Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiatus in the BYU Basketball Rivalry?

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    That was my point. I thought everyone outside Utefans.net had dropped Dr. Hill's bad behavior sham yesterday, but here was LA Ute posting 4-year old articles about crowd technicals.
    I love that you are bringing up Marshall Henderson when very few fans were or are okay with that. Know who else was a hothead putz when it comes to this stuff? Luca Drca who did similar low brow stuff. Both of those guys were also part of a rudderless program that nobody was happy about.

I'll admit I haven't spent much time watching but I'm not getting the vibe that any of your troo bloo cougs are even remotely embarrassed by Emery's behavior. Regardless of church affiliation you should be. As has been asked by Jarid, are you willing to admit what Emery did was indefensible?

But that is the problem with a program and fans who claim moral superiority as it is never a fight you'll win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiatus in the BYU Basketball Rivalry?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I love that you are bringing up Marshall Henderson when very few fans were or are okay with that. Know who else was a hothead putz when it comes to this stuff? Luca Drca who did similar low brow stuff. Both of those guys were also part of a rudderless program that nobody was happy about.

I'll admit I haven't spent much time watching but I'm not getting the vibe that any of your troo bloo cougs are even remotely embarrassed by Emery's behavior. Regardless of church affiliation you should be. As has been asked by Jarid, are you willing to admit what Emery did was indefensible?

But that is the problem with a program and fans who claim moral superiority as it is never a fight you'll win.

I did say, and still believe, that Emery's apology was strong and appropriate. But many BYU fans seem to ignore that the guy whose actions they either ignore or defend actually humbly apologized for those actions. But hey, he had a scratch on his neck!!!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I did say, and still believe, that Emery's apology was strong and appropriate. But many BYU fans seem to ignore that the guy whose actions they either ignore or defend actually humbly apologized for those actions. But hey, he had a scratch on his neck!!!

Well, he didn't. Saw a screen grab this week from the broadcast. No scratches just prior to his ejection.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Well, he didn't. Saw a screen grab this week from the broadcast. No scratches just prior to his ejection.

Doggone! Another part of the narrative disappears!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Henderson was a moron and a bad person. Anyone in your base willing to say the same about Emery?
    Of course they won't. To his day the fan base won't acknowledge that Wesley and Araujo were thugs.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Of course they won't. To his day the fan base won't acknowledge that Wesley and Araujo were thugs.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    And just why should the fans acknowledge those two were thugs? The coaches and administrators didn't seem to have any problems with anything they did...

So, we cancelled for next season. BYU has said the next game must be in the MC. Sounds like a 2 year "suspension", for the series.

Based on my experience with the two year hiatus in football, I'm OK with two years off in hoops. If it lasts longer, I'm OK with that, too.

Dealing with this rivalry is like being invited to a barbeque where the hosts start fighting, slamming doors, dropping F-bombs and throwing things at each other.

"Did somebody say McDonalds?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Henderson was a moron and a bad person. Anyone in your base willing to say the same about Emery?
    Are you?

Are you?
    Does it seem to you that Emery has a serious anger problem? It was clear to me Henderson had at least that.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Does it seem to you that Emery has a serious anger problem? It was clear to me Henderson had at least that.

Emery is a hot head. I think that's well established.

Hiatus in the BYU Basketball Rivalry?

They're both young guys. I'm still saying I wouldn't have made the decision LK and Hill made the same way. I would have met with Rose and Holmoe and if that didn't produce the result I wanted, then I would've decided what to do about the next game - after the season is over.

Last edited by LA Ute; 01-09-2016 at 08:18 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    When you reach a point where you are arguing the context of punches in a basketball game, you have reached the point where it is probably time to stop posting.

Mika was too. Maybe a mission will impact him in ways it obviously did not for Emery.

I have been told that Coach K will be holding a press conference tomorrow where more information is likely to come out in regards to the cancellation. Stay tuned...

