Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sticking it to the Smart Kids - Cal and Stanford visit SLC

Kuzma was 11-32 from 3 last year. This year he is 5-32. The good news is he has played almost twice as many minutes this year as he did all of last year, so he's at least cut his attempts in half.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Kuzma was 11-32 from 3 last year. This year he is 5-32. The good news is he has played almost twice as many minutes this year as he did all of last year, so he's at least cut his attempts in half.
    I will bet that his misses last year managed to at least hit the rim more often than his misses this year, too.

Drew Hansen once told me that only a few players on Majerus's teams were allowed to shoot threes. But it was Giac who referred to that permission as a "license." I am 100% sure Kuzma would have been on Big Rick's "no threes" list.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Drew Hansen once told me that only a few players on Majerus's teams were allowed to shoot threes. But it was Giac who referred to that permission as a "license." I am 100% sure Kuzma would have been on Big Rick's "no threes" list.
    And Brickkott.

I love that Kuzma is giving us near double/doubles each game. That said, his outside shot is broken. What troubles me is that the shot was broken when he came to us. I wish we/he had the desire and expertise to change it. His release is really quite good but the trajectory he creates by starting the shot across his body screws everything up. I think he's becoming a solid player even with that fundamental problem.

I agree with Blender's frustration regarding the refs and Brown last night. While Brown is a terrific player, he also had Loveridge on him a good percentage of the time. Several times in the game, Jordan went under screens and Brown immediately took the shot. This may be where Ogbe's absence hurts us the most. Larry is using Tucker more at the two in the substitution pattern. With Ogbe, he could use Tucker and Ogbe at the three a little more.

Loveridge has been frustrating these last two games after playing very well against WSU. He was three for 11 with two rebounds in 40 MINUTES against Washington. Yes, two rebounds. Last night? In 27 minutes he scores three points and grabs four rebounds. At least he doubled his rebound total. I don't want to blame him too much for Brown's point totals because, like Blender said, Brown had officiating benefits and we clearly didn't want Matthews and others to hurt us from the three-point line. I just wish Jordan would show more commitment to defense and rebounding and I don't understand why Coach K doesn't hold him more accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    And Brickkott.
    Brekkott is a career 38% shooter from 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I love that Kuzma is giving us near double/doubles each game. That said, his outside shot is broken. What troubles me is that the shot was broken when he came to us. I wish we/he had the desire and expertise to change it. His release is really quite good but the trajectory he creates by starting the shot across his body screws everything up. I think he's becoming a solid player even with that fundamental problem.

I agree with Blender's frustration regarding the refs and Brown last night. While Brown is a terrific player, he also had Loveridge on him a good percentage of the time. Several times in the game, Jordan went under screens and Brown immediately took the shot. This may be where Ogbe's absence hurts us the most. Larry is using Tucker more at the two in the substitution pattern. With Ogbe, he could use Tucker and Ogbe at the three a little more.

Loveridge has been frustrating these last two games after playing very well against WSU. He was three for 11 with two rebounds in 40 MINUTES against Washington. Yes, two rebounds. Last night? In 27 minutes he scores three points and grabs four rebounds. At least he doubled his rebound total. I don't want to blame him too much for Brown's point totals because, like Blender said, Brown had officiating benefits and we clearly didn't want Matthews and others to hurt us from the three-point line. I just wish Jordan would show more commitment to defense and rebounding and I don't understand why Coach K doesn't hold him more accountable.
    To me, Loveridge's problem is that he is just not quick enough against teams like Cal (i.e., most teams). He has a bunch of open looks at the 3 but can't get a shot off quickly. He tries to penetrate, but doesn't have a first step to get past a defender. He is a fraction late on defense, which leads to the whistle, or to the opponent having an open look for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Brekkott is a career 38% shooter from 3.
    Which makes his 17% for the season before the game all the more frustrating. But 100% last night, so there's hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Which makes his 17% for the season before the game all the more frustrating. But 100% last night, so there's hope!
    Tommy Conner on the post game mentioned Brekkott has struggled in practice too with his shot

You could see how fired up Brekkott was to see this shots go in. Hopefully it helps his confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan is kind of the Travis Wilson of our basketball team. [Edit: As DrumNFeather has said.]
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-28-2016 at 01:12 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Jordan is kind of the Travis Wilson of our basketball team.

