Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pease retiring, Scalley new DC

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Do we need a recruiting coordinator? If so, can Arod do that as OC? Can Scalley keep it as DC?

Lots out names out there, and I like them all. This is more fun than the start of last year's off-season.

I still like Pouha, but the degree might be an obstacle. I've heard 3 names for wrs, but I haven't heard one name yet for qbs. Who could we chase there?
    Scalley said on 700 yesterday that someone else would take over as recruiting coordinator.

Names for QB coach: Brett Elliott, Darnell Arceneaux....Sark according to some (not me).

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Scalley said on 700 yesterday that someone else would take over as recruiting coordinator.

Names for QB coach: Brett Elliott, Darnell Arceneaux....Sark according to some (not me).
    Sark is not far-fetched. It wouldn’t be the first time Whit brought in a big name former Pac 12 coach who’d struggled with alcoholism and needed a place to dry out and stay connected with football. He recruits like crazy and was Pete's OC. I think he'd be a terrific addition.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I'm on record as pro-Sark, but it's not clear how much of a negative effect his troubles will have on his recruiting.

As long as we are mentioning old BYU QBs, where's John Beck these days?
    I believe he is in the CFL.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I'm on record as pro-Sark, but it's not clear how much of a negative effect his troubles will have on his recruiting.

As long as we are mentioning old BYU QBs, where's John Beck these days?
    With Sark's lawsuit he has effectively made himself unhireable... he's created two risks now. First he might relapse and have problems and if so, he might sue you if you have to let him go. Some schools might have been able to look past his problems or accept he was rehabilitated, but most schools can assume the extra risk he has created.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    With Sark's lawsuit he has effectively made himself unhireable... he's created two risks now. First he might relapse and have problems and if so, he might sue you if you have to let him go. Some schools might have been able to look past his problems or accept he was rehabilitated, but most schools can assume the extra risk he has created.
    And with Kyle's propensity to be conservative, it's hard to imagine he would take a risk like this...even if it could pay big dividends. I will say this, Brett Elliot has carved out a nice coaching career for himself as the Co-OC/QB Coach at JMU here in Virginia that team put up some points this year.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I'm on record as pro-Sark, but it's not clear how much of a negative effect his troubles will have on his recruiting.......

Not just recruiting kids, we're recruiting the parents as well. Parents want their kids to go to the right environment, and I'm not talking about an LDS environment, just one where the adults act like adults. The guy is a high profile lush. What parent in their right mind is gonna give him the time of day right now?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Not just recruiting kids, we're recruiting the parents as well. Parents want their kids to go to the right environment, and I'm not talking about an LDS environment, just one where the adults act like adults. The guy is a high profile lush. What parent in their right mind is gonna give him the time of day right now?
    I'm sure he quit drinking.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm sure he quit drinking.
    It's not hard to imagine Sark speaking to high school kids about the dangers of excessive drinking, helping with fundraisers for treatment programs, and the like. He could be a redemption story. It's just a question of timing. I'm just not sure Whitt wants to take that on this soon. Maybe a year or two down the road. If you talk to most recovering alcoholics (and I have worked, in a supportive role, with quite a few) they would tell you that in the early stages of recovery it's not a good idea to accept an employment position of trust. You don't need that pressure when you have just started on the road to recovery. But after establishing a track record, people in recovery can be great role models.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Brett is my top choice of the few names mentioned so far.
    I'd be happy if he was hired as Utah's QB coach. I'm not upset if the Utes hire Holliday, because you are getting a really good recruiter. I'm just worried that we are going to see the same issues on offense next year without a change of QB coach.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I'd be happy if he was hired as Utah's QB coach. I'm not upset if the Utes hire Holliday, because you are getting a really good recruiter. I'm just worried that we are going to see the same issues on offense next year without a change of QB coach.
    How about both?

I still haven't seen anything that reassures me about Poly recruits. With Kalani at BYU will Utah ever land another Poly recruit again?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I still haven't seen anything that reassures me about Poly recruits. With Kalani at BYU will Utah ever land another Poly recruit again?
    Nope. Well, none after Nacua.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Nope. Well, none after Nacua.
    Or as paraphrased from CS, "Just the dumb ones."

Or as paraphrased from CS, "Just the dumb ones."
    Smart or dumb, I just want the good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Smart or dumb, I just want the good ones.
    Get over it. It's a pipedream to think we'll get any Tongans.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

With Pouha on board (allegedly) there are a lot of local guys on staff that I vaguely know!

Scalley will do well. My general impression is that Scalley is Whittingham 20 years ago. Maybe not in personality, but certainly in terms of intelligence, toughness, and intensity.

You guys are satirizing BYU fans. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    You guys are satirizing BYU fans. Right?

You don't seem to grasp the grim reality we are facing: Our Poly pipeline is officially dead. So is any hope of our getting Texas recruits. Because Detmer.

--Yeats

You don't seem to grasp the grim reality we are facing: Our Poly pipeline is officially dead. So is any hope of our getting Texas recruits. Because Detmer.
    Not just Texas players but high school kids in general, since Detmer was such as successful high school coach. I actually saw someone on CB argue that his HS experience will be a benefit because he's had plenty of practice of dumbing down his offense from an NFL level to a HS level.

Hans claiming that the Holliday hire is a done deal.

Pease retiring, Scalley new DC

Not just Texas players but high school kids in general, since Detmer was such as successful high school coach. I actually saw someone on CB argue that his HS experience will be a benefit because he's had plenty of practice of dumbing down his offense from an NFL level to a HS level.

The BYU Rationalization Feedback Loop is in full effect right now.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if they lose a few games.

I have to say that I admire their eternal optimism. That whole Faith Based belief system does have its perks when you can apply it to every day aspects of your life.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 01-06-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Who wouldn't want to play for Heisman winner Ty Detmer? With that hire they have officially the best OC in the nation and are now the number one recruiting destination.

Did you know that Ty Detmer is 100% responsible for all of Brett Favre's success?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I'm with you, LA. I'm not going to enjoy watching my fellow Utes come back down to Earth and begin to realize the massive crater of a hole that BYU's return to glory is going to leave us in.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Who wouldn't want to play for Heisman winner Ty Detmer? With that hire they have officially the best OC in the nation and are now the number one recruiting destination.

Did you know that Ty Detmer is 100% responsible for all of Brett Favre's success?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    I heard a story that Detmer had to explain to Favre what a "nickel defense" was, during a QB meeting in Green Bay.

Normally my responses lately have been one liner jabs, but this apparently is a true story.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I heard a story that Detmer had to explain to Favre what a "nickel defense" was, during a QB meeting in Green Bay.

Normally my responses lately have been one liner jabs, but this apparently is a true story.
    See 4:45 mark of this video:

Sports Illustrated, just now:

Utah hires wide receivers coach Guy Holliday away from BYU

http://www.si.com/college-football/2...oach-utah-utes
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-06-2016 at 09:12 AM.

--Yeats

Feed Whittingham to TEs/Recruiting Coordinator, Lewis Powell to DL, and Guy official.

Didn't Powell play D line in college?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Feed Whittingham to TEs/Recruiting Coordinator, Lewis Powell to DL, and Guy official.
    Looks like A-Rod will continue as QB coach. Am I missing something?

--Yeats

I want Sark for qb coach! Sark recruited Troy Williams to UW when Williams was the number 1 rated dual threat high school quarterback in the nation and had offers from everywhere. They had known each other since Williams was 15. It would be a sweet reunion after each has experienced some unexpected challenges.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo