Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California Dreamin - Utah visits UCLA & USC

California Dreamin - Utah visits UCLA & USC

With the league's top two teams going a combined 0-4 on the road this past weekend, and Arizona surging, the road trip in LA takes on much more importance than perhaps it did a week ago. Even the DNF-Atology projections have shifted, giving the Utes a road split in projection #3, whereas the previous two had us going 0-2 on this road swing.

After a terrible result on the road in Oregon last week, the Utes came home and "got right" against the Washington schools. Poetel has been playing lights out and the rest of the team has been rounding into form as well with just five games remaining down the stretch...and this is the final road tilt of the season before we welcome in the Arizona schools and the Buffs.

If the Utes can win both this week, we have the opportunity to control our own destiny in getting a top 2 seed in Vegas. A split positions us for a top four seed in vegas and going o-2 on this roadie means that at a minimum, we need to go 3-0 at home to finish the season in order to get a top 4 seed in Vegas and look good in the eyes of the committee.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I think we will take UCLA, lose to USC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think we will take UCLA, lose to USC.

I feel a split as well but so much depends on our guard play which has been frustratingly inconsistent. We could easily go anywhere from sweeping to being swept.

Hopefully the reemergence of Taylor is here to stay.

You know Enfield has has this game marked down since the schedule came out. We gotta be on our toes for this one. If Enfield chooses to run it up, you know he will.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You know Enfield has has this game marked down since the schedule came out. We gotta be on our toes for this one. If Enfield chooses to run it up, you know he will.
    Why? what am i not remembering?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Oooh! Oooh! I missed that one. This will be interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I feel a split as well but so much depends on our guard play which has been frustratingly inconsistent. We could easily go anywhere from sweeping to being swept.

Hopefully the reemergence of Taylor is here to stay.
    I'm not sure he's re-emerged. Maybe he just does better against lower-level competition. I don't know.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The reemergence of Taylor is here to stay as long as we are playing at home, maybe.

Home court against poor competition and Taylor and Loveridge will be lights out. Jimmer Freddette (D league mvp has taught us that).

haha...that's a good one. Unfortunately, I very much do agree with that sentiment. Taylor and Loveridge seem to be that way. If I were coaching an opponent, I were heavily pressure Utah's guards and just let Jakob have his points. Probably run a pressure-heavy 3-2 defense.

#1 -- I don't think our guards can shoot under pressure and are less athletic (sans Bonam)
    #2 -- Our guards would have a problem passing

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

I'm not sure he's re-emerged. Maybe he just does better against lower-level competition. I don't know.

UCLA has gobs more talent than any team we've beaten on the road this year. USC hasn't lost at home. I'm resigned to having beat Arizona in order to finish 11-7 and get a top 4 seed in Vegas. 10-8 won't cut it.

UCLA has gobs more talent than any team we've beaten on the road this year. USC hasn't lost at home. I'm resigned to having beat Arizona in order to finish 11-7 and get a top 4 seed in Vegas. 10-8 won't cut it.
    Interesting you say that, because I was just thinking today that this is probably UCLA's least talented team (in terms of NBA talent) we've seen in at least a few years. I'm not sure there's one sure-fire NBA player on the roster. Maybe Thomas Welsh in a couple years? The best shot would probably be one of the two freshmen (Aaron Holiday or Prince Ali), but both are probably at least a couple years away. There's certainly not a Norman Powell, Kevon Looney, Jordan Adams, Kyle Anderson, Zach LaVine, etc on this squad.

With that said... I agree, this is a Bruin team that is much more talented than their record indicates. Bryce Alford, Tony Parker, Isaac Hamilton, Thomas Welsh are fine college players and we're going to have our hands full. I'd be interested to see what the line is when it comes out tomorrow. I'd bet it opens about -1.5 for UCLA.

In terms of NBA talent, Washington has two possible first round draft picks in this year's class. Duke ("neutral" game) has two as well. CU also a pretty talented team, although probably only one (fringe) NBA guy (Scott).

And the opening line is -1 for UCLA

Am I wrong in thinking that UCLA goes as Alford goes? Seems like when he's on they usually win and do well.

Have to wonder what the crowd will be like as well.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that UCLA goes as Alford goes? Seems like when he's on they usually win and do well.

I'm worried about Parker and Welsh on the glass. In the UCLA games I've seen, Welsh was kind of a sneaky rebounder.

Got home from work in time for the start of the 2nd half. Any quick first half summaries?

I'm at the game. Pretty small crowd, upper bowl empty (except for us Utah fans).

Sancho: First half was tit-for-tat. UCLA doubled Jakob a lot, he burned then with passes. As you can see he's opened up in the 2nd half. 51-40 Utah.

Last edited by LA Ute; 02-18-2016 at 09:18 PM.

--Yeats

Please Larry don't take the air out of the ball.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Please Larry don't take the air out of the ball.

Looks like they're still attacking but waiting a bit before doing it. If that makes sense.

Last edited by LA Ute; 02-18-2016 at 09:36 PM.

--Yeats

Walton is right...that was a terrible call.

#21 looks promising...is he New?

The way we play with lead, I'm still very worried.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Here we go again.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    The way we play with lead, I'm still very worried.

We are accomplished at collapsing.

--Yeats

Why in the hell do we suck so much with a lead?

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Stepping on the end line is another specialty.

--Yeats

Why take that trey, Jordan?

--Yeats

Better guard the 3...

We could use a stop here with :55 to go.

--Yeats

(in the huddle) "Let's just try to not foul someone, you know, shooting a 3"