Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiatus in the BYU Basketball Rivalry?

Hiatus in the BYU Basketball Rivalry?

I just heard Riley read the U's press release on his show. I's surprised and disappointed but I guess I understand the decision.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This tweet has the official U. statement from LK and Hill:

https://twitter.com/espn960sports/st...75285800464384

I can't figure out how to copy the text.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I just heard Riley read the U's press release on his show. I's surprised and disappointed but I guess I understand the decision.
    When you say you understand the decision, you don't actually mean that you believe the explanation, do you?

I just spoke with an athletic's department friend and former colleague. There is nothing more to see here. Larry's statement is the exact reason why the game has been cancelled. There are some ancillary issues but nothing near as important to Larry as the player conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    When you say you understand the decision, you don't actually mean that you believe the explanation, do you?
    I do believe it. LK strikes me as a guy who says what he means. So does Rose, for that matter.

I dearly love the hoops rivalry and wish this were not happening. It seems to me that it's good for Utah to play BYU in basketball, because BYU has a solid program and win or lose, it's a good game for us to play. I'll wait to say more until we know more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

This seems lame, just lame. I'd cancel the game because their assistant coaches acted like total douche canoes during the FRENZY of Nick Emery's coldcock, but player safety? Jeeeezzzzz.

I will also say that the BYU's PR continues to amaze. Any bad news down there gets brushed away like a Rafa Araujo tatoo. Lose the Vegas Bowl? Announce your new head coach immediately. Lose a coach to Utah football? Immediately announce the cancellation of a game that you've known about for a month.

They are better at this than we are, which is probably why we have a fan base full of remarkably distressed people with a bone in the middle of their brains after a 10-3 season.

So, boo for cancelling, yay for BYU PR!

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    This seems lame, just lame. I'd cancel the game because their assistant coaches acted like total douche canoes during the FRENZY of Nick Emery's coldcock, but player safety? Jeeeezzzzz.

I will also say that the BYU's PR continues to amaze. Any bad news down there gets brushed away like a Rafa Araujo tatoo. Lose the Vegas Bowl? Announce your new head coach immediately. Lose a coach to Utah football? Immediately announce the cancellation of a game that you've known about for a month.

They are better at this than we are, which is probably why we have a fan base full of remarkably distressed people with a bone in the middle of their brains after a 10-3 season.

So, boo for cancelling, yay for BYU PR!
    Utah PR is doing some things right. Just look at LA Ute - he's taken the company story hook, line, and sinker.

If both teams make the post-season next year look for a first-round matchup. If it is the NIT it will played at the MC.

Not a fan of cancelling the game.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Utah PR is doing some things right. Just look at LA Ute - he's taken the company story hook, line, and sinker.
    LA Ute is Utah PR. He's what we've got.

I guess it's just totally clear that Krysko is just suuppper duuupper scared of all those awesome four star athletes that Rose has assembled. That's the real reason to cancel. Sure loss.

Of course, the only two of the Lone Peak All Stars that have played against Utah so far have been kicked out for being renobs, so maybe he's right to fear for the safety of his people.

I have no idea what the thinking is behind this, but I don't think it's because of how smoking hawtt BYU is next year. BYU is always smoking hawtt next year, it's usually the current year they have problems with.

Whatever the reasons, I don't like it.

I've spent some time with LK. I've spent lots of time with a lot of liars over the years too, and I don't think he is one. That doesn't mean I like the decision. I don't.

--Yeats

Larry respects the game & how it is played.
    And he tells it like it is--so if he wants to cancel it--no big deal

--who cares if we play them or not. Just another non-conference game.

The fact that Rose is talking about the money and scheduling demands he'll make if they have talks again is pretty funny.

This is a stupid decision. We cancel a non-conference game each year that will routinely draw interest from fans? This isn't football where we have such limited number of non-conference games that an occasional hiatus will become necessary.

I wanted to kick BYU's ass again next year in basketball and now we won't get to do that.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

If UNC-Duke, Kansas-Mizzou and Kentucky-Louisville can manage to survive their games, I think we can too.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

It is more that if you punch someone in basketball or football you get more than a 1 game suspension. The BYU athletic department does not get that--

it sends a bad message & shows no class---

so be done with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    It is more that if you punch someone in basketball or football you get more than a 1 game suspension. The BYU athletic department does not get that--

it sends a bad message & shows no class---

so be done with them.
    but kick someone in the groin deserves no suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I just spoke with an athletic's department friend and former colleague. There is nothing more to see here. Larry's statement is the exact reason why the game has been cancelled. There are some ancillary issues but nothing near as important to Larry as the player conduct.
    LOL @ player conduct. Like there has never been a weak punch in basektball before. Did BYU cancel after emery was punched?

Such a pussy reason

I enjoy the basketball rivalry much morethan football. So in that sense, im bummed.

On the other hand, I back Larry K and even though I may not fully agree with this, hes earned my trust.

No Utah St, and now no BYU. It's really disappointing, and the public reasoning is really weak.

Completely forgotten in this year's incident is the verbal altercation from Emery to Taylor, the specific verbiage.

Do all the angry Y fans and coaches want to have an open public discussion of recent incidents and the specific derogatory words involved?

I didn't think so.

Maybe the U should reveal the exchange, including the verbatim expression, and give BYU and the Church an opportunity to respond.

Coach K and Dr. Hill will take the heat, but this is a case of Utah doing BYU a BIG favor.

I now find the rivalry -- including this development and the juvenile responses on both sides -- depressing.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Completely forgotten in this year's incident is the verbal altercation from Emery to Taylor, the specific verbiage.

Do all the angry Y fans and coaches want to have an open public discussion of recent incidents and the specific derogatory words involved?

I didn't think so.

Maybe the U should reveal the exchange, including the verbatim expression, and give BYU and the Church an opportunity to respond.

Coach K and Dr. Hill will take the heat, but this is a case of Utah doing BYU a BIG favor.

did he say some mean things? Did he hurt his feel feels?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

I didn't think so.

Yes, let's air it all out. Including Coach K's description of BYU players to his team during the game. You know, the verbatim expression.

EDIT: And I almost forgot - I'm glad to see you still posting. I was concerned that you weren't going to make it back from Las Vegas alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Xamius View Post
    It just kills you to get Big Timed, doesn't it?

There is a readily-apparent loss of institutional control in the athletic dept in Provo. If you can regain that we will find a way to work you back into the schedule. Until you can enjoy losing your one guaranteed sellout game and most of the hype for the season. And in the immortal words of Nick Emery, "Stay the F@%# down, Bitch!"

I think the real issue is between Rose and Krysto.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I think the real issue is between Rose and Krysto.
    So that should be solved when Rose takes over for Tony Bennett, who will take over for Bo Ryan.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

but kick someone in the groin deserves no suspension

You mean when Taylor was fouled and Haws essentially fell on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    You mean when Taylor was fouled and Haws essentially fell on him?
    You are no fun at all. You appear to derive some warped form of joy from disrupting cherished narratives. What is wrong with you?

--Yeats

LOL @ player conduct. Like there has never been a weak punch in basektball before. Did BYU cancel after emery was punched?

Such a pussy reason
    No, BYU didn't cancel future games with Utah because BYU couldn't have cancelled future games. Plus, Emery wasn't punched;wasn't it a slap that didn't even connect? And in any event it was an isolated event.

All that said, I would have liked to have seen Marshall punished more. Of course, even that spineless hack Boylen was willing to eventually kick Henderson off the team.