Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Memoriam - 2016 Obituaries

Wolf Blitzen fondly remembers the Prince classic Purple Haze.

http://gawker.com/wolf-blitzer-fondl...rpl-1772313930

In a long list of musician palmarés, my wife hung out with Prince in a small DC club when she lived there circa 2002. He even bought her a drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Wolf Blitzen fondly remembers the Prince classic Purple Haze.

http://gawker.com/wolf-blitzer-fondl...rpl-1772313930

In a long list of musician palmarés, my wife hung out with Prince in a small DC club when she lived there circa 2002. He even bought her a drink.

Lots of old rock stars dying this year. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Lots of old rock stars dying this year. Damn.
    2016 brought to you by: George RR Martin

Former WWE Wrestler, the "9th wonder of the world" Chyna also died yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Former WWE Wrestler, the "9th wonder of the world" Chyna also died yesterday
    Comment I heard yesterday:
    The irony of Prince and Chyna passing on the same day? They are most masculine and feminine performers I've ever known.

Kimbo Slice, 42.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Long time ESPN journalist and host John Saunders passed away at 61. I record and watch the sports reporters every week. Big loss for the sports journalism community.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Long time ESPN journalist and host John Saunders passed away at 61. I record and watch the sports reporters every week. Big loss for the sports journalism community.

Wow. I hadn't heard this. I didn't know he was ill.

A big loss indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Wow. I hadn't heard this. I didn't know he was ill.

A big loss indeed.
    I'm not even sure he was. I wonder if it was a Denny Green heart attack situation. I think he hosted this past week...or the week before.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I'm not even sure he was. I wonder if it was a Denny Green heart attack situation. I think he hosted this past week...or the week before.
    Hannah Storm announcing it on the air:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17...&ex_cid=espnfb

It was cancer, reportedly.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Didn't he just retire last week? That is sad. He was one of the best.

2016 sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Hannah Storm announcing it on the air:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17...&ex_cid=espnfb

It was cancer, reportedly.
    That's crazy.

Arnold Palmer, dies at 87.

Jose Fernandez, dies at 24. Incredibly tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Arnold Palmer, dies at 87.

I have a great Arnold Palmer story. Disclaimer: I did not see this first hand as it was before my time at the company, but I heard it from Lanny Nielson our golf pro.

Back in the day, I worked at a small, privately held video game company named Access Software. Our primary product was a game named Links. It was a PC golfing game and we were able to negotiate a promotional contract with Arnold Palmer to be on the cover of the game and in the game. To be in the video game, we had to do video captures of his various swings (his signature drive, fairway shots, bunker chips, putting, etc.) as well as record lines of vocal reactions to various types of shots, good and bad.

During the vocal recording we wanted to get an extremely negative vocal reaction. To get Arnold in the proper mind set, our audio guy suggests a reaction Arnold would give should he miss a 3' putt to win the Masters. He gets his mind ready, and we start recording, at which point Arnold launches into a profanity laced tirade. Needless to say his PR guy utterly panics and jumps in yelling "You can't use that!" Of course our game was targeted to a wide demographic, so we agreed that it wasn't really what we were looking for. So we ask him to tone it down a bit, something less intense. Take 2, and we get a less intense tirade, still laced with a few well placed expletives.

It took a few takes, but we finally got something we could work with.

Talking with people who actually worked in shooting and recording Arnold, he was nothing but a complete joy to work with. He apparently had quite the sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I have a great Arnold Palmer story. Disclaimer: I did not see this first hand as it was before my time at the company, but I heard it from Lanny Nielson our golf pro.

Back in the day, I worked at a small, privately held video game company named Access Software. Our primary product was a game named Links. It was a PC golfing game and we were able to negotiate a promotional contract with Arnold Palmer to be on the cover of the game and in the game. To be in the video game, we had to do video captures of his various swings (his signature drive, fairway shots, bunker chips, putting, etc.) as well as record lines of vocal reactions to various types of shots, good and bad.

During the vocal recording we wanted to get an extremely negative vocal reaction. To get Arnold in the proper mind set, our audio guy suggests a reaction Arnold would give should he miss a 3' putt to win the Masters. He gets his mind ready, and we start recording, at which point Arnold launches into a profanity laced tirade. Needless to say his PR guy utterly panics and jumps in yelling "You can't use that!" Of course our game was targeted to a wide demographic, so we agreed that it wasn't really what we were looking for. So we ask him to tone it down a bit, something less intense. Take 2, and we get a less intense tirade, still laced with a few well placed expletives.

It took a few takes, but we finally got something we could work with.

Talking with people who actually worked in shooting and recording Arnold, he was nothing but a complete joy to work with. He apparently had quite the sense of humor.
    I absolutely loved that game, I still have all the courses as files on my computer just in case one day the game becomes available again. I loved the build a course feature and loved playing all the famous courses. That Links game was simply the best golf game ever, period. Of all time. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    I absolutely loved that game, I still have all the courses as files on my computer just in case one day the game becomes available again. I loved the build a course feature and loved playing all the famous courses. That Links game was simply the best golf game ever, period. Of all time. Period.
    I think Take-2 (parent company to Rockstar of GTA) owns the rights now. I don't know if they'll do anything with it. I hope they do one day.

Did you ever play any of the Tex Murphy games? There was a Kickstarter to reboot that recently. I think they got their funding. I'll have to look.

RIP, Leonard Cohen.

Alan Thicke, 69, died of a heart attack earlier this week, and Craig Sager, 65 died today from Cancer.