more funny to watch the BYU fans on Twitter blow a gasket. They've made it abundantly clear BYU is a vastly superior learning center and their APR reflects the fact that they have to deal with missions.

Even more funny to watch the BYU fans on Twitter blow a gasket. They've made it abundantly clear BYU is a vastly superior learning center and their APR reflects the fact that they have to deal with missions.
    Of course. But how do they explain away Utah's 21-5 record against them and USU over the last 15 years? 😄

--Yeats