Thread: December 19, 2015, one of the most weirdly satisfying days in Utah sports history

December 19, 2015, one of the most weirdly satisfying days in Utah sports history

I'm just putting this here as a placeholder for memory's sake--December 19, 2015 was one of the most weirdly satisfying days in Utah sports history. When I realized we were playing Duke in the Garden and BYU in the Vegas Bowl on the same day, December 19, I thought "uh oh". The odds were decidedly against it being an overall great day to be a Ute fan--1-1 or even 0-2 was a lot more likely than 2-0; 2-0 was well below 50%.

Yet, there's not been much celebration as you'd expect about 2-0. I wonder why? Is it because we've been here a lot before by now? Maybe somewhat. I think it has a lot to do how in each game Utah was in a position of improbably having the game in hand--improbable at the point in the game in which it apparently had the game in hand--and then very nearly gave up the game in bizarre or very weird even historic fashion.

Also, as Ted Miller recently wrote, playing BYU in the bowl game this year was not, at least for Ute fans, a celebratory occasion. For Ute fans it was a literally painful, joyless experience. Part of it has to do with the fact that we had hopes for getting to a Big Bowl. Part of it has to do with the fact that, for whatever psychic reasons, since Utah got into the Pac 12 its administrators and fans mostly just want to put BYU in the past. But now that we beat them, I have to say, that since we weren't in a Big Bowl, it was better to have beaten BYU than any other team that was available as an opponent.

The football team also finished with 10 wins, capping one of the best seasons in history, adding another quality win. The basketball team finally got a quality win, indeed a marquis win, this season, and may have found its point guard.

What a satisfying, albeit weirdly satisfying day for Ute fans.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-21-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Absolutely the best sports day I can recall. It would have been fun to check my blood pressure in the morning before the hoops game tipped and check it again in the last few minutes of the football game.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm just putting this here as a placeholder for memory's sake--December 19, 2105 was one of the most weirdly saisfying days in Utah sports history. When I realized we were playing Duke in the Garden and BYU in the Vegas Bowl on the same day, December 19, I thought "uh oh". The odds were decidedly against it being an overall great day to be a Ute fan--1-1 or even 0-2 was a lot more likely than 2-0; 2-0 was well below 50%.

Yet, there's not been much celebration as you'd expect about 2-0. I wonder why? Is it because we've been here a lot before by now? Maybe somewhat. I think it has a lot to do how in each game Utah was in a position of improbably having the game in hand--improbable at the point in the game in which it apparently had the game in hand--and then very nearly gave up the game in bizarre or very weird even historic fashion.

Also, as Ted Miller recently wrote, playing BYU in the bowl game this year was not, at least for Ute fans, a celebratory occasion. For Ute fans it was a literally painful, joyless experience. Part of it has to do with the fact that we had hopes for getting to a Big Bowl. Part of it has to do with the fact that, for whatever psychic reasons, since Utah got into the Pac 12 its administrators and fans mostly just want to put BYU in the past. But now that we beat them, I have to say, that since we weren't in a Big Bowl, it was better to have beaten BYU than any other team that was available as an opponent.

The football team also finished with 10 wins, capping one of the best seasons in history, adding another quality win. The basketball team finally got a quality win, indeed a marquis win, this season, and may have found its point guard.

What a satisfying, albeit weirdly satisfying day for Ute fans.
    Because the second half victory lap we should've enjoyed against BYU never materialized, and for obvious reasons.

After beating Duke and the first quarter of the bowl game, the day was looking to be a great day for Utah athletics. The rest of the bowl game was not fun at all and the win was less than satisfying. Still, winning both games is always a good thing.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

I can think of about 30 teams I would have rather played/defeated than BYU ...

Miami
    Wiscy
    Boise St

We got the equivalent of a MWC matchup on Saturday, we should win 95% of those games

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I can think of about 30 teams I would have rather played/defeated than BYU ...

Miami
    Wiscy
    Boise St

We got the equivalent of a MWC matchup on Saturday, we should win 95% of those games
    Lol, good call.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Lol, good call.
    its a team we need to settle up with, as an Oregon fan you would think you would understand.

When is the last time Oregon beat the Bronco's?

does anyone know, did we win the Beehive Boot or get Deseret Duel points?

Woo Hoo!

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    its a team we need to settle up with, as an Oregon fan you would think you would understand.

When is the last time Oregon beat the Bronco's?
    I hope we never play Boise again. Good for them they had their two moments against us. Nobody outside potato world would trade Oregon's world for Boise's.

The second half of that bowl game was a lot like the 3-0 win in Provo. I don't look back on that game with one single fond memory. My feet were frozen, and it was miserable to sit through. But hey, we won!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The second half of that bowl game was a lot like the 3-0 win in Provo. I don't look back on that game with one single fond memory. My feet were frozen, and it was miserable to sit through. But hey, we won!
    I hope you're talking about the game itself, and not lumping what we gained with that victory in there as well (which should've made the wind, cold and snow tolerable anyway). Otherwise, I'm calling total BS on that remark.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I hope you're talking about the game itself, and not lumping what we gained with that victory in there as well (which should've made the wind, cold and snow tolerable anyway). Otherwise, I'm calling total BS on that remark.
    What we gained was our first outright conference championship in over 40 years.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I enjoyed the 3-0 game, despite freezing my backside off while there as it clinched the outright conference title and ended what was then the longest streak of scoring in consecutive games.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Of course!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.