Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Madison Square Garden Rematch: Utah vs. Duke

Madison Square Garden Rematch: Utah vs. Duke

I'm surprised there's no thread for this (or maybe I can't find it, which would not surprise me). Here's Phil Cullen's e-mail about the game:

The Duke Blue Devils are currently ranked #6 inthe AP Coaches Poll with a 9-1 record overall. This year Duke team has adifferent look and feel to them but they are scoring the basketball better thananyone in the country, ranked 1st in Offensive Efficiency.

Duke is led by #3 Grayson Allen who is a do it all kind of guy. Allen isa strong driver who can also knock down the three shooting 46% from the 3 ptline. He is averaging 21.4 ppg and is looking to score on every touch ofthe basketball. Surrounding Allen are #14 Brandon Ingram, 14.9 ppg who is69 with guard skills and #13 Matt Jones averaging 13.6 ppg and shooting 46%from 3 pt line. At the center position they have 610 250 lb, #40 MarshallPlumlee, averaging 7 rpg.

Duke will be without their starting 4 man Amile Jefferson who was averaging adouble double due to a foot injury.

Duke has shown several different looks defensively with pressure man to man butwith the injury to Jefferson we would not be surprised to see more 2-3 zone andeven a 1-3-1 extended zone.

For us to win we need to take care of the basketball by limiting turnovers andguard the bounce on defense. This team is loaded with talent capable ofscoring from any position. We need to use our size to our advantage andadjust to their smaller lineups. Click here for the Duke stats.

Catch the game tomorrow at 10:00 am (MT) on ESPN. GO UTES!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

BTW: My expectations for this game are low, but my hopes are high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'm listening in on radio. Dickie V must be having fits about Jakob.

These Duke guys are human.

--Yeats

If we can just limit the TOs.

--Yeats

Riley and Soto are very critical of the referees. Unusually so.

--Yeats

Kind of a weak call on Jakobs second foul. Don't worry about the refs, keep playing loose.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Let's see if we get a makeup call for that one on Jakob.

--Yeats

2 ACC refs, 1 PAC 12. It shows.

--Yeats

10 TOs. But Duke shooting 37%. They have 6 more shots from the field than we do.

--Yeats

Mike K. working the refs.

--Yeats

The end of half officiating was a bit odd.

If we can withstand whatever push they make coming out of halftime, we have a shot.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

We have reached that point where that piece of shit is so in the officials head that they are going to call everything and sometimes call fouls when there is zero contact. This has to be expected and we need to adjust.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I like the way Bonam is playing. Other than the unnecessary double clutch that caused him to miss a layup, he's been good. I think his aggressiveness is rubbing off on Kuzma too.

So you elbow the defender to get around him and it's the defenders fault.

Kuzma.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    So you elbow the defender to get around him and it's the defenders fault.

It's great to be king.

--Yeats

The end of half officiating was a bit odd.

Riley and Soto were going nuts over it.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's great to be king.

We got the benefit of Plumlees 4th when the other guy committed the foul, so I'll take poor officiating both ways. We just have to keep pushing. It's there.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    We got the benefit of Plumlees 4th when the other guy committed the foul, so I'll take poor officiating both ways. We just have to keep pushing. It's there.

Replay he clearly got his arm. Could have been called on either guy.

He made the mistake of swatting from behind.

Replay he clearly got his arm. Could have been called on either guy.

He made the mistake of swatting from behind.

Agree.

Jordan is killing us today

You can't let up against elite teams like this. We are about to find out a lot about this team.

What that piece of shit at Duke does with officials is a disgrace to the game. He is a horrible human being. The game would be substantially better had he never been a coach. He doesn't have a single redeemable quality.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Wow. You can throw Poeltl to the floor and it's a no call. The guy runs into him on a loose ball and it's a foul on Poeltl. MSG really is their home away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    What that piece of shit at Duke does with officials is a disgrace to the game. He is a horrible human being. The game would be substantially better had he never been a coach. He doesn't have a single redeemable quality.

Lol knock it off.

The 4th foul on Plumlee was a gift for the piece of shit at Duke. Now he can do whatever he wants with no repercussions. 3 obvious fouls there, no call. They follow it up with a call on Poeltl.

--fjm.com

Now that Ratface Krzdouchebag is starting to call the game, there's no reason to watch. The outcome has been decided.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Duke's been to the line 19 times this game. Utah, 7.

--Yeats

Jordan is killing us today

One of his disappearing acts. It's just who Jordan is. But we need him on the floor, per LK.

Last edited by LA Ute; 12-19-2015 at 11:43 AM.

--Yeats