Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Hiatus in the BYU Basketball Rivalry?

Hiatus in the BYU Basketball Rivalry?

This is over a year old, and now the scab has been pulled off. The smart thing for everyone associated with the U to do now is to declare this controversy old news and shut up about it.

If Hughes is capable of being embarrassed, this would be a good time to feel that way. For a guy in his position to engage in an email war like this with a public figure's spouse is beyond foolish.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-25-2017 at 05:34 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Then how does someone like Hughes get elected Speaker of the House?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same as everywhere else. Suck nine yards of cock.

Speaking rhetorically, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Do people in Seattle elect based off of school fandom? Plus Greg Hughes's district borders Utah county.

I stand by what I said because it is correct. East bench SLC is mostly Utah fans.

I'm not saying it has anything to do with fandom. You're saying that Hughes is an asshole but his constitutents are not. He seems to be the way he is without fear of political consequences. I'm asking what that actually means about the proportion of assholes among his constitutents.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I'm not saying it has anything to do with fandom. You're saying that Hughes is an asshole but his constitutents are not. He seems to be the way he is without fear of political consequences. I'm asking what that actually means about the proportion of assholes among his constitutents.
    I'm saying it is spurious to think he is elected or not over this issue. I'm also saying he isn't a representative of constituents in SLC either, so it wouldn't matter anyway. Mainly I'm saying that an imagined blowback on Kodiak's wife and kids from neighbors, associates and classmates isn't likely to happen in any meaningful way.

He's in a totally safe district. He'd have to be caught naked on the front lawn of his house with an equally naked intern to lose his seat. That's why he knows he can get away with sending such emails.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'm saying it is spurious to think he is elected or not over this issue. I'm also saying he isn't a representative of constituents in SLC either, so it wouldn't matter anyway. Mainly I'm saying that an imagined blowback on Kodiak's wife and kids from neighbors, associates and classmates isn't likely to happen in any meaningful way.

Okay

One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Hughes checks a the boxes to get reelected in Utah:

1- Republican
    2- über Mormon
    3-Republican
    4- looks great in a suit
    5- priesthood leadership
    6- gets his face on the news
    7- Republican
    8- temple recommend holder
    9- Republican
    10- something something Republican something something Mormon.

This particular list is exceptionally overrepresented in Utah politics, but this is the type of person who makes it through the neighborhood caucus meetings.

Hughes probably bribed people to become speaker of the house.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

The young Kristkowiak girls go to the same private school as my 12 year old daughter. NO one there will give them any guff. They are in the lower school which goes up to grade 5. I believe his older boys go to public high school and play basketball. I wouldn't expect them go get any blowback either.

Quote Originally Posted by SheeeeeUTE View Post
    The young Kristkowiak girls go to the same private school as my 12 year old daughter. NO one there will give them any guff. They are in the lower school which goes up to grade 5. I believe his older boys go to public high school and play basketball. I wouldn't expect them go get any blowback either.
    Good. I hope this embarrassing episode simply dies.

--Yeats

Then how does someone like Hughes get elected Speaker of the House?

Gerrymandering. Plain and simple.

It's the same way that 20% of Utah is active LDS yet 90%+ of the legislature is active LDS.

Is there a state that has a legislature less representative of their constituents?