Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pease retiring, Scalley new DC

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Looks like A-Rod will continue as QB coach. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Per Whitt, the staff is complete.

Also read that Fred W had interviewed at BYU. They wanted his recruiting connections. So Kyle just went and promoted him. I love the decision. Here is to hoping we can finish strong for this class.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Per Whitt, the staff is complete.

Also read that Fred W had interviewed at BYU. They wanted his recruiting connections. So Kyle just went and promoted him. I love the decision. Here is to hoping we can finish strong for this class.
    Interesting that Kalani tried to poach Fred.

I guess Whitt is satisfied with A-Rod's work coaching the QBs (namely, Travis for the most part).

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Interesting that Kalani tried to poach Fred.

I guess Whitt is satisfied with A-Rod's work coaching the QBs (namely, Travis for the most part).
    Or perhaps he, like many fans, puts the onus on Travis' limitations and wants to see what the staff can do with someone else. Kyle strikes me as a "do your job" kind of guy. So maybe he is taking the "it's your job to fix this, so fix it" kind of approach.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Feed Whittingham to TEs/Recruiting Coordinator, Lewis Powell to DL, and Guy official.
    I like having continuity on the staff. It is nice that we don't have a ton of turnover this year, it was needed to keep things as stable as possible. The defensive staff is great. I'm happy to have Powell on the dline. If Whittingham thinks he will be a good dline coach, he will be a good dline coach. I have no reason to doubt that.

I'm incredibly underwhelmed with how the offensive staff was handled. On multiple occasions we have had a golden opportunity to bring in a QB coach to address our most glaring issue over the entire Whittingham era. We still aren't addressing that and it is concerning. I'm happy with Guy Holliday being hired. I have no opinion on Fred Whittingham Jr. Maybe he will be a great coach/recruiter, but we needed a new QB coach and we don't have one.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Overall I like the staff. I, like many Ute fans, was hoping to see a new QB coach as part of the shakeup and am a little disappointed we didn't get that. But on the whole I do think the staff got better.

Holliday has to be an upgrade over Stubblefield at WR coach, probably a significant upgrade. Stubbs had zero impact on recruiting so Holliday should be a major upgrade there. While I don't know who to blame for all of Utah's issues with WR play and the passing game in general I have to think that Holliday helps there too. (It might be simply due to recruiting better WRs, but that's fine with me).

Replacing Pease with Fred Whittingham clearly isn't an upgrade in terms of coaching, but may be a recruiting upgrade. I know the kids liked Pease and I'm sure his NFL coaching experience was helpful on the recruiting trail. But I'm not sure that many were drawn to Utah because of that. Fred gives Utah a very energetic recruiter with all of the local connections. I've heard his personality is very different from Kyle who doesn't relish recruiting as much as many coaches do.

Also, the domino effect works very well to make the coaching aspect very adequate if not an overall upgrade. Scalley won't be a better DC than Pease out of the gates but has been prepared for this moment and will still have Pease around the program as a resource. Scalley is as prepared as one can be as a first time DC. Powell also can't be considered an upgrade from Pease at DL initially but it is his natural position and he's prepared for it and simply has to maintain what has already been done. Also should still have Sione Pouha on the staff to help there. Fred Whittingham at TEs should work fine. That is a move made to get Fred in recruits' living rooms, but as a former FB and football lifer he should be able to handle the TEs just fine--shouldn't be any downgrade from Powell coaching that spot.

I'd have been elated to see Utah bring in a QB coach like Brett Elliott, move ARod to TEs and keep Fred in his old position. Hopefully the QB play picks up but we're putting a lot of eggs in the basket of "Travis Wilson was the problem and now things will be better with a new QB". The WR play should also improve with Holliday. I hope it works out and I also hope that no P5 school comes after Elliott so that we can still get him on staff in the future.

Shah and Ena with co-coach special teams. MOAR co-s!!!

Is it my imagination, or is the TE position coach the "entry level" position coach at the U?