Lots of rumors that the game may be back on. If true makes me think it could have reverberations for CH's and Lk's careers at the U.

It is an even worse PR move to put the game back on, in my opinion.

I listened to Rose on 1280 after the announcement and at first it was compelling and then ultimately his interview put a bad taste in my mouth. He came of as whiny and really lowered himself a level in what he said. Lots of it was appropriate for private talk among friends, not as a public statement.

If the stories I've heard of why this decision was made (basically Rose snubbing Kodiak) and the fact that Kodiak has taken the heat for being vague on his reasoning, after that interview I would hope he explains further.

If Rose didn't have the courtesy to call him back as has been claimed I'd be doing the exact same thing.

Whether you want to keep the game or not there is one overlying fact, right now BYU needs Utah, but Utah does not need BYU.

There are two legitimate aspects to this:

1. What the fans and public want.

2. What is best for the basketball team.

I didn't watch the game, but reading about the BYU - Univ of San Francisco game last night, where defense was apparently in short supply and long range bombing carried the game for the Cougs, 102-92, I'm even more convinced that playing a team with that style is of minimal benefit to Utah, in preparing for PAC-12 play. There are no Paul Westhead-style Loyola Marymount teams in the PAC-12.

More strategically, knowing the intensity and potential for injuries from cheap shots in a powder keg rivalry with low basketball development dividends, how is Larry supposed to explain an injury from that kind of game to the parents of Jacob Poeltl?

The way things have gone since 2010, we've now been in the PAC-12 for 5 years, and BYU is still stuck in 2010... and still extremely angry about it.

This is not a good set of ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Lots of rumors that the game may be back on. If true makes me think it could have reverberations for CH's and Lk's careers at the U.

What?

I don't think that's what is happening here. I believe the PC is to clarify, not to capitulate.

That would be good news. Level heads carrying the day.

LOL. Maybe he meant to post the article about Utah fans being penalized with a Technical foul for throwing things onto the court last month.
    I was at the game when that happened. They announced twice that Utah's crowd would get a T if anything was thrown on the floor. I mentioned to the BYI fans next to me that that would be an open invitation for one of the many BYI fans in attendance to throw something on the floor so Utah would get a T.

It happened a few minutes later. I have no idea who threw the object but think it was just as likely a BYI fan as it was a Utah fan.

At least Emery's "violent" slap came during the flow of on-court play instead of after the whistle like Marshall Henderson's. At the time, Henderson's punch was described as "a freshman doing freshmen things." But now Emery is a dastardly villan intent on inflicting maximum violence.

Are you really still promoting this fake narrative of player safety and fans behaving badly? I thought everyone had finally dropped that flimsy disguise by about 2:00 yesterday afternoon.
    Nick Emery is a 21 year old returned missionary, not a true 18 year old freshman. It wasn't a "slap", it was an obvious punch followed by him yelling at Taylor, "and stay down bitch" while going back up the court. As if that wasn't embarrassing enough, he continued his embarrassing lack of control and sportsmanship by pointing at and yelling expletive es at Utah's bench and coaching staff while the play was being reviewed. Rose didn't say anything to him while this was happening from what I saw. Are you saying as a BYU fan you like and condone that type of behavior?

You have just displayed the problem with this entire situation. You excuse his behavior away as a freshman mistake and try to compare it to a true freshman hothead a (and troubled alcoholic) Marshall Henderson. Are your standards and the bar for player restraint and sportsmanship so low at BYU that you think a 21 year old RM representing himself and his church's school should be held to the same standard as the most notorious bad boy seen at Utah (and nationally) in two decades?

It is interesting to note that the most recent event involving bad behavior and poor sportsmanship leading to an ejection was Emery's high school teammate, Eric Mika two seasons ago. What is it about Utah County LDS culture that breeds these kind of elitist brats that seem to have never learned sportsmanship and respect for the game? I'm LDS and as much as I hate to admit it, poor sportsmanship and whiny behavior seems to be part of our sports culture. Ward basketball is exhibit 1a. It is,amplified at BYU particularly with all those pampered Lone Peak brats on BYU's roster.

At least Emery's "violent" slap came during the flow of on-court play instead of after the whistle like Marshall Henderson's. At the time, Henderson's punch was described as "a freshman doing freshmen things." But now Emery is a dastardly villan intent on inflicting maximum violence.

Are you really still promoting this fake narrative of player safety and fans behaving badly? I thought everyone had finally dropped that flimsy disguise by about 2:00 yesterday afternoon.
    Nick Emery is a 21 year old returned missionary, not a true 18 year old freshman. It wasn't a "slap", it was an obvious punch followed by him yelling at Taylor, "and stay down bitch" while going back up the court. As if that wasn't embarrassing enough, he continued his embarrassing lack of control and sportsmanship by pointing at and yelling expletive es at Utah's bench and coaching staff while the play was being reviewed. Rose didn't say anything to him while this was happening from what I saw. Are you saying as a BYU fan you like and condone that type of behavior?

You have just displayed the problem with this entire situation. You excuse his behavior away as a freshman mistake and try to compare it to a true freshman hothead a (and troubled alcoholic) Marshall Henderson. Are your standards and the bar for player restraint and sportsmanship so low at BYU that you think a 21 year old RM representing himself and his church's school should be held to the same standard as the most notorious bad boy seen at Utah (and nationally) in two decades?

It is interesting to note that the most recent event involving bad behavior and poor sportsmanship leading to an ejection was Emery's high school teammate, Eric Mika two seasons ago. What is it about Utah County LDS culture that breeds these kind of elitist brats that seem to have never learned sportsmanship and respect for the game? I'm LDS and as much as I hate to admit it, poor sportsmanship and whiny behavior seems to be part of our sports culture. Ward basketball is exhibit 1a. It is,amplified at BYU particularly with all those pampered Lone Peak brats on BYU's roster.

This is true. Whatsisname Emery is a 'freshman' but he is only a few months younger than Brandon Taylor, who turned 22 last Fri.

There is zero benefit to scheduling the game now. In fact, it will show that Chris Hill and Larry Krystkowiak have no support and are not able to call out obvious bad sportsmanship (speaking of the taunting and yelling at the coaches and players, and not of the punch itself).

I could see Larry acknowledging that as a player, he was as physical as anyone else, but in recruiting high end players like Poeltl, it's apparent that hockey-style basketball is not where the future lies.

Physical basketball? Sure. The weight room is where it's at, anymore. But over the top anger and fisticuffs? How can you defend that to the parents of a high end recruit, especially since we don't see that level of borderline insanity in the PAC-12.

My guess is that the press conference will be to clarify. I seriously doubt that there will be simple capitulation. I could see a deal being made to put the game back on the schedule, but only with some acknowledgement by BYU that on-line court behavior must and will improve. Otherwise you are right about career implications.

I think it's more likely that the U. will try to get off the defensive side of this and will lay out its position, fill in some context, and perhaps extend an olive branch -- i.e., retake the high ground. So far Rose et al. have not had to account for themselves. For example, Rose doesn't call LK back, chooses the timing of the announcement, and acts like the victim (and gets away with it). If, under those circumstances, Hill and Larry simply give in, then you're right, this is a bad situation for both of them.

--Yeats

What worries me most about this ongoing drama is that Larry may start thinking that the power structure in the State of Utah is too Mickey Mouse for him.

--Yeats

Isn't tomorrow LK'S weekly Monday press conference? It seems doubtful that this is a presser called only to make an announcement on the topic of the BYU game. The subject will obviously come up, of course.

--Yeats

I hope we have a 'Thanks for showing up, Gordon' moment in the presser. Followed by a statement commending the good sportsmanship of our PAC-12 brethren.