Stop stealing my lines!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Stop stealing my lines!
    Edited. Humble apology offered.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I agree with you. I don't think there is a lack of effort or a lack or accountability or a lack or anything besides athleticism.
    There's also a lack of options on the bench right now. Without Ogbe and with Bealer* and Wright being essentially unplayable we have Tucker as our only backup at the 1, 2 and 3 (he doesn't play 1 obviously but you know what I mean). If Larry wanted to punish Jordan there's really nowhere to go with his minutes.

I'll also add that even when Jordan doesn't play well (which he didn't last night) you can see the effect he has on the game. It's kind of like having a deep threat in football--you don't have to complete a lot of passes to him for him to impact the defense. You could see Cal making a concerted effort not to leave Jordan on the perimeter and that helped open the lanes for Bonam and Taylor to drive and dish all night.

*Speaking of Bealer, I haven't caught Larry's radio show or press conferences the last few weeks. Has he addressed that situation at all? Is there any hope for Bealer? Or do we think we're looking at a post-season transfer? He's got a lot of physical talent but Larry doesn't seem to have much patience with guys who don't fit.

Gents,
    While I agree that Jordan has some physical limitations now that we play a Pac-12 schedule, I do think there is an effort issue and I do think there is a lack of accountability. The argument for the former is clear, Jordan plays very well against WAC-level competition and lower. To the latter statement, I go with my own eyes as I continually watch him ignore/forget defensive game planning and simply stand and spectate far too much when he should be pursuing a rebound, help-defending or just getting into a stance on his own man.

I beat him up too much. I'm grateful, like so many of you, that he chose Utah. I think he's willingly, particularly these last few games, setting aside personal offensive stats for the betterment of the team. These guys finally seem to realize the ball must go through Poeltl with a nice mix of Bonham driving. That means a few less shots a night for Jordan. I just believe, even acknowledging some physical shortcomings, Jordan should have a greater impact defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Gents,
    While I agree that Jordan has some physical limitations now that we play a Pac-12 schedule, I do think there is an effort issue and I do think there is a lack of accountability. The argument for the former is clear, Jordan plays very well against WAC-level competition and lower. To the latter statement, I go with my own eyes as I continually watch him ignore/forget defensive game planning and simply stand and spectate far too much when he should be pursuing a rebound, help-defending or just getting into a stance on his own man.

I beat him up too much. I'm grateful, like so many of you, that he chose Utah. I think he's willingly, particularly these last few games, setting aside personal offensive stats for the betterment of the team. These guys finally seem to realize the ball must go through Poeltl with a nice mix of Bonham driving. That means a few less shots a night for Jordan. I just believe, even acknowledging some physical shortcomings, Jordan should have a greater impact defensively.
    One JL image is burned into my mind: Very near the disastrous end of the Stanford game, Rosco Allen blows right by Jordan for a thunderous dunk that got the crowd roaring and pretty much broke Utah's back. Chapman, who had Allen, falls down. Jordan is the last man between Allen and the basket, plays matador. That bit is at about 1:34 on this clip:

Maybe I am being too hard on him but that was a very disappointing play. It brought Stanford to within 2 points and things went downhill from there.

--Yeats

Sticking it to the Smart Kids - Cal and Stanford visit SLC

One JL image is burned into my mind: Very near the disastrous end of the Stanford game, Rosco Allen blows right by Jordan for a thunderous dunk that got the crowd roaring and pretty much broke Utah's back. Chapman, who had Allen, falls down. Jordan is the last man between Allen and the basket, plays matador. That bit is at about 1:34 on this clip:

Maybe I am being too hard on him but that was a very disappointing play. It brought Stanford to within 2 points and things went downhill from there.
    Wow. That was bad. One episode from last night that stood out, was when he ducked under a screen, only to have his guy come around the screen driving to the basket, seeming to somehow surprise Loveridge who ended up tripping over his own feet, falling down, fouling in the process and leaving the player with a wide open look at the basket to earn the And 1. If I remember correctly, this got Cal as close as they got in the second half of the second half.

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 01-28-2016 at 06:28 PM.

Loveridge has put on some weight this year, so he is not quick. He has developed the ability to ball fake & drive, but when on the move he throws the ball at the basket rather than shooting it. (he must have small hands). He can stop & pull up & shoot & that is not a bad move. He is still the best option at 3 because as noted the other teams game plan to have someone always close to him. Bealer is not as good a defender--believe it or not.
    Bealer is smart---on the Dean's list last year, but he just does not get down (literally) & defend. So he sits.

In defense of Reyes--who is tough & rebounds, both of those ugly shots were near the end of the shot clock---the guards set him up to fail. He has trouble close to the basket as he has no lift & rushes his shot so it won't get blocked. he is not bad at about 6-8 feet--he hit one last night, but that is his range.

Brekkott has no arc on his shot--it is very flat. So it goes in pure or not at all--he never gets a shooter's bounce because of his flat shot. Jakob has learned to put arc on his FT's--but it is different for Brekkott when shooting on the move.
    Tucker shoots the ball with no spin---almost like a knuckleball so he also does not get friendly bounces.

Taylor is best when moving forward & shooting. He tries to go left & stop & at shoot--& since he is right handed--he usually misses.

Kuz is putting some arc on his FT's--they looked much better last night. Maybe there is hope for his shot after a summer of shooting several thousand.

Hope JoJo Zamora can shoot as well as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Very nice win last night. This team has always had an ability to look fantastic for a stretch and then turn around and look like garbage for a few minutes and that was really magnified last night. Of course Cal deserves some credit in that. I don't know if this team can find an answer for those in-game slumps or if that's just who we are this year.

The second half defensive strategy appeared to take our chances with Brown going 1-on-1 but not leave any shooters open. It worked, but man Brown is punishing. It helped that he got a lot of calls anytime he initiated some contact with a stationary or back-pedaling defender.

One of Utah's formerly crappy coaches (can't remember if it was Giac or Boylen) used to require players to earn a license to shoot 3s by hitting a certain percentage. Kuzma needs to have his license revoked. Wow! He's doing a good job overall and he can work on his 3s and come back next season (when he may very well be our go-to guy) but for this season we need to retire that shot. Reyes also should have lost his license to shoot layups after he once again managed to shoot a layup off the glass and not even draw iron.

I thought Brekkot played his best game of the year and of course Taylor was very good. It seems like this team runs action specifically to get shots for Loveridge and Taylor but not Tucker, which is weird.

The lack of depth on this team is concerning. Strangely, it's wing and guard where we are thinnest right now.
    If Kuzma is our "go to" guy next year, better just plan for a rebuild and a.500 record. He is a very good garbage man type player right now but very spotty and inconsistent. Without Poetl drawing double teams allowing him some good open looks or chances to get stick backs, I'm not confident he would be as effective.

Now if he could develop a decent mid-range and 3 point game, he may be able to step up to that role. As of right now, however, he is severely lacking in those areas.

Oh yah...not even close, unless something drastic happens.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    If Kuzma is our "go to" guy next year, better just plan for a rebuild and a.500 record. He is a very good garbage man type player right now but very spotty and inconsistent. Without Poetl drawing double teams allowing him some good open looks or chances to get stick backs, I'm not confident he would be as effective.

Now if he could develop a decent mid-range and 3 point game, he may be able to step up to that role. As of right now, however, he is severely lacking in those areas.

Last minute opportunity: Anyone want 4 good tickets to the Stanford game? PM me immediately.

--Yeats

Last minute opportunity: Anyone want 4 good tickets to the Stanford game? PM me immediately.
    Would you throw in plane tickets with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Would you throw in plane tickets with them?
    I was willing to have you beamed west to SLC but Scotty is out sick today.

image.jpg

--Yeats

A 10-15 point win here would be very satisfying.

--Yeats

A 10-15 point win here would be very satisfying.
    Now Stanfurd is threatening to creep back into it. I take it back! Just win! No margin required!

--Yeats

Maybe Kuz should just lay it up or try some finger rolls. How many embarrassing blown dunks does he need?

--Yeats

Dawkins is killing me. Longer to play 3 minutes than the entire first half I swear

Yup...our 4's are not leapers.

Maybe Kuz should just lay it up or try some finger rolls. How many embarrassing blown dunks does he need?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Dawkins is killing me. Longer to play 3 minutes than the entire first half I swear

What do you think was said in that post game exchange? Seems like he and Larry always have something to say to each other.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    What do you think was said in that post game exchange? Seems like he and Larry always have something to say to each other.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    I doubt it's anything other than praising the other's team. They've known each other a long time. They were teammates in San Antonio the first couple of years they were in the league.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

This was a nice win. It keeps the Utes within a game from Oregon and keeps building momentum.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith