Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Madison Square Garden Rematch: Utah vs. Duke

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is why I hate Duke so much. Ratface KrzDouchebag is allowed to intimidate the officials with impunity and they cower before him.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    This is why I hate Duke so much. Ratface KrzDouchebag is allowed to intimidate the officials with impunity and they cower before him.
    This ref was horrible----made some really bad calls. The one who looked like Fred Flinstone was bad, but he was bad both ways. This guy was just out to lunch, or intimidated.

Great game. Utes have been beaten by teams that shot lights out from 3. They pressured that better this game & Duke kept trying to drive into our Bigs. Plus turnovers here were not type that turned into run-outs & easy dunks.

Tired of players like Allen & Ron Baker from WichSt who when picked flail their arms & semi-dive. Our bigs do not move, they are just big.

Our 3 spot was weak today. Loveridge is not a good defender nor rebounder--at least today. Tucker is just off---like playing 4 on 5 when he is on the court. Ogbe dressed but did not play----probably has not practiced. It would be interesting to see him at the 3, with Taylor & Bonam.

Reyes was clutch today. Jakob is really good

And Kuz finally played--now if he will just stay close to the basket & forget the 3. Very nice miss on last FT of the game.

The Garden was full, 25% Utah fans. A great game.

The better team won------is the prize we now get Frank Jackson???(or whatever his name is).

Old Standing,
    I chuckle at your statement about Loveridge. We both know Jordan simply disappears most of the time against opponents that are equal to Utah - especially on the road. We have never been able to count on his defense or rebounding. We've been surprised at times but he's disappointed in those areas. I love what Kuz and Bonham did today. I particularly loved to see defense and just toughness. I know these guys have it in them. Great way to go into the holidays and a great win to fall back on mentally as they move into the Pac-12 grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Old Standing,
    I chuckle at your statement about Loveridge. We both know Jordan simply disappears most of the time against opponents that are equal to Utah - especially on the road. We have never been able to count on his defense or rebounding. We've been surprised at times but he's disappointed in those areas. I love what Kuz and Bonham did today. I particularly loved to see defense and just toughness. I know these guys have it in them. Great way to go into the holidays and a great win to fall back on mentally as they move into the Pac-12 grind.
    It may be telling that Jordan was not on the floor the last 12 seconds of regulation. But his 6/6 free throws in OT were huge.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I'm not talking about his offense - although I think he's been more cold than hot on the road against good teams. He just doesn't rebound or defend well against good opponents. It's an aspect to his game that has been frustrating to me starting with his sophomore season. He is such a strong kid. I just wish he cared about those things as much as he does finding an open space to shoot a three.

Nice recap by ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400813751

Box score:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400813751

Interesting tidbits:

Bonam played 44 minutes, 8 more than the next-closest player, Loveridge.

Reyes pulled down 4 offensive rebounds.

Our assist-to-turnover ratio was 16-19 (Duke's was 10-5) and we still won. If we can clean up the TOs we could be very good.

Bonam blocked 4 shots to Poeltl's 3. Lorenzo was kind of a quiet force defensively.

We shot 45.2% from the floor, 16.7% from 3-pt range. (3 of 18. Ugh.)

It really is interesting that we managed to win with all those TOs and the sub-par shooting. That probably happened because our defense was stellar. Duke shot only 29.9% from the floor, 28.6% from three. We also out-rebounded them, 56-38 (a pretty big margin).

We outplayed them pretty thoroughly. Our TOs were probably the main reason they kept it close.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-19-2015 at 11:53 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Madison Square Garden Rematch: Utah vs. Duke

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Reyes pulled down 4 offensive rebounds.
    Getting offensive boards doesn't help if you brick a layup so hard it lands at the FT line. O.o

It seemed to me that Duke missed a lot of bunnies down the stretch. I don't know how much was fatigue due to a short bench and how much was short arms due to getting a lot of their shots blocked/challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I'm not talking about his offense - although I think he's been more cold than hot on the road against good teams. He just doesn't rebound or defend well against good opponents. It's an aspect to his game that has been frustrating to me starting with his sophomore season. He is such a strong kid. I just wish he cared about those things as much as he does finding an open space to shoot a three.
    I love the 3 seniors on the team, they helped turn things around; but Loveridge & Tucker both can not dribble with their left hands--which makes it tough to score. And Taylor is just too short to be a great score/passer/defender----why they were all basically no shows against another good team.

Get healthy Ogbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    I love the 3 seniors on the team, they helped turn things around; but Loveridge & Tucker both can not dribble with their left hands--which makes it tough to score. And Taylor is just too short to be a great score/passer/defender----why they were all basically no shows against another good team.

Get healthy Ogbe.
    Tucker has really struggled this year and almost cost us the Duke game. He dropped the last second inbounds pass giving Duke the ball back and on the ensuing play, used very poor judgement thinking he could somehow draw a whistle and basically flopped trying to draw a charge.

Officials rarely if ever would give you a call in that situation and by falling down, he gave the Duke player a wide open close range look to tie the game. Not a smart play by a player that is a senior.

Nice video:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell