Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Recruiting Discussion Thread

As of midnight, coaches can now retweet recruits. My feed is literally two years of retweets by Utah Football. Weeeeeeee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Utes pick up a QB commit today. I guess now we just hope the Sears goes to Duke.

Jason Shelley out of Texas. http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofuspor...-jason-shelley

Good news. I guess this means Sears is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Not sure. With the new recruiting rules they can retweet/like recruits tweets and they retweeted one of his

Can't have too many good QB's on the roster. Or do you think he'll bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Not sure. With the new recruiting rules they can retweet/like recruits tweets and they retweeted one of his

I think we're still in his top four (he's been pretty silent for a few weeks) but I think this means that there was some writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Can't have too many good QB's on the roster. Or do you think he'll bolt?
    Sears is another '17 QB that we were pursuing.

Semisi Lauaki

This might not be the right thread for this but it's my first post so go easy.

2016 commit Semisi Lauaki received his mission call to Papua New Guinea. He doesn't report until December so he will miss three seasons, 2016, 2017 and 2018. I know it's a long way off, but he is a good kid and is looking forward to being a Ute.

In case you are not familiar with his situation, he has not had an easy life. Both of his parents died. It's a couple of years old, but here is a pretty cool story about his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner Ute View Post
    This might not be the right thread for this but it's my first post so go easy.

2016 commit Semisi Lauaki received his mission call to Papua New Guinea. He doesn't report until December so he will miss three seasons, 2016, 2017 and 2018. I know it's a long way off, but he is a good kid and is looking forward to being a Ute.

In case you are not familiar with his situation, he has not had an easy life. Both of his parents died. It's a couple of years old, but here is a pretty cool story about his family.

I wonder why he doesn't play this fall and then head out, like Chase Hansen did.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I wonder why he doesn't play this fall and then head out, like Chase Hansen did.
    I thought the same thing. Great read, by the way.

I think he was expecting to go much sooner so he didn't enroll. The December date was a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner Ute View Post
    I think he was expecting to go much sooner so he didn't enroll. The December date was a surprise.
    Well, maybe he will get a special 18 month mission (or less).

Sears to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Sears to Duke.
    Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Works for me!
    Yep. Second best case scenario here. Also saw that this means that UCLA or USC have a QB this cycle. Given that all the QBs in the Top 300 guys are committed somewhere, it's likely that that don't take one this class.

it's likely that that don't take one this class.
    May it come back to haunt them both!

Scout just released this list of the 30 best prospects in Utah for 2017. No Utah commits yet. Is four 4 star guys a record for the state?

http://www.scout.com/college/footbal...state-rankings

I'm not sure where else to put this, but found it interesting. I wonder if Holiday is still close with him. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime...knifepoint.ece

This would be okay.

There are some twitter rumblings that Johnny Lang from East is coming to Utah and will be on campus next week. Probably would be a guy who couldn't join the team until after the season...but that's just a guess.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    There are some twitter rumblings that Johnny Lang from East is coming to Utah and will be on campus next week. Probably would be a guy who couldn't join the team until after the season...but that's just a guess.
    I'm always a little skeptical of East High. Who is this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I'm never skeptical of East High. Who is this guy?

Great high school player, went back to Florida to do some jail time (or something similar) and now will most likely join the Utes. He is a push forward I do believe...I'm not sure how that works. If he plays this year or is a gray shirt or has to pay his own way...But, he was a great high school player.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Great high school player, went back to Florida to do some jail time (or something similar) and now will most likely join the Utes. He is a push forward I do believe...I'm not sure how that works. If he plays this year or is a gray shirt or has to pay his own way...But, he was a great high school player.
    Thanks...welcome back.

What position does he play?

If I recall correctly, he can play this year. He is eligible right away, I do believe. With how Fulks has played, and Patrick and Butler-Byrd coming back, it might be tough for him to find the field this year, especially having missed all of fall camp, etc. But, he looks to be a really, really good player.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Thanks...welcome back.

What position does he play?
    He was a QB in high school. He will be a RB or WR. Similar to Covey. Who knows, maybe a CB. lol.

He was a QB in high school. He will be a RB or WR. Similar to Covey. Who knows, maybe a CB. lol.
    Good news! I want as many WRs as possible, even if they are from East. Maybe a redshirt year is a good thing if he's had recent trouble with the law.

If he is from EHS, I am confident in saying that he was framed.

If he is from EHS, I am confident in saying that he was framed.
    he was in my son's hs class. Had a scholie offer from WVU and elsewhere before he got in trouble in Florida. Had to go serve 90 days after graduation. Wears Ute gear all the time, wants to go to the U. couldnt be offered a scholie until he completed his sentence.

He is a little taller than Covey, much stronger in the upper body, and faster. He was lights out as an option qb last year. He had a couple of td runs against Timpview in the championship game that were amazing. he lowered his head and ran over lb's and outran the db's.

I would assume he wnt play this year but will join the team in January.

BTW, my son tells me that east this year, the entire offensive line has Pac 12 or P5 scholie offers (not sure which).
    Last edited by concerned; 08-26-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Just for clarification, he's serving time for an offense that took place in Florida in '14. He spent a year in Salt Lake living with a friend to get out of his environment that was Florida. He's kept his nose clean for the year he's already spent in Utah. I have no reservations about him being a site and am really excited about today's news.

Just for clarification, he's serving time for an offense that took place in Florida in '14. He spent a year in Salt Lake living with a friend to get out of his environment that was Florida. He's kept his nose clean for the year he's already spent in Utah. I have no reservations about him being a site and am really excited about today's news.

My son got to know him pretty well and really liked him. There was an article in the Trib last November

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3166254...-quarterback-a

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    BTW, my son tells me that east this year, the entire offensive line has Pac 12 or P5 scholie offers (not sure which).
    I've heard similar from other kids at East as well. Apparently there are 2 new players brought over from the islands who are big and fast.

East should roll through 4A this year and would probably dominate 5A as well.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."