Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: 2017 Recruiting Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The only kid who really moves the needle is Tufele. The other guys are guys. IMO Utah's coaches focus too much on Utah.

I fail to see the need to sign kids from Utah. Would it be nice? I guess, but at the end of the day, whose the Utah man - Marcus Williams or the Barton kid from Bountiful who went to Stanford? I could care less if a kid is from the State of Utah. Can he play? Does he want to play at Utah? Is he a good kid? Any kid who checks those boxes is good for me.
    I agree that just signing someone because he is from Utah is stupid. I'm not saying anything about our recruiting this year: it was great. Its just that if we get a couple of highly ranked guys from Utah to stay home, IN ADDITION to the players from Texas, California, Hawaii, and wherever, then we have that much better of a class. For the poster who says "who would you take, Barton from Stanford or m Williams?" I say, "why choose? I want them both."

Maybe I'm just greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I agree that just signing someone because he is from Utah is stupid. I'm not saying anything about our recruiting this year: it was great. Its just that if we get a couple of highly ranked guys from Utah to stay home, IN ADDITION to the players from Texas, California, Hawaii, and wherever, then we have that much better of a class. For the poster who says "who would you take, Barton from Stanford or m Williams?" I say, "why choose? I want them both."

Maybe I'm just greedy.
    I think we all want the best players possible. There appear to be many people who are concerned that we didn't sign a certain number of kids from the State of Utah. I don't care about that and believe that at times, the Utah staff reaches on kids from Utah just because they are from Utah.

I think a problem Utah will always have is that there is still a small town mentality here. We all dream of bigger things, and romanticize how great things are out of state. The kids dream of getting out of Utah, away from parents, religion, etc.

That will always be a hurdle.

Also, it took BYU 20 years to build loyalty among local kids.

We've been good for 10 years. We are halfway there. We've got to win the stinking south.

I think we all want the best players possible. There appear to be many people who are concerned that we didn't sign a certain number of kids from the State of Utah. I don't care about that and believe that at times, the Utah staff reaches on kids from Utah just because they are from Utah.
    it appears to me that the talent in the state is limited by position. Utah should concentrate on getting the best in state OL, DL and linebackers. There are good lineman in this state and if they are mission kids even better (helps them get bigger and stronger).

However, (with the exception of Chase Hansen and Covey) I don't want Utah to focus on getting skill positions locally. And when we do, if they mission that's concerning. Historically our best skill position players have all been out of state. Can anyone even think of a skill player that Utah missed on that's had success at the D1 level elsewhere? Maybe Luke Falk, but I'm convinced he's a system QB. Maybe Kevin Curtis 20 years ago? I can't think of a single BYU skill player from the State of Utah over the last 15 years that I wish would have signed with Utah (but I'm probably forgetting 1 or 2).
    Last edited by Scorcho; 02-06-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Maybe I'm just greedy.
    The problem is Utah is the kind of place you leave. What did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I don't understand all this talk still about Sitaki's recruiting prowess. Utah got half a dozen polys with fine offer lists. The recruiting services ranked BYU 62-70. Over on CS, cougunkie, the world's biggest BYU homer, said "Utah kicked our ass" and BYU lost out on some head to heads with Utah State.

One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

This notion that Utah needs to get the lion's share of the top ten in-state is asinine. First, most of the top ten in-state aren't as good as the top 50-70 or so in Texas or California or Florida. Second, if a Utah kid is special and has the notion that he wants to leave the state and experience the bright lights, or just something different, god bless him, it's an understandable sentiment and I can't argue with him. Third, we aren't going to compete with USC or Stanford for kids in the second category, which, frankly, are probably the majority of kids with lots of options. Fourth, the kids that go to BYU are deeply committed to that culture. They are going there because of the honor code, not in spite of it. We can't compete with that either. BYU will always get a couple of top ten kids for that reason alone and no other. Those are hard facts.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-06-2017 at 11:56 PM.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Marc Jackson is the most underrated player in state of Utah history. Sitaki is the most overrated coach in state of Utah history. He won't smell BM's success.

But the best thing is if BYU just continues to die a slow death under him. I'd hate to see him get fired before long and have BYU hire Navy's coach or someone else really good who can win with limited resources.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    But the best thing is if BYU just continues to die a slow death under him.
    I think this is the most likely outcome. It's not certain, though, like it was with bronco.

He won't smell BM's
    Heh heh.

SeattleUte is mostly right: Utah will rarely win recruiting battles against USC and Stanford; Byu has a pull for a certain segment society; and kids want to go out of state (I'm guilty of this as well). But I don't think it is crazy to redouble our efforts on in-state kids. The top ten in the state might not be up to snuff with Florida and Texas, but they are still really good players (for the most part). I think if we continue to have out-of-state success, if we improve in our own backyard (hell, if we just cleaned up on the East High recruits) we'd be that much deeper.

SeattleUte is mostly right: Utah will rarely win recruiting battles against USC and Stanford; Byu has a pull for a certain segment society; and kids want to go out of state (I'm guilty of this as well). But I don't think it is crazy to redouble our efforts on in-state kids. The top ten in the state might not be up to snuff with Florida and Texas, but they are still really good players (for the most part). I think if we continue to have out-of-state success, if we improve in our own backyard (hell, if we just cleaned up on the East High recruits) we'd be that much deeper.
    The coaches aren't trying as hard as they can for in-state players? What are they supposed to "redouble"?

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

The coaches aren't trying as hard as they can for in-state players? What are they supposed to "redouble"?

No, silly, they are trying hard. I'm suggesting the coaches try a different strategy with in-state kids. (They are undoubtedly ahead of fans on this).

...Sitaki...won't smell BM's success....

I tend to agree. Bronco won 99 games in 11 years, at a 70 percent clip. That's a dang fine job. I just don't see Provo catching lightning in a bottle 3 out of the last 4 hires.

Edit: Holy crap, I just checked their 2017 schedule. They end the season with arguably 6 layups in a row, plus Portland State and USU -- maybe 9 a year IS reasonable with that type of schedule. That schedule certainly isn't shooting for the stars.
    Last edited by mUUser; 02-07-2017 at 02:08 PM.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

No, silly, they are trying hard. I'm suggesting the coaches try a different strategy with in-state kids. (They are undoubtedly ahead of fans on this).
    Current strategy - build strong relationship with kid and family and emphasize ability to play in front of friends and family.

New strategy - tell them to get on board or get screwed.

It's crazy to think that if BYU goes 2-3 against LSU, Utah, Wisconsin, Boise, and Miss. St. (which is very doable) then they will finish with 10 regular season wins you'll be hearing all about how incredible they are.

Current strategy - build strong relationship with kid and family and emphasize ability to play in front of friends and family.

New strategy - tell them to get on board or get screwed.

I wonder if the early signing peiod will help with that. Maybe it makes it harder for USC to swoop in at the last moment now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I wonder if the early signing peiod will help with that. Maybe it makes it harder for USC to swoop in at the last moment now and again.
    I wondered that as well when I heard that Tufele went from Utah to USC two days before signing day. My gut tells me that the four/five star kids still opt to wait it out to see what other schools are selling. I think it could help BYU convince a few more of their legacy kids to sign early before they get lured away by bigger options.

Seattle is dropping truth bombs.

BYU has scheduled themselves a perfect schedule. If I were BYU, I'd play in Hawaii every year. They only have 5 real games next year: LSU, Utah, Wisconsin, Mississippi St, and Boise St.

They will win 8+ games. The real test is what they do in their 5 game schedule, 2-3 might get them ranked. 1-4 gets them nothing.

Utah tends to blow BYU out every 3-4 years. They are due for a blowout this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Utes get a pair of DB commits out of Texas. And by pair, I mean, twins. Zyon and Tristin McCollum.

Maybe it was to distract myself from basketball, but I was remembering to last June when these CB brothers were the only commits that we had for 2017 and how concerned I felt about that. Turns out we weren't even able to keep these two on board, losing them to Sam Houston State and having to settle for DB guys like Jaylon Johnson, Corrion Ballard, Javelin Guidry and Tareke Lewis.

This was posted by Utah Football this morning. Anyone know any more details as in what took a month to sort out?